* md road-map: 2011
@ 2011-02-16 10:27 NeilBrown
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: NeilBrown @ 2011-02-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

I all,
 I wrote this today and posted it at
http://neil.brown.name/blog/20110216044002

I thought it might be worth posting it here too...

NeilBrown

-------------------------

It is about 2 years since I last published a road-map[1] for md/raid
so I thought it was time for another one.  Unfortunately quite a few
things on the previous list remain undone, but there has been some
progress.

I think one of the problems with some to-do lists is that they aren't
detailed enough.  High-level design, low level design, implementation,
and testing are all very different sorts of tasks that seem to require
different styles of thinking and so are best done separately.  As
writing up a road-map is a high-level design task it makes sense to do
the full high-level design at that point so that the tasks are
detailed enough to be addressed individually with little reference to
the other tasks in the list (except what is explicit in the road map).

A particular need I am finding for this road map is to make explicit
the required ordering and interdependence of certain tasks.  Hopefully
that will make it easier to address them in an appropriate order, and
mean that I waste less time saying "this is too hard, I might go read
some email instead".

So the following is a detailed road-map for md raid for the coming
months.

[1] http://neil.brown.name/blog/20090129234603

Bad Block Log
-------------

As devices grow in capacity, the chance of finding a bad block
increases, and the time taken to recover to a spare also increases.
So the practice of ejecting a device from the array as soon as a
write-error is detected is getting more and more problematic.

For some time we have avoided ejecting devices for read errors, by
computing the expected data from elsewhere and writing back to the
device - hopefully fixing the read error.  However this cannot help
degraded arrays and they will still eject a device (and hence fail the
whole array) on a single read error.  This is not good.

A particular problem is that when a device does fail and we need to
recover the data, we typically read all of the other blocks on all
arrays.  If we are going to hit any read errors, this is the most
likely time, and also this is the worst possible time and it will mean
that the recovery doesn't complete and the array gets stuck in a
degraded state and is very susceptible to substantial loss if another
failure happens.

Part of the answer to this is to implement a "bad block log".  This is
a record of blocks that are known to be bad.  i.e. either a read or a
write has recently failed.  Doing this allows us to just eject that
block from the array rather than the whole devices.  Similarly instead
of failing the whole array, we can fail just one stripe.  Certainly
this can mean data loss, but the loss of a few K is much less
traumatic than the loss of a terabyte.

But using a bad block list isn't just about keeping the data loss
small, it can be about keeping it to zero.  If we get a write error on
a block in a non-degraded array, then recording the bad block means we
lose redundancy in just that stripe rather than losing it across the
whole array.  If we then lose a different block on a different drive,
the ability to record the bad block means that we can continue without
data loss.  Had we needed to eject both whole drives from the array we
would have lost access to all of our data.

The bad block list must be recorded to stable storage to be useful, so
it really needs to be on the same drives that store the data.  The
bad-block list for a particular device is only of any interest to that
device.  Keeping information about one device on another is pointless.
So we don't have a bad block list for the whole array, we keep
multiple lists, one for each device.

It would be best to keep at least two copies of the bad block list so
that if the place where the list goes bad we can keep working with the
device.  The same logic applies to other metadata which currently
cannot be duplicated.  So implementing this feature will not address
metadata redundancy.  A separate feature should address metadata
redundancy and it can duplicate the bad block list as well as other
metadata.

There are doubtlessly lots of ways that the bad block list could be
stored, but we need to settle on one.  For externally managed metadata
we need to make the list accessible via sysfs in a generic way so that
a user-space program can store is as appropriate.

So: for v0.90 we choose not to store a bad block list.  There isn't
anywhere convenient to store it and new installations of v0.90 are not
really encouraged.

For v1.x metadata we record in the metadata an offset (from the
superblock) and a size for a table, and a 'shift' value which can be
used to shift from sector addresses to block numbers.  Thus the unit
that is failed when an error is detected can be larger than one
sector.

Each entry in the table is 64bits in little-endian.   The most
significant 55 bits store a block number which allows for 16 exbibytes
with 512byte blocks, or more if a larger shift size is used.  The
remaining 9 bits store a length of the bad range which can range from
1 to 512.  As bad blocks can often be consecutive, this is expected to
allow the list to be quite efficient.  A value of all 1's cannot
correctly identify a bad range of blocks and so it is used to pad out
the tail of the list.

The bad block list is exposed through sysfs via a directory called
'badblocks' containing several attribute files.

"shift" stores the 'shift' number described above and can be set as
long as the bad block list is empty.

"all" and "unacknowledged" each contains a list of bad ranges, the
start (in blocks, not sectors) and the length (1-512).  Each can also
be written to with a string of the same format as is read out.  This
can be used to add bad blocks to the list or to acknowledge bad
blocks.  Writing effectively say "this bad range is securely recorded
on stable storage".

All bad blocks appear in the "badblocks/all" file.  Only "acknowledged"
bad blocks appear in "badblocks/unacknowledged".  These are ranges
which appear to be bad but are not known to be stored on stable
storage.

When md detects a write error or a read error which it cannot correct
it added the block and marks the range that it was part of as
'unacknowledged'.  Any write that depends on this block is then
blocked until the range is acknowledged.  This ensures that an
application isn't told that a write has succeeded until the data
really is safe.

If the bad block list is being managed by v1.x metadata internally,
then the bad block list will be written out and the ranges will be
acknowledged and writes unblocked automatically.

If the bad block list is being managed externally, then the bad ranges
will be reported in "unacknowledged_bad_blocks".  The metadata handler
should read this, update the on-disk metadata and write the range back
to "bad_blocks".  This completes the acknowledgment handshake and
writes can continue.

RAID1, RAID10 and RAID456 should all support bad blocks.  Every read
or write should perform a lookup of the bad block list.  If a read
finds a bad block, that device should be treated as failed for that
read.  This includes reads that are part of resync or recovery.

If a write finds a bad block there are two possible responses.  Either
the block can be ignored as with reads, or we can try to write the
data in the hope that it will fix the error.  Always taking the second
action would seem best as it allows blocks to be removed from the
bad-block list, but as a failing write can take a long time, there are
plenty of cases where it would not be good.

To choose between these we make the simple decision that once we see a
write error we never try to write to bad blocks on that device again.
This may not always be the perfect strategy, but it will effectively
address common scenarios.  So if a bad block is marked bad due to a
read error when the array was degraded, then a write (presumably from
the filesystem) will have the opportunity to correct the error.
However if it was marked bad due to a write error we don't risk paying
the penalty of more write errors.

This 'have seen a write error' status is not stored in the array
metadata.  So when restarting an array with some bad blocks, each
device will have one chance to prove that it can correctly handle
writes to a bad block.  If it can, the bad block will be removed from
the list and the data is that little bit safer.  If it cannot, no
further writes to bad blocks will be tried on the device until the
next array restart.

Hot Replace
-----------

"Hot replace" is my name for the process of replacing one device in an
array by another one without first failing the one device.  Thus there
can be two devices in an array filling the same 'role'.  One device
will contain all of the data, the other device will only contain some
of it and will be undergoing a 'recovery' process.  Once the second
device is fully recovered it is expected that the first device will be
removed from the array.

This can be useful whenever you want to replace a working device with
another device, without letting the array go degraded.  Two obvious
cases are:
 1/ when you want to replace a smaller device with a larger device
 2/ when you have a device with a number of bad blocks and want to
    replace it with a more reliable device.

For '2' to be realised, the bad block log described above must be
implemented, so it should be completed before this feature.

Hot replace is really only needed for RAID10 and RAID456.  For RAID1,
simply increasing the number of devices in the array while the new
device recovers, then failing the old device and decreasing the number
of devices in the array is sufficient.

For RAID0 or LINEAR it would be sufficient to:
 - stop the array
 - make a RAID1 without superblocks for the old and new device
 - re-assemble the array using the RAID1 in place of the old device.

This is certainly not as convenient but is sufficient for a case that
is not likely to be commonly needed.

So for both the RAID10 and RAID456 modules we need:
 - the ability to add a device as a hot-replace device for a specific
   slot
 - the ability to record hot-spare status in the metadata.
 - a 'recovery' process to rebuild a device, preferably only reading
   from the device to be replaced, though reading from elsewhere when
   needed
 - writes to go to both primary and secondary device.
 - Reads to come from either if the second has recovered far enough.
 - to promote a secondary device to primary when the primary device
   (that has a hot-replace device) fails.

It is not clear whether the primary should be automatically failed
when the rebuild of the secondary completes.  Commonly this would be
ideal, but if the secondary experienced any write errors (that were
recorded in the bad block log) then it would be best to leave both in
place until the sysadmin resolves the situation.   So in the first
implementation this failing should not be automatic.

The identification of a spare as a 'hot-replace' device is achieved
through the 'md/dev-XXXX/slot' sysfs attribute.  This is usually
'none' or a small integer identifying which slot in the array is
filled by this device.  A number followed by a plus (e.g. '1+') is
written, then the device takes the role of a hot-spare.  This syntax
requires there be at most one hot spare per slot.  This is a
deliberate decision to manage complexity in the code.  Allowing more
would be of minimal value but require substantial extra complexity.

v0.90 metadata is not supported.  v1.x sets a 'feature bit' on the
superblock of any 'hot-replace' device and naturally records in
'recover_offset' how far recovery has progressed.  Externally managed
metadata can support this, or not, as they choose.

Reversible Reshape
------------------

It is possible to start a reshape that cannot be reversed until the
reshape has completed.  This is occasionally problematic.  While we
might hope that users would never make errors, we should try to be as
forgiving as possible.

Reversing a reshape that changes the number of data-devices is
possible as we support both growing and shrinking and these happen in
opposite directions so one is the reverse of the other.  Thus at worst,
such a reshape can be reversed by:
 - stopping the array
 - re-writing the metadata so it looks like the change is going in the
   other direction
 - restarting the array.

However for a reshape that doesn't change the number of data devices,
such as a RAID5->RAID6 conversion or a change of chunk-size, reversal
is currently not possible as the change always goes in the same
direction.

This is currently only meaningful for RAID456, though at some later
date it might be relevant for RAID10.

A future change will make it possible to move the data_offset while
performing a reshape, and that will sometimes require the reshape to
progress in a certain direction.  It is only when the data_offset is
unchanged and the number of data disks is unchanged that there is any
doubt about direction.  In that case it needs to be explicitly stated.

We need:
 - some way to record in the metadata the direction of the reshape
 - some way to ask for a reshape to be started in the reverse
   direction
 - some way to reverse a reshape that is currently happening.

We have a new sysfs attribute "reshape_direction" which is
"low-to-high" or "high-to-low".  This defaults to "low-to-high" but
will be force to "high-to-low" if the particular reshape requires it,
or can be explicity set by a 'write' before the reshape commences.

Once the reshape has commenced, writing a new value to this field can
flip the reshape causing it to be reverted.

In both v0.90 and v1.x metadata we record a reversing reshape by
setting the most significant bit in reshape_position.  For v0.90 we
also increase the minor number to 91.  For v1.x we set a feature bit
as well.

Change data offset during reshape
---------------------------------

One of the biggest problems with reshape currently is the need for the
backup file.  This is a management problem as it cannot easily be
found at restart, and it is a performance problem as the extra writing
is expensive.

In some cases we can avoid the need for a backup file completely by
changing the data-offset.  i.e. the location on the devices where the
array data starts.

For reshapes that increase the number of devices, only a single backup
is required at the start.  If the data_offset is moved just one chunk
earlier we can do without a separate backup.  This obviously requires
that space was left when the array was first created.  Recent versions
of mdadm do leave some space with the default metadata, though more
would probably be good.

For reshapes that decrease the number of device, only a small backup
is required right at the end of the process (at the beginning of the
devices).  If we move the data_offset forward by one chunk that backup
too can be avoided.  As we are normally reducing the size of the array
in this process, we just need to reduce it a little bit more.

For reshapes that neither increase of decrease the number of devices a
somewhat larger change in data_offset is needed to get reasonable
performance.  A single chunk (of the larger chunk size) would work,
but would require updating the metadata after each chunk which would
be prohibitively slow unless chunks were very large.  A few megabytes
is probably sufficient for reasonable performance, though testing
would be helpful to be sure.  Current mdadm leaves no space at the
start of 1.0, and about 1Meg at the start of 1.1 and 1.2 arrays.

This will generally not be enough space.  In these cases it will
probably be best to perform the reshape in the reverse direction
(helped by the previous feature).  This will probably require
shrinking the filesystem and the array slightly first.  Future
versions of mdadm should aim to leave a few metabytes free at start
and end to make these reshapes work better.

Moving the data offset is not possible for 0.90 metadata as it does
not record a data offset.

For 1.x metadata it is possible to have a different data_offset on
each device.  However for simplicity we will only support changing the
data offset by the same amount on each device.  This amount will be
stored in currently-unused space in the 1.x metadata.  There will be a
sysfs attribute "delta_data_offset" which can be set to a number of
sectors - positive or negative - to request a change in the data
offset and thus avoid the need for a backup file.

Bitmap of non-sync regions.
---------------------------

There are a couple of reasons for having regions of an array that are known
not to contain important data and are known to not necessarily be
in-sync.

1/ When an array is first created it normally contains no valid data.
   The normal process of a 'resync' to make all parity/copies correct
   is largely a waste of time.
2/ When the filesystem uses a "discard" command to report that a
   region of the device is no-longer used it would be good to be able
   to pass this down to the underlying devices.  To do this safely we
   need to record at the md level that the region is unused so we
   don't complain about inconsistencies and don't try to re-sync the
   region after a crash.

If we record which regions are not in-sync in a bitmap then we can meet
both of these needs.

A read to a non-in-sync region would always return 0s.
A 'write' to a non-in-sync region should cause that region to be
resynced.  Writing zeros would in some sense be ideal, but to do that
we would have to block the write, which would be unfortunate.  As the
fs should not be reading from that area anyway, it shouldn't really
matter.

The granularity of the bit is probably quite hard to get right.
Having it match the block size would mean that no resync would be
needed and that every discard request could be handled exactly.
However it could result in a very large bitmap - 30 Megabytes for a 1
terabyte device with a 4K block size.  This would need to be kept in
memory and looked up for every access, which could be problematic.

Having a very coarse granularity would make storage and lookups more
efficient.  If we make sure the bitmap would fit in 4K, we would have
about 32 megabytes for bit.  This would mean that each time we
triggered a resync it would resync for a second or two which is
probably a reasonable time as it wouldn't happen very often.  But it
would also mean that we can only service a 'discard' request if it
covers whole blocks of 32 megabytes, and I really don't know how
likely that is.  Actually I'm not sure if anyone knows, the jury seems
to still be out on how 'discard' will work long-term.

So probably aiming for a few K to a few hundred K seems reasonable.
That means that the in-memory representation will have to be a
two-level array.  A page of pointers to other pages can cover (on a
64bit system) 512 pages or 2Meg of bitmap space which should be
enough.

As always we need a way to:
 - record the location and size of the bitmap in the metadata
 - allow the granularity to be set via sysfs
 - allow bits to be set via sysfs, and allow the current bitmap to
   be read via sysfs.

For v0.90 metadata we won't support this as there is no room.  We
could possibly store about 32 bytes directly in the superblock
allowing for 4Gig sections but this is unlikely to be really useful.

For v1.x metadata we use 8 bytes from the 'array state info'.  4 bytes
give an offset from the metadata of the start of the bitmap, 2 bytes
give the space reserved for the bitmap (max 32Meg) and 2 bytes give a
shift value from sectors to in-sync chunks.  The actual size of the
bitmap must be computed from the known size of the array and the size
of the chunks.

We present the bitmap in sysfs similar to the way we present the bad
block list.  A file 'non-sync/regions' contains start and size of regions
(measured in sectors) that are known to not be in-sync.  A file
'non-sync/now-in-sync' lists ranges that actually are in sync but have not been
recorded in non-in-sync yet.  User-space reads now-in-sync', updates
the metadata, and write to 'regions'.

Another file 'non-sync/to-discard' lists ranges for a which a discard
request has been made.  These need to be recorded in the metadata.
They are then written back to the file which allows the discard
request to complete.

The granularity can be set via sysfs by writing to
'non-sync/chunksize'.

Assume-clean when increasing array --size

When a RAID1 is created, --assume-clean can be given so that the
largely-unnecessary initial resync can be avoided.  When extending the
size of an array with --grow --size=, there is no way to specify
--assume-clean.

If a non-sync bitmap (see above) is configured this doesn't matter
that the extra space will simply be marked as non-in-sync.
However if a non-sync bitmap is not supported by the metadata or is
not configured it would be good if md/raid1 can be told not to sync
the extra space - to assume that it is in-sync.

So when a non-sync bitmap is not configured (the chunk-size is zero),
writing to the non-sync/regions file tells md that we don't care about the
region being in-sync.  So the sequence:
 - freeze sync_action
 - update size
 - write range to non-sync/regions
 - unfreeze sync_action

will effect a "--grow --size=bigger --assume-clean" reshape.

Enable 'reshape' to also perform 'recovery'.

As a 'reshape' re-writes all the data in the array it can quite easily
be used to recover to a spare device.  Normally these two operations
would happen separately.  However if a device fails during a reshape
and a spare is available it makes sense to combine them.

Currently if a device fails during a reshape (leaving the array
degraded but functional) the reshape will continue and complete.  Then
if a spare is available it will be recovered.  This means a longer
total time until the array is optimal.

When the device fails, the reshape actually aborts, and the restarts
from where it left off.  If instead we allow spares to be added
between the abort and the restart, and cause the 'reshape' to actually
do a recovery until it reaches the point where it was already up to,
then we minimise the time to getting an optimal array.

When reshaping an array to fewer devices, allow 'size' to be increased

The 'size' of an array is the amount of space on each device which is
used by the array.  Normally the 'size' of an array cannot be set
beyond the amount of space available on the smallest device.

However when reshaping an array to have fewer devices it can be useful
to be able to set the 'size' to be the smallest of the remaining
devices - those that will still be in use after the reshape.

Normally reshaping an array to have fewer devices will make the array
size smaller.  However if we can simultaneously increase the size of
the remaining devices, the array size can stay unchanged or even grow.

This can be used after replacing (ideally using hot-replace) a few
devices in the array with larger devices.  The net result will be a
similar amount of storage using few drives, each larger than before.

This should simply be a case of allowing size to be set larger when
delta_disks is negative.  It also requires that when converting the
excess device to spares, we fail them if they are smaller than the new
size.

As a reshape can be reversed, we must make sure to revert the size
change when reversing a reshape.

Allow write-intent-bitmap to be added to an array during reshape/recovery.

Currently it is not possible to add a write-intent-bitmap to an array
that is being reshaped/resynced/recovered.  There is no real
justification for this, it was just easier at the time.

Implementing this requires a review of all code relating to the
bitmap, checking that a bitmap appearing - or disappearing - during
these processes will not be a problem.  As the array is quiescent when
the bitmap is added, no IO will actually be happening so it *should*
be safe.

This should also allow a reshape to be started while a bitmap is
present, as long as the reshape doesn't change the implied size of the
bitmap.

Support resizing of write-intent-bitmap prior to reshape

When we increase the 'size' of an array (the amount of the device
used), that implies a change in size of the bitmap.  However the
kernel cannot unilaterally resize the bitmap as there may not be room.

Rather, mdadm needs to be able to resize the bitmap first.  This
requires the sysfs interface to expose the size of the bitmap - which
is currently implicit.

Whether the bitmap coverage is increased by increasing the number of
bits or increasing the chunk size, some updating of the bitmap storage
will be necessary (particularly in the second case).

So it makes sense to allow user-space to remove the bitmap then add a
new bitmap with a different configuration.  If there is concern about
a crash between these two, writes could be suspended for the (short)
duration.

Currently the 'sync_size' stored in the bitmap superblock is not used.
We could stop updating that, and could allow the bitmap to
automatically extend up to that boundary.

So: we have a well defined 'sync_size' which can be set via the
superblock or via sysfs.  A resize is permitted as long as there is no
bitmap, or the existing bitmap has a sufficiently large sync_size.

Support reshape of RAID10 arrays.
---------------------------------

RAID10 arrays currently cannot be reshaped at all.  It is possible to
convert a 'near' mode RAID10 to RAID0, but that is about all.   Some
real reshape is possible and should be implemented.

1/ A 'near' or 'offset' layout can have the device size changed quite
   easily.

2/ Device size of 'far' arrays cannot be changed easily.  Increasing device
   size of 'far' would require re-laying out a lot of data.  We would
   need to record the 'old' and 'new' sizes which metadata doesn't
   currently allow.  If we spent 8 bytes on this we could possibly
   manage a 'reverse reshape' style conversion here.

3/ Increasing the number of devices is much the same for all layouts.
   The data needs to be copied to the new location.  As we currently
   block IO while recovery is actually happening, we could just do
   that for reshape as well, and make sure reshape happens in whole
   chunks at a time (or whatever turns out to be the minimum
   recordable unit).  We switch to 'clean' before doing any reshape so
   a write will switch to 'dirty' and update the metadata.

4/ decreasing the number of devices is very much the reverse of
   increasing..
   Here is a weird thought:  We have introduced the idea that we can
   increase the size of remaining devices when we decrease the number
   of devices in the array.  For 'raid10-far', the re-layout for
   increasing the device size is very much like that for decreasing
   the number of devices - just that the number doesn't actually
   decrease.

5/ changing layouts between 'near' and 'offset' should be manageable
   providing enough 'backup' space is available.  We simply copy
   a few chunks worth of data and move reshape_position.

6/ changing layout to or from 'far' is nearly impossible...
   With a change in data_offset it might be possible to move one
   stripe at a time, always into the place just vacated.
   However keeping track of where we are and were it is safe to read
   from would be a major headache - unless it feel out with some
   really neat maths, which I don't think it does.
   So this option will be left out.

So the only 'instant' conversion possible is to increase the device
size for 'near' and 'offset' array.

'reshape' conversions can modify chunk size, increase/decrease number of
devices and swap between 'near' and 'offset' layout providing a
suitable number of chunks of backup space is available.

The device-size of a 'far' layout can also be changed by a reshape
providing the number of devices in not increased.

Better reporting of inconsistencies.
------------------------------------

When a 'check' finds a data inconsistency it would be useful if it
was reported.   That would allow a sysadmin to try to understand the
cause and possibly fix it.

One simple approach would be to simply log all inconsistencies through
the kernel logs.  This would have to be limited to 'check' and
possibly 'repair' passed as logging a 'sync' pass (which also find
inconsistencies) can be expected to be very noisy.

Another approach is to use a sysfs file to export a list of
addresses.  This would place some upper limit on the number of
addresses that could be listed, but if there are more inconsistencies
than that limit, then the details probably aren't all that important.

It makes sense to follow both of these paths.
 - some easy-to-parse logging of inconsistencies found.
 - a sysfs file that lists as many inconsistencies as possible.

Each inconsistency is listed as a simple sector offset.  For RAID1 and
RAID4/5/6, it is an offset from the start of data on the individual devices.  For
RAID1 and RAID10 it is an offset from the start of the array.  So this
can only be interpreted with a full understanding of the array layout.

The actual inconsistency may be in some sector immediately following
the given sector as md performs checks in blocks larger than one
sector and doesn't both refining.   So an process that uses this
information should read forward from the address to make sure it has
found all of the inconsistency.  For striped array, at most 1 chunk
need be examined.  For non-striped (i.e. RAID1) the window size is
currently 64K.  The actual size can be found by dividing
'mismatch_cnt' by the number of entries in the mismatch list.

This has no dependencies on other features.  It relates slightly to
the bad-block list as one way of dealing with an inconsistency is to
tell md that a selected block in the stripe is 'bad'.