* [Xenomai-help] Building Xenomai for Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit
@ 2011-05-01 12:10 Uwe Fechner
From: Uwe Fechner @ 2011-05-01 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

 Hello,

I am trying to compile Xenomai for Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit for
a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop.

First I tried to follow the following explanations:
http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Building_Debian_packages

I had the following problems:
- the Xenomai version, that comes with Ubuntu 10.10 is
  very old, so I tried to compile my own packages
- using git didn't work, because I needed a user name and
  password, that I don't have (the following command failed:)
  git clone git://xenomai.org/xenomai-2.5.git
- then I tried to compile packages from a tar.bz2 archive
  I was able to compile the packages, but they did not work
 I suppose, that I have some wrong .config options.

I then tried to compile a Linux kernel in the way, that is
suggested for Ubuntu, using this tutorial:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

After some iterations, this worked.

Now my questions:
I would like to use kernel 2.6.38 or 2.6.39-RC5 with
xenomai 2.5.6.

1) Is this a good choice, or is an older kernel or an older
   version of Xenomai more likely to work?

2) Do I need to run scripts/prepare-kernel.sh, or not?
   This is mentioned at:
   http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.5/README.INSTALL
   but not mentioned at:
   http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Building_Debian_packages

Best regards:

Uwe Fechner, TU Delft

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Building Xenomai for Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit
@ 2011-05-03 12:36 ` Stefan Kisdaroczi
From: Stefan Kisdaroczi @ 2011-05-03 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Fechner; +Cc: xenomai

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1810 bytes --]

Hi,

Am Sonntag 01 Mai 2011, 14.10:14 schrieb Uwe Fechner:
>  Hello,
>
> I am trying to compile Xenomai for Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit for
> a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop.
>
> First I tried to follow the following explanations:
> http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Building_Debian_packages

ok

> I had the following problems:
> - the Xenomai version, that comes with Ubuntu 10.10 is
>   very old, so I tried to compile my own packages

ok

> - using git didn't work, because I needed a user name and
>   password, that I don't have (the following command failed:)
>   git clone git://xenomai.org/xenomai-2.5.git

There is no password to access the git repository. Are you behind a proxy?

> - then I tried to compile packages from a tar.bz2 archive
>   I was able to compile the packages, but they did not work

What did not work?

>  I suppose, that I have some wrong .config options.
>
> I then tried to compile a Linux kernel in the way, that is
> suggested for Ubuntu, using this tutorial:
> [...]
> Now my questions:
> I would like to use kernel 2.6.38 or 2.6.39-RC5 with
> xenomai 2.5.6.
>
> 1) Is this a good choice, or is an older kernel or an older
>    version of Xenomai more likely to work?

There is no adeos-ipipe-patch for 2.6.38 or .39-RC5.

> 2) Do I need to run scripts/prepare-kernel.sh, or not?
>    This is mentioned at:
>    http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.5/README.INSTALL
>    but not mentioned at:
>    http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Building_Debian_packages

If you follow "Building_Debian_packages" you dont need it.

If you are able to copy&paste the commands from "Building_Debian_packages"
into your local console, it should work. If not, please tell which step failed
and why (exact error message).

Stefan

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Building Xenomai for Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit
@ 2011-05-03 18:48   ` Uwe Fechner
From: Uwe Fechner @ 2011-05-03 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kisdaroczi; +Cc: xenomai

 Hello Stefan,

thank you for your support.

I managed to compile Xenomai for Ubuntu 10.10, but it did require many
more steps,
than you have documented so far.

I documented my approach here:
http://www.kieltech.de/uweswiki/Xenomai

The two main problems, that remain are:

1. The clocktest program sometimes shows a time offset of +- 500 µs, but
this problem disappears by itself after some minutes.

2. The minimal and average time, that is measured by the latency test is
sometimes negative (-1 to -2.2 micro seconds).

Any suggestions, how to tackle these problems?

Best regards:

Uwe Fechner

On 03.05.2011 14:36, Stefan Kisdaroczi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag 01 Mai 2011, 14.10:14 schrieb Uwe Fechner:
>>  Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to compile Xenomai for Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit for
>> a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop.
>>
>> First I tried to follow the following explanations:
>> http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Building_Debian_packages
> ok
>
>> I had the following problems:
>> - the Xenomai version, that comes with Ubuntu 10.10 is
>>   very old, so I tried to compile my own packages
> ok
>
>> - using git didn't work, because I needed a user name and
>>   password, that I don't have (the following command failed:)
>>   git clone git://xenomai.org/xenomai-2.5.git
> There is no password to access the git repository. Are you behind a proxy?
>
>> - then I tried to compile packages from a tar.bz2 archive
>>   I was able to compile the packages, but they did not work
> What did not work?
>
>>  I suppose, that I have some wrong .config options.
>>
>> I then tried to compile a Linux kernel in the way, that is
>> suggested for Ubuntu, using this tutorial:
>> [...]
>> Now my questions:
>> I would like to use kernel 2.6.38 or 2.6.39-RC5 with
>> xenomai 2.5.6.
>>
>> 1) Is this a good choice, or is an older kernel or an older
>>    version of Xenomai more likely to work?
> There is no adeos-ipipe-patch for 2.6.38 or .39-RC5.
>
>> 2) Do I need to run scripts/prepare-kernel.sh, or not?
>>    This is mentioned at:
>>    http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.5/README.INSTALL
>>    but not mentioned at:
>>    http://www.xenomai.org/index.php/Building_Debian_packages
> If you follow "Building_Debian_packages" you dont need it.
>
> If you are able to copy&paste the commands from "Building_Debian_packages"
> into your local console, it should work. If not, please tell which step failed
> and why (exact error message).
>
> Stefan

Uwe Fechner, M.Sc.
Delft University of Technology