* Re: AMI Aptio EFI booting problems on ASUS G73SW-A1
@ 2011-02-06  2:57 Nate Weibley
From: Nate Weibley @ 2011-02-06  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM, <grub-devel-request@gnu.org> wrote:

> Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:19:34 +0300
> From: Vladimir '?-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko     <phcoder@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: AMI Aptio EFI booting problems on ASUS G73SW-A1
> To: grub-devel@gnu.org
>
> On 02/04/2011 04:54 PM, Nate Weibley wrote:
> > Hey GRUB devs,
> >
> > I've been having some trouble getting GRUB2 to load Arch x86_64 on my
> > ASUS G73SW-A1. Specifically, if I do not specify noefi on the kernel
> > command line in my grub.cfg everything stalls at initrd.
> I don't think that it gets so far as initrd and actually panics early.
> > I'm building GRUB2 from the bzr repo, so to my knowledge it should be
> > up-to-date.
> >
> "noefi" isn't handled at all by GRUB itself. It's just a parameter that
> it transfers to linux. So if it makes a difference. It's either:
> a) (most likely) Linux doesn't handle your EFI either because of EFI or
> Linux bugs
> b) GRUB passes incorrect EFI pointers. Considering that this operation
> is trivial, I think this is unlikely.
> GRUB can't do anything for (a). Well it could but not anything in a sane
> way. I suggest trying different Linuxes (kernels) E.g. Ubuntu, Debian,
> Red Hat, git.
>
> > I substituted noefi for add_efi_memmap and added set debug=all before
> > initrd is used.
> >
> add_efi_memmap should do any difference at all. It just makes Linux redo
> some of GRUB's job.
> > The system stalled again, but I did get /some /debugging output. A
> > link to the output is below; apologies for having to take a picture
> > with my cell phone as the laptop does not have a usable serial port
> > for capture.
> > http://imgur.com/40lLO
> > I should point out that adding set debug=all appears to stall the
> > system at the same point even if noefi is still set for the kernel...
> > so perhaps this stall is not indicative of the initrd failure. I read
> > through the thread suggesting that there was a bug present with system
> > over 8GB, but it was my impression that the bug was patched.
> Are you sure? It may be indicative of a failure when printing debug
> output. Previously there was such bug when GRUB tried to use already
> finalised EFI services to print debug output but AFAICT it's already fixed.
> > If I can provide any additional info or take any additional debugging
> > steps, please let me know.
> >
> > --
> > --Nate Weibley

> Regards
> Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko

Vladimir,
Per your suggestion I tried other linux distros with various kernels. So far
none of the EFI enabled distros are working. They do work if booted via BIOS
though, of course. Windows 7 64bit *does * boot appropriately via EFI, so
it's hard to say where the fault is. If Windows is booting though, it seems
more likely something is going wrong in the Linux kernel EFI handling, or
perhaps as you say GRUB is passing incorrect pointers. Either way, they all
exhibit the exact same behavior... the kernel is loaded, and at the point
init should be called, the system stalls with no debug or error message.

I will continue testing as kernel revisions are released, but I'm not sure
how else I can bang away at trying to get EFI to boot without any sort of
error message or debugging info.

--
--Nate Weibley

* Re: AMI Aptio EFI booting problems on ASUS G73SW-A1
@ 2011-02-06  4:56 ` Bruce Dubbs
From: Bruce Dubbs @ 2011-02-06  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Nate Weibley wrote:

> Per your suggestion I tried other linux distros with various kernels. So far
> none of the EFI enabled distros are working. They do work if booted via BIOS
> though, of course. Windows 7 64bit *does * boot appropriately via EFI, so
> it's hard to say where the fault is. If Windows is booting though, it seems
> more likely something is going wrong in the Linux kernel EFI handling, or
> perhaps as you say GRUB is passing incorrect pointers. Either way, they all
> exhibit the exact same behavior... the kernel is loaded, and at the point
> init should be called, the system stalls with no debug or error message.
>
> I will continue testing as kernel revisions are released, but I'm not sure
> how else I can bang away at trying to get EFI to boot without any sort of
> error message or debugging info.

I am not an expert in GRUB or EFI, but what it sounds like to me is that
the initrd for the systems you are using does not have EFI support.

Personally, I never use initrd but build my own kernels with all
capabilities needed built in (not modules).  You can test this by
building your own kernel and ensure EFI_PARTITION is built in during the
configure phase.

   -> File systems

      -> Partition Types

          -> Advanced partition selection (PARTITION_ADVANCED [=y])

Then if the kernel image is, say, /boot/linux-2.6.37, an entry in
boot.cfg like:

menuentry "My test kernel" {
         set root=(hd0,<your partition>)
         linux   /boot/linux-2.6.37 root=/dev/<your partition> ro
}

would be all that's needed.

That may not be your final answer, but if it does boot, then GRUB is
doing it's job and the problem is in the distro you are using.

   -- Bruce

* Re: AMI Aptio EFI booting problems on ASUS G73SW-A1
@ 2011-02-06 11:40   ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2011-02-06 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On 02/06/2011 07:56 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Nate Weibley wrote:
>
>> Per your suggestion I tried other linux distros with various kernels.
>> So far
>> none of the EFI enabled distros are working. They do work if booted
>> via BIOS
>> though, of course. Windows 7 64bit *does * boot appropriately via
>> EFI, so
>> it's hard to say where the fault is. If Windows is booting though, it
>> seems
>> more likely something is going wrong in the Linux kernel EFI
>> handling, or
>> perhaps as you say GRUB is passing incorrect pointers. Either way,
>> they all
>> exhibit the exact same behavior... the kernel is loaded, and at the
>> point
>> init should be called, the system stalls with no debug or error message.
>>
>> I will continue testing as kernel revisions are released, but I'm not
>> sure
>> how else I can bang away at trying to get EFI to boot without any
>> sort of
>> error message or debugging info.
>
> I am not an expert in GRUB or EFI, but what it sounds like to me is
> that the initrd for the systems you are using does not have EFI support.
>
> Personally, I never use initrd but build my own kernels with all
> capabilities needed built in (not modules).  You can test this by
> building your own kernel and ensure EFI_PARTITION is built in during
> the configure phase.
>
>   -> File systems
>      -> Partition Types
>          -> Advanced partition selection (PARTITION_ADVANCED [=y])

This answer is 100 % irrelevant. Don't confuse EFI and GPT.

@ 2011-02-06 12:34 ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2011-02-06 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

On 02/06/2011 05:57 AM, Nate Weibley wrote:
> [...]
>     > Grub-devel mailing list
>     > Grub-devel@gnu.org <mailto:Grub-devel@gnu.org>
>     >

>     --
>     Regards
>     Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
>
> Vladimir,
> Per your suggestion I tried other linux distros with various kernels.
> So far none of the EFI enabled distros are working. They do work if
> booted via BIOS though, of course. Windows 7 64bit /does / boot
> appropriately via EFI, so it's hard to say where the fault is. If
> Windows is booting though, it seems more likely something is going
> wrong in the Linux kernel EFI handling, or perhaps as you say GRUB is
> passing incorrect pointers. Either way, they all exhibit the exact
> same behavior... the kernel is loaded, and at the point init should be
> called, the system stalls with no debug or error message.
On EFI Linux has no early printk other than to a serial. So you receive
no messages unless you're connected to serial. It makes diagnosis much
more difficult.

@ 2011-02-06 17:07   ` Nate Weibley
From: Nate Weibley @ 2011-02-06 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

2011/2/6 Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <phcoder@gmail.com>

> [...]
> > booted via BIOS though, of course. Windows 7 64bit /does / boot
> > appropriately via EFI, so it's hard to say where the fault is. If
> > Windows is booting though, it seems more likely something is going
> > wrong in the Linux kernel EFI handling, or perhaps as you say GRUB is
> > passing incorrect pointers. Either way, they all exhibit the exact
> > same behavior... the kernel is loaded, and at the point init should be
> > called, the system stalls with no debug or error message.
> On EFI Linux has no early printk other than to a serial. So you receive
> no messages unless you're connected to serial. It makes diagnosis much
> more difficult.
> --
> Regards
> Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
>

> I'll say! I was hoping there would be a way to pass messages back through
grub like some sort of virtual serial port or to virtualize this but allow
interaction with my actual system EFI. Barring that, I can't even fathom how
I'd approach the next step of debugging. AFAIK this chipset doesn't
even *support
*legacy serial, so I couldn't even open my laptop and tap into some
traces/pads to get RS-232 out. I guess the best I can do is wait and see if
future kernels adhere more closely to the pure EFI spec and hope that's what
is allowing windows to boot.

--
--Nate Weibley

* Re: AMI Aptio EFI booting problems on ASUS G73SW-A1
@ 2011-02-04 16:19 ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2011-02-04 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

@ 2011-02-04 13:54 Nate Weibley
From: Nate Weibley @ 2011-02-04 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hey GRUB devs,

I've been having some trouble getting GRUB2 to load Arch x86_64 on my ASUS
G73SW-A1. Specifically, if I do not specify noefi on the kernel command line
in my grub.cfg everything stalls at initrd. I'm building GRUB2 from the bzr

@ 2011-02-03 20:10 Nate Weibley
From: Nate Weibley @ 2011-02-03 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel