* mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127
@ 2011-04-15 11:23 Christoph Raible
From: Christoph Raible @ 2011-04-15 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi @all

I compiled new kernel on CentOS 5.6 (kernel-ml-2.6.38-2) with CEPH support

     CONFIG_CEPH_LIB=y
     # CONFIG_CEPH_LIB_PRETTYDEBUG is not set
     CONFIG_CEPH_FS=y

Now when I want to mount a Ceph filesystem with

     mount -t ceph 10.1.9.46:/ /mnt/ceph

I got following error:

     "mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127"

Have anyone an idea what I do wrong?

"dmesg | grep ceph"  sends following output:

     http://pastebin.com/rCzWdhVV

Regards,

Christoph Raible
--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Dr. Bernd Finkbeiner, Dr. Roland Niemeier,

* Re: mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127
@ 2011-04-15 12:57 ` Zenon Panoussis
From: Zenon Panoussis @ 2011-04-15 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On 04/15/2011 01:23 PM, Christoph Raible wrote:

> I compiled new kernel on CentOS 5.6 (kernel-ml-2.6.38-2) with CEPH support

>     CONFIG_CEPH_LIB=y
>     # CONFIG_CEPH_LIB_PRETTYDEBUG is not set
>     CONFIG_CEPH_FS=y

This builds the drivers into the kernel. For loadable modules you should use
CONFIG_CEPH_LIB=m and CONFIG_CEPH_FS=m .

> Now when I want to mount a Ceph filesystem with
>     mount -t ceph 10.1.9.46:/ /mnt/ceph
> I got following error:
>     "mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127"

Since ceph and libceph are already in the kernel, it seems logical that loading
them would fail; after all, there are no modules to be loaded. Then again, it
doesn't make sense that mount tries to load them anyway and fails.

* Re: mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127
@ 2011-04-15 16:43   ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2011-04-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zenon Panoussis; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:57:02PM +0200, Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> > Now when I want to mount a Ceph filesystem with
> >     mount -t ceph 10.1.9.46:/ /mnt/ceph
> > I got following error:
> >     "mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127"
>
> Since ceph and libceph are already in the kernel, it seems logical that loading
> them would fail; after all, there are no modules to be loaded. Then again, it
> doesn't make sense that mount tries to load them anyway and fails.

If modprobe didn't find the module, he'd be getting exit status 1.

If ceph was built-in to the kernel, modprobe would see that and claim
success.

Exit status 127 means the command was not found; for some reason, the
executable "modprobe" is not in PATH when mount.ceph is run.

Are you perhaps trying to mount as non-root? That's not going to work.

--
:(){ :|:&};:

* Re: mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127
@ 2011-04-18 11:50     ` Christoph Raible
From: Christoph Raible @ 2011-04-18 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Tommi Virtanen <tommi.virtanen <at> dreamhost.com> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:57:02PM +0200, Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> > > Now when I want to mount a Ceph filesystem with
> > >     mount -t ceph 10.1.9.46:/ /mnt/ceph
> > > I got following error:
> > >     "mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127"
> >
> > Since ceph and libceph are already in the kernel, it seems logical that
> > them would fail; after all, there are no modules to be loaded. Then again,
 it
> > doesn't make sense that mount tries to load them anyway and fails.
>
> If modprobe didn't find the module, he'd be getting exit status 1.
>
> If ceph was built-in to the kernel, modprobe would see that and claim
> success.
>
> Exit status 127 means the command was not found; for some reason, the
> executable "modprobe" is not in PATH when mount.ceph is run.
>
> Are you perhaps trying to mount as non-root? That's not going to work.

Hi I tried both with root and with a "normal" user.

Both had the same fault. My PATH-Variable looks like this:

/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:
/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

Is there something missing? When I do "modprobe ceph"  this works fine...

Is it possible that my ceph.conf has an error?

http://pastebin.com/bhk1EvWm

Best regards,

Christoph

* Re: mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127
@ 2011-04-18 16:28       ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2011-04-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Raible; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:50:51AM +0000, Christoph Raible wrote:
> Hi I tried both with root and with a "normal" user.
>
> Both had the same fault. My PATH-Variable looks like this:
>
> /usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:
> /bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

I see your PATH has /sbin in it, which is where modprobe is normally
installed. That should work..

Try this as root:

strace -f -o ceph-mount-strace mount -t ceph 10.1.9.46:/ /mnt/ceph

(or whatever your mount command was) and upload the ceph-mount-strace
file somewhere, e.g. pastebin.com. It shouldn't contain anything
secret, in this case.

--