* [U-Boot] SATA support?
@ 2011-02-08 21:58 Aaron Williams
From: Aaron Williams @ 2011-02-08 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I'm trying to compile AHCI support but I'm running into a lot of problems. It
looks like AHCI is based off of SCSI whereas other SATA drivers appear not to
be. Is ahci.c being maintained or should I use one of the other drivers?
Currently for my testing I have a couple Silicon Image 3132 PCIe boards.

-Aaron Williams

* [U-Boot] SATA support?
@ 2011-02-09  6:08 ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2011-02-09  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Aaron,

Le 08/02/2011 22:58, Aaron Williams a ?crit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile AHCI support but I'm running into a lot of problems. It
> looks like AHCI is based off of SCSI whereas other SATA drivers appear not to
> be. Is ahci.c being maintained or should I use one of the other drivers?
> Currently for my testing I have a couple Silicon Image 3132 PCIe boards.
>
> -Aaron Williams

I cannot answer on SATA[/PCIe] as such, but depending on your
requirements and your hardware, you may possibly find it easier to use
IDE/(P)ATA hardware emulation like I did on the ARM edminiv2 board.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.

* [U-Boot] SATA support?
@ 2011-02-10  1:23   ` Aaron Williams
From: Aaron Williams @ 2011-02-10  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:08:12 pm Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Le 08/02/2011 22:58, Aaron Williams a ?crit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to compile AHCI support but I'm running into a lot of
> > problems. It looks like AHCI is based off of SCSI whereas other SATA
> > drivers appear not to be. Is ahci.c being maintained or should I use one
> > of the other drivers? Currently for my testing I have a couple Silicon
> > Image 3132 PCIe boards.
> >
> > -Aaron Williams
>
> I cannot answer on SATA[/PCIe] as such, but depending on your
> requirements and your hardware, you may possibly find it easier to use
> IDE/(P)ATA hardware emulation like I did on the ARM edminiv2 board.
>
> Amicalement,

One problem is that we're already using the IDE/(P)ATA for our compact flash
which is not on the PCI bus. I was hoping to use the SATA  AHCI support but it
looks like it hasn't been maintained.

-Aaron

* [U-Boot] SATA support?
@ 2011-02-10 12:08     ` Albert ARIBAUD
From: Albert ARIBAUD @ 2011-02-10 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Le 10/02/2011 02:23, Aaron Williams a ?crit :
> On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:08:12 pm Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> Le 08/02/2011 22:58, Aaron Williams a ?crit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to compile AHCI support but I'm running into a lot of
>>> problems. It looks like AHCI is based off of SCSI whereas other SATA
>>> drivers appear not to be. Is ahci.c being maintained or should I use one
>>> of the other drivers? Currently for my testing I have a couple Silicon
>>> Image 3132 PCIe boards.
>>>
>>> -Aaron Williams
>>
>> I cannot answer on SATA[/PCIe] as such, but depending on your
>> requirements and your hardware, you may possibly find it easier to use
>> IDE/(P)ATA hardware emulation like I did on the ARM edminiv2 board.
>>
>> Amicalement,
>
> One problem is that we're already using the IDE/(P)ATA for our compact flash
> which is not on the PCI bus. I was hoping to use the SATA  AHCI support but it
> looks like it hasn't been maintained.

Hmm... I see an awful hack coming: you could try and define
CONFIG_SYS_ATA_BASE_ADDR, CONFIG_SYS_ATA_IDE0_OFFSET and
CONFIG_SYS_ATA_IDE1_OFFSET so that IDE0 points to the CompactFlash port
and IDE1 points to the SATA compatibility register. Not sure how this
would work out as a not-so-quick-but-very-dirty fix.

The cleaner way would be to modify cmd_ide.c to not limit itself to two
ports, and not use offsets but a real port base, and then in your case,
properly declare IDE0 and IDE1 for CompactFlash and SATA respectively.

I had started such work, actually, to support a LaCie board with two
SATA controllers with four ports each; I'll try and dig it out.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.