* 'gittutorial(7)' translation
@ 2011-04-19 14:09 MR
From: MR @ 2011-04-19 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi!

I'm willing to translate publication located at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html to the
Belorussian language (my mother tongue). What I'm asking for is your
written permission, so you don't mind after I'll post the translation to
my blog. The translation is intended only for web, no print copies planned.
Visitors of your website, who come from Minsk (Belorussia) will be the
ones, who will read this blogpost, that's the only way to spread them,
no additional instruments we can use. Every translation we ever do does
not costs a penny for the webpage, which is translated. All we ask is to
link back in whatever way you feel confident about it.

Thank you for the article.
You can leave a voice message and I will call you back, if you prefer a
call instead of emails.

Sincerely,
Bohdan Zograf
+(360) 488-0303

* Re: 'gittutorial(7)' translation
@ 2011-04-19 18:19 ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
       [not found]   ` <4DB92F61.3090202@gmail.com>
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2011-04-19 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bozograf; +Cc: git

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 16:09, MR <by.marcis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm willing to translate publication located at
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html to the
> Belorussian language (my mother tongue). What I'm asking for is your written
> permission, so you don't mind after I'll post the translation to my blog.
> The translation is intended only for web, no print copies planned.
> Visitors of your website, who come from Minsk (Belorussia) will be the ones,
> who will read this blogpost, that's the only way to spread them, no
> additional instruments we can use. Every translation we ever do does not
> costs a penny for the webpage, which is translated. All we ask is to link
> back in whatever way you feel confident about it.

Git, including its documentation, is a freely licensed project under
the GNU General Public License version 2. You do not need written
permission to translate gittutorial, and it would be great if you did
so.

See e.g. this for more:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#WhyDoesTheGPLPermitUsersToPublishTheirModifiedVersions

@ 2011-04-28  9:59     ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
       [not found]       ` <20110428104737.GB9063@jakstys.lt>
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2011-04-28  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:12, Bohdan Zograf <bozograf@gmail.com> wrote:
> 19.04.2011 21:19, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason пишет:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 16:09, MR<by.marcis@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm willing to translate publication located at
>>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gittutorial.html to the
>>> Belorussian language (my mother tongue). What I'm asking for is your
>>> written
>>> permission, so you don't mind after I'll post the translation to my blog.
>>> The translation is intended only for web, no print copies planned.
>>> Visitors of your website, who come from Minsk (Belorussia) will be the
>>> ones,
>>> who will read this blogpost, that's the only way to spread them, no
>>> additional instruments we can use. Every translation we ever do does not
>>> costs a penny for the webpage, which is translated. All we ask is to link
>>> back in whatever way you feel confident about it.
>>
>> Git, including its documentation, is a freely licensed project under
>> the GNU General Public License version 2. You do not need written
>> permission to translate gittutorial, and it would be great if you did
>> so.
>>
>> See e.g. this for more:
>>

>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#WhyDoesTheGPLPermitUsersToPublishTheirModifiedVersions
>
> Hi,
>
> Was a pleasure to translate this publication! It's kinda fresh and related
> to my professional interests, so I thought - why not, if the author allows
> to do so.
>
> Posted my Belorussian translation on
> http://webhostingrating.com/libs/gittutorial. If you don't mind can you
> publish a tiny link with a text

> translation</a> or whatever you feel is right.

(CC-ing the Git mailing list)

It's great that you've translated it, I'm not sure where this should
be linked from in Git's documentation, if at all.

I'm currently working no getting i18n support for Git's core commands
up and running, after that I wanted to try getting support for
http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/ going.

That we way could translate any of our documentation and ship it as
part of Git itself, so you could have a Russian gittutorial manpage
installed along with Git.

@ 2011-04-28 11:47         ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2011-04-28 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:47, Motiejus Jakštys <desired.mta@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:59:15AM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

>> > Posted my Belorussian translation on
>> > http://webhostingrating.com/libs/gittutorial. If you don't mind can you
>> > publish a tiny link with a text

>> > translation</a> or whatever you feel is right.
>>
>> That we way could translate any of our documentation and ship it as
>> part of Git itself, so you could have a Russian gittutorial manpage
>> installed along with Git.
>
> Dear Ævar,
>
> Russian != Belorussian, and it might insult some Belorussians (from my
> personal experience) by calling their language "Russian". Belorussian is
> quite rare and people are trying to save it as hard as they can from
> Russian influence. It is a tough problem..
>
> They even have statue in Minsk for the only letter that exists in
> Belorussian, but does not exist in Russian: ў.
>
> I just wanted you to know that. Simple "apologies" might be a very nice
> thing.

Sorry about that. I just glanced at the E-Mail and the translation
itself looked similar to Russian to my untrained eyes.

I stand corrected.