* [RFC v3] V4L2 API for flash devices
@ 2011-04-15  7:37 Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2011-04-15  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media
  Cc: Nayden Kanchev, Guennadi Liakhovetski, Laurent Pinchart,
	Hans Verkuil, Cohen David Abraham, Kim HeungJun, andrew.b.adams,
	Sung Hee Park

Hi,

This is a third proposal for an interface for controlling flash devices
on the V4L2/v4l2_subdev APIs. My plan is to use the interface in the
ADP1653 driver, the flash controller used in the Nokia N900.

Thanks to everyone who commented the previous version of this RFC! I
hope I managed to factor in everyone's comments. Please bug me if you
think I missed something. :-)

Comments and questions are very, very welcome as always. There are still
many open questions which I would like to resolve. I've written my
proposal on the two last ones below the question itself.

Changes since v2 [9]
====================

- Rearranged proposed controls. V4L2_CID_FLASH_LED_MODE is now the first
control.

- Added an open question on naming of indicator and torch controls.

- V4L2_CID_FLASH_STROBE_MODE renamed to V4L2_CID_FLASH_STROBE_WHENCE.
V4L2_CID_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_WHENCE renamed to
V4L2_CID_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_MODE.

- Removed CID_ from V4L2_CID_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_MODE values.

- Added a new use case based on [11]: Synchronised LED flash (hardware
strobe, timed exposure).

- Added section on possible future extensions.

- Complemented the open question on units.

Changes since v1 [7]
====================

- V4L2_FLASH_STROBE_MODE_EXT_STROBE renamed to
V4L2_FLASH_STROBE_MODE_EXTERNAL.

- V4L2_CID_FLASH_STROBE control changed from button to bool.

- Removed suggestion of adding V4L2_CID_FLASH_DURATION.
V4L2_CID_FLASH_TIMEOUT is used as hardware timeout.

- Added control access info (ro/rw).

- V4L2_FLASH_MODE_NONE added, V4L2_FLASH_LED_MODE_FLASH no longer forced
as 1 in enum.

- Bits use (1 << x) instead of 0x00... format.

- Added an open question on flash LED mode controls.

- Added an open question on a new control:
V4L2_CID_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_WHENCE.

- Added an open question on control units.

Scope
=====

This RFC is focused mostly on the ADP1653 [1] and similar chips [2, 3]
which provides following functionality. [2, 3] mostly differ on the
available faults --- for example, there are faults also for the
indicator LED.

- High power LED output (flash or torch modes)
- Low power indicator LED output (a.k.a. privacy light)
- Programmable flash timeout
- Software and hardware strobe
- Fault detection
	- Overvoltage
	- Overtemperature
	- Short circuit
	- Timeout
- Programmable current (both high-power and indicator LEDs)

If anyone else is aware of hardware which significantly differs from
these and does not get served well under the proposed interface, please
tell about it.

This RFC does NOT address the synchronisation of the flash to a given
frame since this task is typically performed by the sensor through a
strobe signal. The host does not have enough information for this ---
exact timing information on the exposure of the sensor pixel array. In
this case the flash synchronisation is visible to the flash controller
as the hardware strobe originating from the sensor.

Flash synchronisation requires

1) flash control capability from the sensor including a strobe output,
2) strobe input in the flash controller,
3) (optionally) ability to program sensor parameters at given frame,
such as flash strobe, and
4) ability to read back metadata produced by the sensor related to a
given frame. This should include whether the frame is exposed with
flash, i.e. the sensor's flash strobe output.

Since we have little examples of both in terms of hardware support,
which is in practice required, it was decided to postpone the interface
specification for now. [6]

Xenon flash controllers exist but I don't have a specific example of
those. Typically the interface is quite simple. Gpio pins for charge and
strobe. The length of the strobe signal determines the strength of the
flash pulse. The strobe is controlled by the sensor as for LED flash if
it is hardware based.

See "Possible future extensions" section below for more.

Known use cases
===============

The use case listed below concentrate on using a flash in a mobile
device, for example in a mobile phone. The use cases could be somewhat
different in devices the primary use of which is camera.

Unsynchronised LED flash (software strobe)

Unsynchronised LED flash is controlled directly by the host as the
sensor. The flash must be enabled by the host before the exposure of the
image starts and disabled once it ends. The host is fully responsible
for the timing of the flash.

Example of such device: Nokia N900.

Synchronised LED flash (hardware strobe)

The synchronised LED flash is pre-programmed by the host (power and
timeout) but controlled by the sensor through a strobe signal from the
sensor to the flash.

The sensor controls the flash duration and timing. This control
typically must be programmed to the sensor, and specifying an interface
for this is out of scope of this RFC.

The LED flash controllers we know of can function in both synchronised
and unsynchronised modes.

LED flash as torch
------------------

LED flash may be used as torch in conjunction with another use case
involving camera or individually. [4]

Synchronised xenon flash
------------------------

The synchronised xenon flash is controlled more closely by the sensor
than the LED flash. There is no separate intensity control for the xenon
flash as its intensity is determined by the length of the strobe pulse.
Several consecutive strobe pluses are possible but this needs to be
still controlled by the sensor.

Synchronised xenon flash (timed exposure)

The same as above, but the flash is triggered around the end of the
exposure. [11] This also probably requires a sensor which can do
synchronous exposure, i.e. can start (and stop) the exposure of all
lines at the same time.

Proposed interface
==================

The flash, either LED or xenon, does not require large amounts of data
to control it. There are parameters to control it but they are
independent and assumably some hardware would only support some subsets
of the functionality available somewhere else. Thus V4L2 controls seem
an ideal way to support flash controllers.

A separate control class is reserved for the flash controls. It is
called V4L2_CTRL_CLASS_FLASH.

Type of the control; type of flash is in parentheses after the control.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_LED_MODE (menu; rw; LED)

enum v4l2_flash_led_mode {
	V4L2_FLASH_LED_MODE_NONE,
	V4L2_FLASH_LED_MODE_FLASH,
	V4L2_FLASH_LED_MODE_TORCH,
};

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_STROBE (boolean; rw; LED)

Strobe the flash using software strobe from the host, typically over I2C
or a GPIO. The flash is NOT synchronised to sensor pixel are exposure
since the command is given asynchronously. Alternatively, if the flash
controller is a master in the system, the sensor exposure may be
triggered based on software strobe.

This control may also be used to shut down the strobe and query the
state of the strobe (on/off).

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_STROBE_WHENCE (menu; rw; LED)

Use hardware or software strobe. If hardware strobe is selected, the
flash controller is a slave in the system where the sensor produces the
strobe signal to the flash.

In this case the flash controller setup is limited to programming strobe
timeout and power (LED flash) and the sensor controls the timing and
length of the strobe.

enum v4l2_flash_strobe_whence {
	V4L2_FLASH_STROBE_WHENCE_SOFTWARE,
	V4L2_FLASH_STROBE_WHENCE_EXTERNAL,
};

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_TIMEOUT (integer; rw; LED)

The flash controller provides timeout functionality to shut down the led
in case the host fails to do that. For hardware strobe, this is the
maximum amount of time the flash should stay on, and the purpose of the
setting is to prevent the LED from catching fire.

For software strobe, the setting may be used to limit the length of the
strobe using a hardware watchdog. The granularity of the timeout in [1,
2, 3] is very coarse.

A standard unit such as ms or µs should be used.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_INTENSITY (integer; rw; LED)

Intensity of the flash in hardware specific units. The LED flash
controller provides current to the LED but the actual luminous power is
dictated by the LED connected to the controller.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_TORCH_INTENSITY (integer; rw; LED)

Intensity of the flash in hardware specific units.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_INDICATOR_INTENSITY (integer; rw; LED)

Intensity of the indicator light in hardware specific units.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_FAULT (bit field; ro; LED)

This is a bitmask containing the fault information for the flash. This
assumes the proposed V4L2 bit mask controls [5]; otherwise this would
likely need to be a set of controls.

#define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_OVER_VOLTAGE		(1 << 0)
#define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_TIMEOUT		(1 << 1)
#define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_OVER_TEMPERATURE	(1 << 2)
#define V4L2_FLASH_FAULT_SHORT_CIRCUIT		(1 << 3)

Several faults may occur at single occasion. The ADP1653 is able to
inform the user a fault has occurred, so a V4L2 control event (proposed
earlier) could be used for that.

These faults are supported by the ADP1653. More faults may be added as
support for more chips require that. In some other hardware faults are
available for indicator led as well.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_CHARGE (bool; rw; xenon)

Charge control for the xenon flash. Enable or disable charging.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_READY (bool; ro; xenon, LED)

Flash is ready to strobe. On xenon flash this tells the capacitor has
been charged, on LED flash it's that the LED is no longer too hot.

The implementation on LED flash may be modelling the temperature
behaviour of the LED in the driver (or elsewhere, e.g. library or board
code) if the hardware does not provide direct temperature information
from the LED.

A V4L2 control event should be produced whenever the flash becomes ready.

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_MODE (bool; rw; xenon, LED)

Whether the flash controller considers external strobe as edge, when the
only limit of the strobe is the timeout on flash controller, or level,
when the flash strobe will last as long as the strobe signal, or as long
until the timeout expires.

enum v4l2_flash_external_strobe_mode {
	V4L2_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_MODE_LEVEL,
	V4L2_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_MODE_EDGE,
};

Open questions
==============

1. Flash LED mode control
-------------------------

Should the flash led mode control be a single control or a set of
controls? A single control would make it easier for application to
choose between different modes, but on the other hand limits future
extensibility if there would have to be further splitting of the modes. [8]

2. Renaming of V4L2_CID_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_MODE

Should V4L2_CID_FLASH_EXTERNAL_STROBE_MODE be renamed? Are _EDGE and
_LEVEL menu values enough to describe the functionality?

3. Units
--------

Which units should e.g. V4L2_CID_FLASH_TIMEOUT be using? It'd be very
useful to have standard unit on this control, like ms or µs.

Some controls, like V4L2_CID_FLASH_INTENSITY, can't easily use a
standard unit. The luminous output depends on the LED connected (you
could use an incandescent lightbulb too, I suppose?) to the flash
controller. These controls typically control the current supplied by the
flash controller.

The timing controls on the sensor could use pixels (or lines) since
these are the units the sensor uses itself. Converting between pixels
(or lines) and SI units is trivial since the pixel clock is known in the
user space.

The flash chip, on the other hand, has no knowledge of sensor pixel
clock, so it should use SI units. Also, the timing control currently in
the flash chip itself is very coarse.

PROPOSAL: If the component has internal timing which is known elsewhere,
such the sensor, the controls should use these units. Otherwise,
standard SI units should be used. In the sensor's case, this could be µs.

4. Naming of indicator and torch intensity

Should indicator and torch intensity controls have FLASH in them? This
would make V4L2_CID_FLASH a common prefix for all the flash related
controls.

On the other hand, there could be a torch or an indicator device without
a flash, too.

PROPOSAL:

	V4L2_CID_FLASH_TORCH_INTENSITY
	V4L2_CID_FLASH_INDICATOR_INTENSITY

Possible future extensions
==========================

1. Indicator faults
-------------------

Some chips do support these. As they are part of the same register (at
least on some chips [10]), they could be part of V4L2_CID_FLASH_FAULT
control.

2. Strobe output control on sensor
----------------------------------

Sensor requires strobe output control to trigger hardware strobe (on
next possible frame).

3. Sensor metadata on frames
----------------------------

It'd be useful to be able to read back sensor metadata. If the flash is
strobed (on sensor hardware) while streaming, it's difficult to know
otherwise which frame in the stream has been exposed with flash.

4. Timing of strobe
-------------------

Hardware strobe timing relative to frame start. The length of the strobe
should be timeable as well.

5. Flash type control
---------------------

Probably it'd be good to be able to tell which kind of flash we have
(xenon/LED). This should be added no later than we have a xenon flash
driver.

References
==========

[1] ADP1653 datasheet.
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADP1653.pdf

[2] LM3555. http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3555.html#Overview

[3] AS3645 product brief.
http://www.austriamicrosystems.com/eng/Products/Lighting-Management/Camera-Flash-LED-Drivers/AS3645

[4] Flashlight applet for the N900.
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/flashlight-applet/

[5] V4L2 Warszaw brainstorming meeting notes, day 2.
http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/v4l2-brainstorming-warsaw-2011-03/notes/day%202%20(SGz6LU2esk).html

[6] V4L2 Warszaw brainstorming meeting notes, day 3.
http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/v4l2-brainstorming-warsaw-2011-03/notes/day%203%20(RhoYa0X9D7).html

[7] [RFC] V4L2 flash API for flash devices.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg30725.html

[8] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg30794.html

[9] [RFC v2] V4L2 flash API for flash devices.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg31135.html

[10] AS3645 datasheet.
http://www.cdiweb.com/datasheets/austriamicro/AS3645_Datasheet_v1-6.pdf

[11] Andrew's use cases for flash.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg31363.html

Cheers,

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari.ailus@maxwell.research.nokia.com

* Re: [RFC v3] V4L2 API for flash devices
@ 2011-04-15  8:47 ` Hans Petter Selasky
From: Hans Petter Selasky @ 2011-04-15  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sakari Ailus
  Cc: linux-media, Nayden Kanchev, Guennadi Liakhovetski,
	Laurent Pinchart, Hans Verkuil, Cohen David Abraham,

On Friday 15 April 2011 09:37:17 Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a third proposal for an interface for controlling flash devices
> on the V4L2/v4l2_subdev APIs. My plan is to use the interface in the
> ADP1653 driver, the flash controller used in the Nokia N900.
>
> Thanks to everyone who commented the previous version of this RFC! I
> hope I managed to factor in everyone's comments. Please bug me if you
> think I missed something. :-)
>
> Comments and questions are very, very welcome as always. There are still
> many open questions which I would like to resolve. I've written my
> proposal on the two last ones below the question itself.

Hi,

I looked through your specification and did not find the answer to my
question. Do you support more than one flasher per webcam/camera?

--HPS

* Re: [RFC v3] V4L2 API for flash devices
@ 2011-04-15  9:11   ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2011-04-15  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Petter Selasky
  Cc: linux-media, Nayden Kanchev, Guennadi Liakhovetski,

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Friday 15 April 2011 09:37:17 Sakari Ailus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a third proposal for an interface for controlling flash devices
>> on the V4L2/v4l2_subdev APIs. My plan is to use the interface in the
>> ADP1653 driver, the flash controller used in the Nokia N900.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who commented the previous version of this RFC! I
>> hope I managed to factor in everyone's comments. Please bug me if you
>> think I missed something. :-)
>>
>> Comments and questions are very, very welcome as always. There are still
>> many open questions which I would like to resolve. I've written my
>> proposal on the two last ones below the question itself.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I looked through your specification and did not find the answer to my
> question. Do you support more than one flasher per webcam/camera?

Hi Hans,

You probably didn't find it since it's not there. :-)

When this interface is provided directly by the flash driver (a V4L2
subdev), it takes no stance to that. (The interface can also be provided
by the video node, but then it is up to the bridge driver to handle that
control. That could be the case e.g. for a web camera with flash in it.)
In case you have multiple flash chips they would be controlled
separately from each other through a different V4L2 subdev device node.

This would allow hardware which e.g. has two flash controllers connected
to a single sensor with strobe output, for example.