* [Qemu-devel] New stable branch information
@ 2011-02-04 12:25 Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-02-04 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Justin M. Forbes

To help make the stable branch more active than it has been in the past,
I'd like to split the stable branch into a separate tree to allow the
tree to develop a life of its own over time.

I'd like to begin this process with 0.14 and as such, have created a new
stable tree at git://git.qemu.org/qemu-stable-0.14.git.

Justin Forbes has volunteered to help collect patches for this tree.
The same stable rules still apply: patches should go into master first
except for rare exceptions where that's feasible.

I plan on making the stable-0.14 branch in git be a mirror of the
stable-0.14.git tree so it shouldn't really affect most people.
However, I probably won't set this up until after next week.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New stable branch information
@ 2011-02-04 19:26 ` Aurelien Jarno
From: Aurelien Jarno @ 2011-02-04 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Justin M. Forbes, qemu-devel

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 06:25:26AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> To help make the stable branch more active than it has been in the
> past, I'd like to split the stable branch into a separate tree to
> allow the tree to develop a life of its own over time.
>
> I'd like to begin this process with 0.14 and as such, have created a
> new stable tree at git://git.qemu.org/qemu-stable-0.14.git.
>
> Justin Forbes has volunteered to help collect patches for this tree.
> The same stable rules still apply: patches should go into master
> first except for rare exceptions where that's feasible.

I think this kind of job is more than just collecting patches, it also
means following the development, to identify patches that may apply to
stable, possibly asking the authors their opinion if the patch should be
applied to stable.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New stable branch information
@ 2011-02-04 20:48   ` Justin M. Forbes
From: Justin M. Forbes @ 2011-02-04 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Jarno; +Cc: Anthony Liguori, qemu-devel

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 20:26 +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 06:25:26AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > To help make the stable branch more active than it has been in the
> > past, I'd like to split the stable branch into a separate tree to
> > allow the tree to develop a life of its own over time.
> >
> > I'd like to begin this process with 0.14 and as such, have created a
> > new stable tree at git://git.qemu.org/qemu-stable-0.14.git.
> >
> > Justin Forbes has volunteered to help collect patches for this tree.
> > The same stable rules still apply: patches should go into master
> > first except for rare exceptions where that's feasible.
> >

> I think this kind of job is more than just collecting patches, it also
> means following the development, to identify patches that may apply to
> stable, possibly asking the authors their opinion if the patch should be
> applied to stable.

Absolutely, though it is also very helpful if the maintainers let us
know when they think a patch needs to be in stable as well.

Justin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New stable branch information
@ 2011-02-05  9:11 ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2011-02-05  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Justin M. Forbes, qemu-devel

04.02.2011 15:25, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> To help make the stable branch more active than it has been in the past,
> I'd like to split the stable branch into a separate tree to allow the
> tree to develop a life of its own over time.

What's the difference between a separate tree and a branch in main tree?
Why separate tree is needed?  As far as I can see, both serves the same
purpose, but to me a separate branch is easier to handle (comparing etc).

/mjt

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New stable branch information
@ 2011-02-07 13:07   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-02-07 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Tokarev; +Cc: Justin M. Forbes, qemu-devel

On 02/05/2011 03:11 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 04.02.2011 15:25, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
>> To help make the stable branch more active than it has been in the past,
>> I'd like to split the stable branch into a separate tree to allow the
>> tree to develop a life of its own over time.
>>
> What's the difference between a separate tree and a branch in main tree?
> Why separate tree is needed?  As far as I can see, both serves the same
> purpose, but to me a separate branch is easier to handle (comparing etc).

Without overhauling how we host our git tree, I can't give fine grain
access to specific branches.

I'm going to look into that in the not too distant future but it's not
going to happen short term.

So for now, we'll have separate trees and I'll work on getting the right
infrastructure such that we can have one.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2011-02-07 14:09     ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2011-02-07 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Justin M. Forbes, Michael Tokarev, qemu-devel

Anthony Liguori <anthony@codemonkey.ws> writes:

> On 02/05/2011 03:11 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> 04.02.2011 15:25, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>>> To help make the stable branch more active than it has been in the past,
>>> I'd like to split the stable branch into a separate tree to allow the
>>> tree to develop a life of its own over time.
>>>
>> What's the difference between a separate tree and a branch in main tree?
>> Why separate tree is needed?  As far as I can see, both serves the same
>> purpose, but to me a separate branch is easier to handle (comparing etc).
>>

> Without overhauling how we host our git tree, I can't give fine grain
> access to specific branches.
>
> I'm going to look into that in the not too distant future but it's not
> going to happen short term.
>
> So for now, we'll have separate trees and I'll work on getting the
> right infrastructure such that we can have one.

You go ahead do what you think is right, but I wouldn't bother with
this.  Separate trees are easier to set up and maintain, and they're
almost as easy to use: just pull from all the trees you're interested.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New stable branch information
@ 2011-02-07 14:32       ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-02-07 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster; +Cc: Michael Tokarev, Justin M. Forbes, qemu-devel

On 02/07/2011 08:09 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Anthony Liguori<anthony@codemonkey.ws>  writes:

>>> What's the difference between a separate tree and a branch in main tree?
>>> Why separate tree is needed?  As far as I can see, both serves the same
>>> purpose, but to me a separate branch is easier to handle (comparing etc).
>>>

>> Without overhauling how we host our git tree, I can't give fine grain
>> access to specific branches.
>>
>> I'm going to look into that in the not too distant future but it's not
>> going to happen short term.
>>
>> So for now, we'll have separate trees and I'll work on getting the
>> right infrastructure such that we can have one.
>>
> You go ahead do what you think is right, but I wouldn't bother with
> this.  Separate trees are easier to set up and maintain, and they're
> almost as easy to use: just pull from all the trees you're interested.

Yeah, for folks that aren't familiar with remotes, it's worth reading
http://gitref.org/remotes/#remote

I have probably a couple dozen remotes in my qemu tree.  Once it's
setup, there's really no difference in working with a branch in a
different tree than working with one on origin.

But I still like the idea of a single tree.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori