* failed drive in raid 1 array
@ 2011-02-23 16:52 Roberto Nunnari
From: Roberto Nunnari @ 2011-02-23 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hello.

I have a linux box, with two 2TB sata HD in raid 1.

Now, one disk is in failed state and it has no spares:
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sdb4[2](F) sda4[0]
       1910200704 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda2[0]
       40957568 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

The drives are not hot-plug, so I need to shutdown the box.

My plan is to:
# sfdisk -d /dev/sdb > sdb.sfdisk
# mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/sdb4
# mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1
# shutdown -h now

replace the disk and boot (it should come back up, even without one
drive, right?)

# sfdisk /dev/sdb < sdb.sfdisk
# mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sdb4
# mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdb1

and the drives should start to resync, right?

This is my first time I do such a thing, so please, correct me
if the above is not correct, or is not a best practice for
my configuration.

My last backup of md1 is of mid november, so I need to be
pretty sure I will not lose my data (over 1TB).

A bit abount my environment:
# mdadm --version
mdadm - v1.12.0 - 14 June 2005
# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.8 (Final)
# uname -rms
Linux 2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp i686

Thank you very much and best regards.
Robi

* Re: failed drive in raid 1 array
@ 2011-02-23 17:56 ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-02-23 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Nunnari; +Cc: linux-raid

sata2 without hot plug?
check if your sda sdb sdc will change after removing it, it´s depends
on your udev or another /dev filesystem

2011/2/23 Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>:
> Hello.
>
> I have a linux box, with two 2TB sata HD in raid 1.
>
> Now, one disk is in failed state and it has no spares:
> # cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> md1 : active raid1 sdb4[2](F) sda4[0]
>      1910200704 blocks [2/1] [U_]
>
> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda2[0]
>      40957568 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>

> The drives are not hot-plug, so I need to shutdown the box.
>
> My plan is to:
> # sfdisk -d /dev/sdb > sdb.sfdisk
> # mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/sdb4
> # mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1
> # shutdown -h now
>
> replace the disk and boot (it should come back up, even without one drive,
> right?)
>
> # sfdisk /dev/sdb < sdb.sfdisk
> # mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sdb4
> # mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdb1
>
> and the drives should start to resync, right?
>
> This is my first time I do such a thing, so please, correct me
> if the above is not correct, or is not a best practice for
> my configuration.
>
> My last backup of md1 is of mid november, so I need to be
> pretty sure I will not lose my data (over 1TB).
>
> A bit abount my environment:
> # mdadm --version
> mdadm - v1.12.0 - 14 June 2005
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 4.8 (Final)
> # uname -rms
> Linux 2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp i686
>
> Thank you very much and best regards.
> Robi

Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial

* Re: failed drive in raid 1 array
@ 2011-02-23 18:20   ` Albert Pauw
From: Albert Pauw @ 2011-02-23 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim, linux-raid

  On 02/23/11 06:56 PM, Roberto Spadim wrote:
> sata2 without hot plug?
> check if your sda sdb sdc will change after removing it, it´s depends
> on your udev or another /dev filesystem
>
> 2011/2/23 Roberto Nunnari<roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have a linux box, with two 2TB sata HD in raid 1.
>>
>> Now, one disk is in failed state and it has no spares:
>> # cat /proc/mdstat
>> Personalities : [raid1]
>> md1 : active raid1 sdb4[2](F) sda4[0]
>>       1910200704 blocks [2/1] [U_]
>>
>> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda2[0]
>>       40957568 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> unused devices:<none>
>>

>> The drives are not hot-plug, so I need to shutdown the box.
>>
>> My plan is to:
>> # sfdisk -d /dev/sdb>  sdb.sfdisk
>> # mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/sdb4
-> removing should be ok, as the partition has failed in md1
>> # mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1
-> In this case, sdb1 hasn't failed according to the output of
/proc/mdstat, so you should fail it otherwise you can't remove it:
mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/sdb1
mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1

>> # shutdown -h now
>>
>> replace the disk and boot (it should come back up, even without one drive,
>> right?)
>>
>> # sfdisk /dev/sdb<  sdb.sfdisk
>> # mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sdb4
>> # mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdb1
>>
>> and the drives should start to resync, right?
>>
>> This is my first time I do such a thing, so please, correct me
>> if the above is not correct, or is not a best practice for
>> my configuration.
>>
>> My last backup of md1 is of mid november, so I need to be
>> pretty sure I will not lose my data (over 1TB).
>>
>> A bit abount my environment:
>> # mdadm --version
>> mdadm - v1.12.0 - 14 June 2005
>> # cat /etc/redhat-release
>> CentOS release 4.8 (Final)
>> # uname -rms
>> Linux 2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp i686
What about sdb2 an sdb3, are they in use as normal mountpoints, or swap.
Then these should be commented out in /etc/fstab
before you change the disk.

@ 2011-02-23 19:16   ` Roberto Nunnari
From: Roberto Nunnari @ 2011-02-23 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim; +Cc: linux-raid

Roberto Spadim wrote:
> sata2 without hot plug?

Hi Roberto.

I mean that there is no hot-plug bay, with sliding rails etc..
The drives are connected to the mb using standard sata cables.

> check if your sda sdb sdc will change after removing it, it´s depends
> on your udev or another /dev filesystem

Ok, thank you.
That means that if I take care to check the above, and
the new drive will be sdb, then taking the steps indicated
in my original post will do the job?

Best regards.
Robi

@ 2011-02-23 19:20     ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-02-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Nunnari; +Cc: linux-raid

i don´t know how you setup your kernel (with or without raid
autodetect?) do you use kernel command line to setup raid? autodetect?
here in my test machine i´m using kernel command line (grub), i don´t
have a server with hotplug bay, i open the case and remove the wire
with my hands =) after reconecting it with another device kerenel
recognize the new device reread the parititions etc etc and i can add
it to array again
my grub is something like:

md=0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb .....

internal meta data, raid1, i didn´t like the autodetect (it´s good)
but i prefer hardcoded kernel command line (it´s not good with usb
devices)

@ 2011-02-23 21:21     ` Roberto Nunnari
From: Roberto Nunnari @ 2011-02-23 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Pauw; +Cc: Roberto Spadim, linux-raid

Albert Pauw wrote:
>  On 02/23/11 06:56 PM, Roberto Spadim wrote:
>> sata2 without hot plug?
>> check if your sda sdb sdc will change after removing it, it´s depends
>> on your udev or another /dev filesystem
>>
>> 2011/2/23 Roberto Nunnari<roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have a linux box, with two 2TB sata HD in raid 1.
>>>
>>> Now, one disk is in failed state and it has no spares:
>>> # cat /proc/mdstat
>>> Personalities : [raid1]
>>> md1 : active raid1 sdb4[2](F) sda4[0]
>>>       1910200704 blocks [2/1] [U_]
>>>
>>> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda2[0]
>>>       40957568 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>>
>>> unused devices:<none>
>>>

>>> The drives are not hot-plug, so I need to shutdown the box.
>>>
>>> My plan is to:
>>> # sfdisk -d /dev/sdb>  sdb.sfdisk
>>> # mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/sdb4
> -> removing should be ok, as the partition has failed in md1

ok.

>>> # mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1
> -> In this case, sdb1 hasn't failed according to the output of
> /proc/mdstat, so you should fail it otherwise you can't remove it:
> mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/sdb1
> mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1

good to know! Thank you.

>>> # shutdown -h now
>>>
>>> replace the disk and boot (it should come back up, even without one
>>> drive,
>>> right?)
>>>
>>> # sfdisk /dev/sdb<  sdb.sfdisk
>>> # mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sdb4
>>> # mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdb1
>>>
>>> and the drives should start to resync, right?
>>>
>>> This is my first time I do such a thing, so please, correct me
>>> if the above is not correct, or is not a best practice for
>>> my configuration.
>>>
>>> My last backup of md1 is of mid november, so I need to be
>>> pretty sure I will not lose my data (over 1TB).
>>>
>>> A bit abount my environment:
>>> # mdadm --version
>>> mdadm - v1.12.0 - 14 June 2005
>>> # cat /etc/redhat-release
>>> CentOS release 4.8 (Final)
>>> # uname -rms
>>> Linux 2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp i686
> What about sdb2 an sdb3, are they in use as normal mountpoints, or swap.
> Then these should be commented out in /etc/fstab
> before you change the disk.

Yes. They're normal mount point, so I'll have to
comment them out before rebooting, especially the swap partition.
Thank you for pointing that out!

@ 2011-02-23 21:24       ` Roberto Nunnari
From: Roberto Nunnari @ 2011-02-23 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim; +Cc: linux-raid

Roberto Spadim wrote:
> i don´t know how you setup your kernel (with or without raid

I use the official CentOS kernel with no modification and don't
know about raid autodetect, but:
# cat /boot/config-2.6.24-28-server |grep -i raid
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID456=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID5_RESHAPE=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY=m
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MAILBOX=m
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MM=m
CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_SAS=m
CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID=m

> autodetect?) do you use kernel command line to setup raid? autodetect?

/dev/md0 in grub
I don't know if that means autodetect, but I guess so..

> here in my test machine i´m using kernel command line (grub), i don´t
> have a server with hotplug bay, i open the case and remove the wire
> with my hands =) after reconecting it with another device kerenel

Is it safe? Isn't it a blind bet to fry up the controller and/or disk?

> recognize the new device reread the parititions etc etc and i can add
> it to array again
> my grub is something like:
>
> md=0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb .....
>
> internal meta data, raid1, i didn´t like the autodetect (it´s good)
> but i prefer hardcoded kernel command line (it´s not good with usb
> devices)

the relevant part of my grub is:

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb quiet
         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp.img

Best regards.
Robi

@ 2011-02-23 21:34         ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-02-23 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Nunnari; +Cc: linux-raid

hum, maybe you are using mdadm.conf or autodetect, non autodetect
should be something like this:
i don´t know the best solution, but it works ehhehe

        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb
quiet md=0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb md=1,xxxx,yyyy.....

or another md array...

humm i readed the sata specification and removing isn´t a problem, at
eletronic level the sata channel is only data, no power source, all
channels are diferencial (like rs422 or rs485), i don´t see anyproblem
removing it. i tryed hot plug a revodrive (pciexpress ssd) and it
don´t work (reboot) hehehe, pci-express isn´t hot plug =P, sata2 don´t
have problems, the main problem is a short circuit at power source, if
you remove with caution no problems =)

i tried in some others distros and udev created a new device when add
a diferent disk for example, remove sdb, and add another disk create
sdc (not sdb), maybe with another udev configuration should work

@ 2011-02-23 22:13           ` Roberto Nunnari
From: Roberto Nunnari @ 2011-02-23 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim; +Cc: linux-raid

Roberto Spadim wrote:
> hum, maybe you are using mdadm.conf or autodetect, non autodetect
> should be something like this:
> i don´t know the best solution, but it works ehhehe
>
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb
> quiet md=0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb md=1,xxxx,yyyy.....
>
> or another md array...
>
> humm i readed the sata specification and removing isn´t a problem, at
> eletronic level the sata channel is only data, no power source, all
> channels are diferencial (like rs422 or rs485), i don´t see anyproblem
> removing it. i tryed hot plug a revodrive (pciexpress ssd) and it
> don´t work (reboot) hehehe, pci-express isn´t hot plug =P, sata2 don´t
> have problems, the main problem is a short circuit at power source, if
> you remove with caution no problems =)
>
> i tried in some others distros and udev created a new device when add
> a diferent disk for example, remove sdb, and add another disk create
> sdc (not sdb), maybe with another udev configuration should work

Ok. I'll keep all that in mind tomorrow.
Best regards.
Robi

@ 2011-02-24 16:05             ` Iordan Iordanov
From: Iordan Iordanov @ 2011-02-24 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Nunnari; +Cc: linux-raid

Hi guys,

I saw a bunch of discussion of devices changing names when hot-plugged.
If you get the device name right when you add it to the array first, all
is good since the superblock is used to "discover" the device later.

However, to make things easier/clearer, and to avoid errors, one can
take a look at the set of directories:

/dev/disk/by-id
/dev/disk/by-path
/dev/disk/by-uuid
/dev/disk/by-label

for a predictable, more static view of the drives. The symlinks in these
directories are created by udev, and are simply links to the "real"
device nodes /dev/sd{a-z}*. You can either just use these symlinks as a
way of verifying that you are adding the right device, or add the device
using the symlink.

At our location, we even augmented udev to add links to labeled GPT
partitions in /dev/disk/by-label, and now our drives/partitions look
like this:

iscsi00-drive00-part00 -> ../../sda1
iscsi00-drive01-part00 -> ../../sdb1
iscsi00-drive02-part00 -> ../../sdc1
iscsi00-drive03-part00 -> ../../sdd1
iscsi00-drive04-part00 -> ../../sde1

This way, we know exactly which bay contains exactly which drive, and it
stays this way. If you guys want, I can share with you the changes to
udev necessary and the script which extracts the GPT label and reports
it to udev for this magic to happen :). Please reply to this thread with
a request if you think it may be useful to you.

Cheers,
Iordan

On 02/23/11 17:13, Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> Roberto Spadim wrote:
>> hum, maybe you are using mdadm.conf or autodetect, non autodetect
>> should be something like this:
>> i don´t know the best solution, but it works ehhehe
>>
>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb
>> quiet md=0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb md=1,xxxx,yyyy.....
>>
>> or another md array...
>>
>> humm i readed the sata specification and removing isn´t a problem, at
>> eletronic level the sata channel is only data, no power source, all
>> channels are diferencial (like rs422 or rs485), i don´t see anyproblem
>> removing it. i tryed hot plug a revodrive (pciexpress ssd) and it
>> don´t work (reboot) hehehe, pci-express isn´t hot plug =P, sata2 don´t
>> have problems, the main problem is a short circuit at power source, if
>> you remove with caution no problems =)
>>
>> i tried in some others distros and udev created a new device when add
>> a diferent disk for example, remove sdb, and add another disk create
>> sdc (not sdb), maybe with another udev configuration should work
>
> Ok. I'll keep all that in mind tomorrow.
> Best regards.
> Robi

>>> I use the official CentOS kernel with no modification and don't
>>> know about raid autodetect, but:
>>> # cat /boot/config-2.6.24-28-server |grep -i raid
>>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID=m
>>> CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
>>> CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
>>> CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m
>>> CONFIG_MD_RAID456=m
>>> CONFIG_MD_RAID5_RESHAPE=y
>>> CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY=m
>>> CONFIG_MEGARAID_MAILBOX=m
>>> CONFIG_MEGARAID_MM=m
>>> CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN=y
>>> CONFIG_MEGARAID_SAS=m
>>> CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS=m

@ 2011-02-24 20:08               ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-02-24 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iordan Iordanov; +Cc: Roberto Nunnari, linux-raid

do you have the udev configuration for this (static)?

@ 2011-02-24 21:32                 ` Iordan Iordanov
From: Iordan Iordanov @ 2011-02-24 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Spadim; +Cc: Roberto Nunnari, linux-raid

Hi Roberto (Spadim),

I am attaching the two files necessary for this functionality. The first
one (gpt_id) is the script which given this example input:

   gpt_id sdb 1

should give this example output:

   PARTITION_LABEL=itest00-drive00-part00

The second file is a udev configuration file which needs to be dropped
into /etc/udev/rules.d/. When a new device is attached, it runs gpt_id
on its partitions, and if a GPT label is found, a link in
/dev/disk/by-label magically appears to the partition in question.

To create a GPT label and name a 100GB partition on /dev/sdb, one would
do something like this (WARNING, WARNING, WARNING THIS IS A
DATA-DESTRUCTIVE PROCESS):

parted /dev/sdb
mklabel y gpt
mkpart primary ext3 0 100GB
name 1 itest00-drive00-part00
print
quit

To trigger udevadm to rescan all the devices and remake all the
symlinks, you can run:

udevadm trigger

The gpt_id and the udev rules file are home-brewed at our department. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Iordan

On 02/24/11 15:08, Roberto Spadim wrote:
> do you have the udev configuration for this (static)?
>
> 2011/2/24 Iordan Iordanov<iordan@cdf.toronto.edu>:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I saw a bunch of discussion of devices changing names when hot-plugged. If
>> you get the device name right when you add it to the array first, all is
>> good since the superblock is used to "discover" the device later.
>>
>> However, to make things easier/clearer, and to avoid errors, one can take a
>> look at the set of directories:
>>
>> /dev/disk/by-id
>> /dev/disk/by-path
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid
>> /dev/disk/by-label
>>
>> for a predictable, more static view of the drives. The symlinks in these
>> directories are created by udev, and are simply links to the "real" device
>> nodes /dev/sd{a-z}*. You can either just use these symlinks as a way of
>> verifying that you are adding the right device, or add the device using the
>> symlink.
>>
>> At our location, we even augmented udev to add links to labeled GPT
>> partitions in /dev/disk/by-label, and now our drives/partitions look like
>> this:
>>
>> iscsi00-drive00-part00 ->  ../../sda1
>> iscsi00-drive01-part00 ->  ../../sdb1
>> iscsi00-drive02-part00 ->  ../../sdc1
>> iscsi00-drive03-part00 ->  ../../sdd1
>> iscsi00-drive04-part00 ->  ../../sde1
>>
>> This way, we know exactly which bay contains exactly which drive, and it
>> stays this way. If you guys want, I can share with you the changes to udev
>> necessary and the script which extracts the GPT label and reports it to udev
>> for this magic to happen :). Please reply to this thread with a request if
>> you think it may be useful to you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Iordan

>>> Ok. I'll keep all that in mind tomorrow.
>>> Best regards.
>>> Robi

>>> --

[-- Attachment #2: gpt_id --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 238 bytes --]

#!/bin/sh

PARENT_DEVICE="$1"
PARTITION="$2"

# Get the label of the partition using parted.
PARTITION_LABEL="`parted -sm /dev/"$PARENT_DEVICE" print | grep "^$PARTITION:" | awk -F: '{print $6}'`"

echo "PARTITION_LABEL=$PARTITION_LABEL"

[-- Attachment #3: 10-gpt-label.rules --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1285 bytes --]

# This file contains the rules to create by-GPT-label symlinks for devices

# forward scsi device events to the corresponding block device
ACTION=="change", SUBSYSTEM=="scsi", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="scsi_device", \
	TEST=="block",			ATTR{block/*/uevent}="change"

# we are only interested in add and change actions for block devices
ACTION!="add|change",			GOTO="gpt_label_end"
SUBSYSTEM!="block",			GOTO="gpt_label_end"

# and we can safely ignore these kinds of devices
KERNEL=="mtd[0-9]*|mtdblock[0-9]*|ram*|loop*|fd*|nbd*|gnbd*|dm-*|md*|btibm*", GOTO="gpt_label_end"

# skip removable ide devices, because open(2) on them causes an events loop
KERNEL=="hd*[!0-9]", ATTR{removable}=="1", DRIVERS=="ide-cs|ide-floppy", \
					GOTO="gpt_label_end"
KERNEL=="hd*[0-9]", ATTRS{removable}=="1", \
					GOTO="gpt_label_end"

# skip xen virtual hard disks
DRIVERS=="vbd",				GOTO="no_hardware_id"

# check these attributes of /sys/class/block nodes
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="?*", ATTR{range}=="?*",	ENV{DEVTYPE}="disk"
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="?*", ATTR{start}=="?*",	ENV{DEVTYPE}="partition"

# probe GPT partition label of disks
KERNEL!="sr*", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="partition", IMPORT{program}="/sbin/gpt_id $parent $number"

ENV{PARTITION_LABEL}=="?*", SYMLINK+="disk/by-label/$env{PARTITION_LABEL}"

LABEL="gpt_label_end"

* Re: failed drive in raid 1 array
@ 2011-02-24 21:38                   ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-02-24 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iordan Iordanov; +Cc: Roberto Nunnari, linux-raid

nice thanks !!!

@ 2011-02-24 21:51       ` Roberto Nunnari
From: Roberto Nunnari @ 2011-02-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Pauw; +Cc: Roberto Spadim, linux-raid

Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> Albert Pauw wrote:
>>  On 02/23/11 06:56 PM, Roberto Spadim wrote:
>>> sata2 without hot plug?
>>> check if your sda sdb sdc will change after removing it, it´s depends
>>> on your udev or another /dev filesystem

>> -> removing should be ok, as the partition has failed in md1
>
> ok.

>> -> In this case, sdb1 hasn't failed according to the output of
>> /proc/mdstat, so you should fail it otherwise you can't remove it:
>> mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/sdb1
>> mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1
>
> good to know! Thank you.

>> What about sdb2 an sdb3, are they in use as normal mountpoints, or
>> swap. Then these should be commented out in /etc/fstab
>> before you change the disk.
>
> Yes. They're normal mount point, so I'll have to
> comment them out before rebooting, especially the swap partition.
> Thank you for pointing that out!
>
> Best regards.
> Robi

Thank you very much Roberto and Albert.
I replaced the defective drive.
md0 was rebuilt almost immediatly, md1 is still rebuilding
but already completed 77%.

Great linux-raid md!

@ 2011-02-24 22:00         ` Roberto Spadim
From: Roberto Spadim @ 2011-02-24 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)