* My git-gui difftool script
@ 2011-02-17 13:22 Chunlin Zhang
From: Chunlin Zhang @ 2011-02-17 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

My git-gui difftool scipt can use now.Can use with meld/beyond compare and so on
visual diff tool.
Upload to https://github.com/zhangchunlin/gitguidifftool ,and the usage is in
README.

* Re: My git-gui difftool script
@ 2011-02-17 16:28 ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2011-02-17 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chunlin Zhang; +Cc: git

Chunlin Zhang venit, vidit, dixit 17.02.2011 14:22:
> My git-gui difftool scipt can use now.Can use with meld/beyond compare and so on
> visual diff tool.
> Upload to https://github.com/zhangchunlin/gitguidifftool ,and the usage is in
> README.

I don't want to spoil the party, but how is this different from using
"git difftool -y $FILENAME" for the command?

Michael

* Re: My git-gui difftool script
@ 2011-02-18  1:12   ` Chunlin Zhang
From: Chunlin Zhang @ 2011-02-18  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane <at> fastmail.fm> writes:

> I don't want to spoil the party, but how is this different from using
> "git difftool -y $FILENAME" for the command?

Because in git-gui I can know which files are modified and which file are staged
more clearly and directly,and I can examine the diff over and over again if I
 like.

@ 2011-02-18  7:36     ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2011-02-18  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chunlin Zhang; +Cc: git

Chunlin Zhang venit, vidit, dixit 18.02.2011 02:12:
> Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane <at> fastmail.fm> writes:
>

>> I don't want to spoil the party, but how is this different from using
>> "git difftool -y $FILENAME" for the command?
>
> Because in git-gui I can know which files are modified and which file are staged
> more clearly and directly,and I can examine the diff over and over again if I
>  like.

Well, of course, but in git-gui's Tools menu you can use

"git difftool -y $FILENAME"

instead of

"YOUR_PATH_TO_git_gui_difftool.py $FILENAME"

for the command. So I'm just wondering what your new difftool.py does
differently from the existing git-difftool.

Michael

* Re: My git-gui difftool script
@ 2011-02-18  8:26       ` Chunlin Zhang
From: Chunlin Zhang @ 2011-02-18  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane <at> fastmail.fm> writes:

> "git difftool -y $FILENAME"
>
> instead of
>
> "YOUR_PATH_TO_git_gui_difftool.py $FILENAME"
>
> for the command. So I'm just wondering what your new difftool.py does
> differently from the existing git-difftool.
>
> Michael

I just found that I am reinventing the wheel and it is a worse wheel.

I suggest this should be integrated into git-gui.

* Re: My git-gui difftool script
@ 2011-02-18  9:24         ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2011-02-18  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chunlin Zhang; +Cc: git

Chunlin Zhang venit, vidit, dixit 18.02.2011 09:26:
> Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane <at> fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> "git difftool -y $FILENAME"
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> "YOUR_PATH_TO_git_gui_difftool.py $FILENAME"
>>
>> for the command. So I'm just wondering what your new difftool.py does
>> differently from the existing git-difftool.
>>
>> Michael

> I just found that I am reinventing the wheel and it is a worse wheel.

You have taught me about git-gui's Tools menu which I didn't know
before. So we both learned something :)

> I suggest this should be integrated into git-gui.

Sounds fine with me, although the flexibility of difftool may prevent
having a sane default for "use terminal".

Michael