* suspending in kvm and resuming in qemu
@ 2011-01-18 12:08 Mehul Chadha
From: Mehul Chadha @ 2011-01-18 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi,

I have been trying to get suspending and resuming done across kvm and qemu.
While resuming a suspended state in kvm, an error was generated saying "unknown section kvmclock" . I modified loadvm in qemu to neglect the kvmclock section.

Now, when I suspend and resume, qemu screen just stalls at the suspended state and it seems nothing is executing.

Pls give any inputs or help, where should I start looking at??

Thanks,
Mehul

* Re: suspending in kvm and resuming in qemu
@ 2011-01-20 16:11 ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2011-01-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Chadha; +Cc: kvm

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:08:33AM -0800, Mehul Chadha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get suspending and resuming done across kvm and qemu.
> While resuming a suspended state in kvm, an error was generated saying "unknown section kvmclock" . I modified loadvm in qemu to neglect the kvmclock section.
>
> Now, when I suspend and resume, qemu screen just stalls at the suspended state and it seems nothing is executing.
>
> Pls give any inputs or help, where should I start looking at??
>
> Thanks,
> Mehul

The guest relies on kvmclock support, which is not implemented by qemu
alone. So you'd have to disable kvmclock support (with no-kvmclock
kernel boot option) in the guest.

* Re: suspending in kvm and resuming in qemu
@ 2011-01-27 14:06   ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2011-01-27 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti; +Cc: Mehul Chadha, kvm

On 01/20/2011 06:11 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 04:08:33AM -0800, Mehul Chadha wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >
> >  I have been trying to get suspending and resuming done across kvm and qemu.
> >  While resuming a suspended state in kvm, an error was generated saying "unknown section kvmclock" . I modified loadvm in qemu to neglect the kvmclock section.
> >
> >  Now, when I suspend and resume, qemu screen just stalls at the suspended state and it seems nothing is executing.
> >
> >  Pls give any inputs or help, where should I start looking at??
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >  Mehul
>
> The guest relies on kvmclock support, which is not implemented by qemu
> alone. So you'd have to disable kvmclock support (with no-kvmclock
> kernel boot option) in the guest.

Or with -cpu qemu64,-kvmclock on the qemu command line.