* GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-04-28 17:09 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-04-28 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Poky Project; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

I got my OMAP target to build with GCC-4.6.0 using the latest
Poky tree after a fresh rebuild.  Sadly, the Linux kernel (2.6.37.3)
does not run correctly when built with this compiler.  It
fails when enumerating the USB bus :-(

Are there known issues with the Linux kernel on ARM and GCC-4.6?

* Re: [poky] GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-04-28 18:23   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-04-28 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> I got my OMAP target to build with GCC-4.6.0 using the latest
> Poky tree after a fresh rebuild.  Sadly, the Linux kernel (2.6.37.3)
> does not run correctly when built with this compiler.  It
> fails when enumerating the USB bus :-(
>
> Are there known issues with the Linux kernel on ARM and GCC-4.6?

There has been fixes on top of 4.6.0 the one we have right now is vanilla
4.6.0 release. I plan to add second set of patches but you have to dig a bit
more to identify the problem

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-04-28 18:23   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-04-28 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-04-30 22:10     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-04-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> I got my OMAP target to build with GCC-4.6.0 using the latest
>> Poky tree after a fresh rebuild.  Sadly, the Linux kernel (2.6.37.3)
>> does not run correctly when built with this compiler.  It
>> fails when enumerating the USB bus :-(
>>
>> Are there known issues with the Linux kernel on ARM and GCC-4.6?
>>

> There has been fixes on top of 4.6.0 the one we have right now is vanilla
> 4.6.0 release. I plan to add second set of patches but you have to dig a bit
> more to identify the problem

I have some updates for gcc 4.6.0
they are staged in

http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/gcc-4.6

(top 3 patches)

Please test them out and if you are lucky
your problem might be fixed too.

All, please try these patches and provide any feedback

-Khem

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-04-30 22:10     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-04-30 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-02 11:37       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-02 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 04/30/2011 04:10 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Khem Raj<raj.khem@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Gary Thomas<gary@mlbassoc.com>  wrote:
>>> I got my OMAP target to build with GCC-4.6.0 using the latest
>>> Poky tree after a fresh rebuild.  Sadly, the Linux kernel (2.6.37.3)
>>> does not run correctly when built with this compiler.  It
>>> fails when enumerating the USB bus :-(
>>>
>>> Are there known issues with the Linux kernel on ARM and GCC-4.6?
>>>

>> There has been fixes on top of 4.6.0 the one we have right now is vanilla
>> 4.6.0 release. I plan to add second set of patches but you have to dig a bit
>> more to identify the problem
>>

> I have some updates for gcc 4.6.0
> they are staged in
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/gcc-4.6
>
> (top 3 patches)
>
> Please test them out and if you are lucky
> your problem might be fixed too.
>
> All, please try these patches and provide any feedback

There seem to be some missing pieces:
| ERROR: Function 'Fetcher failure for URL: 'file://gcc-4_6-branch-backports/0055-Remove-svn-mergeinfo.patch'. Unable to fetch URL
file://gcc-4_6-branch-backports/0055-Remove-svn-mergeinfo.patch from any source.' failed

I don't see either gcc-4_6-branch-backports or linaro directories
(full of patches) in the tree.

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-02 11:37       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-02 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-02 12:57       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-02 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 04/30/2011 04:10 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Khem Raj<raj.khem@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Gary Thomas<gary@mlbassoc.com>  wrote:
>>> I got my OMAP target to build with GCC-4.6.0 using the latest
>>> Poky tree after a fresh rebuild.  Sadly, the Linux kernel (2.6.37.3)
>>> does not run correctly when built with this compiler.  It
>>> fails when enumerating the USB bus :-(
>>>
>>> Are there known issues with the Linux kernel on ARM and GCC-4.6?
>>>

>> There has been fixes on top of 4.6.0 the one we have right now is vanilla
>> 4.6.0 release. I plan to add second set of patches but you have to dig a bit
>> more to identify the problem
>>

> I have some updates for gcc 4.6.0
> they are staged in
>
> http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=kraj/gcc-4.6
>
> (top 3 patches)
>
> Please test them out and if you are lucky
> your problem might be fixed too.
>
> All, please try these patches and provide any feedback

I was able to build my kernel (ARM OMAP/3530 based) using this, but
the USB still doesn't work, so no improvement, sorry.

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-02 12:57       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-02 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

       [not found]       ` <4DBE9E61.9030206@gmail.com>
@ 2011-05-02 22:24           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-05-02 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Gary Thomas <samoht.yrag@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that the file
> gcc-4_6-branch-backports/0055-Remove-svn-mergeinfo.patch is empty
> in your tree, so patch didn't create it for me.  Should it just be removed
> from the SRC list?

good find. Yes it should be. I will remove it and repush to same branch

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-02 22:24           ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-05-02 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-02 22:57         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-05-02 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

2011/5/2 Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>:
> I was able to build my kernel (ARM OMAP/3530 based) using this, but

good.

> the USB still doesn't work, so no improvement, sorry.

bad. hmm I guess it needs to be debugged. Many times new compilers
unearth coding errors
sometimes compiler mess up too.

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-02 22:57         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-05-02 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-11  3:28         ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2011-05-11  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Khem Raj; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches, oe-core layer

Gary,
 Is the USB breakage is due to gcc 4.6.0 ?

Thanks,
Nitin

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-11  3:28         ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2011-05-11  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, Khem Raj
  Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-11 11:00           ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-11 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 05/10/2011 09:28 PM, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:

> [...]

Yes, that's the only change.  Building the kernel from the same
source repository with 4.5.2 (using patches from you and Khem Raj)
works perfectly.

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-11 11:00           ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-11 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-11 15:35             ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2011-05-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

> Yes, that's the only change.  Building the kernel from the same
> source repository with 4.5.2 (using patches from you and Khem Raj)
> works perfectly.

Hi Gary,
  The yocto-linux kernel had to go through few changes to mute some compiler warnings with gcc 4.6.0. Are you building your own kernel?

Thanks,
Nitin

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-11 15:35             ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2011-05-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-11 15:39               ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-11 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 05/11/2011 09:35 AM, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:
>> Yes, that's the only change.  Building the kernel from the same
>> source repository with 4.5.2 (using patches from you and Khem Raj)
>> works perfectly.
>>
> Hi Gary,
>    The yocto-linux kernel had to go through few changes to mute some compiler warnings with gcc 4.6.0. Are you building your own kernel?

Yes.  It's roughly based on the Angstrom 2.6.37 with BeagleBoard
support (I have additional OMAP boards which are not in the public
tree).

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-11 15:39               ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-11 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-11 17:03             ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-05-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 09:28 PM, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:

Unless we dig down and narrow the issue its hard to say if its a gcc
issue or a latent problem that
gcc 4.6 brings out.

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-11 17:03             ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-05-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 09:28 PM, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:

  (?)
@ 2011-05-16 21:26               ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2011-05-16 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Gary,
 I tried with qemuarm machine in the yocto tree. And I find the usb devices are working when compiled with gcc 4.6.0

Thanks,
Nitin

root@qemuarm:~# usb-devices

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 3
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0001 Rev=02.06
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.37.6-yocto-standard+ ohci_hcd
S:  Product=OHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:0c.0
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=056a ProdID=0000 Rev=42.10
S:  Manufacturer=QEMU 0.14.0
S:  Product=Wacom PenPartner
S:  SerialNumber=1
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=80mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=wacom

root@qemuarm:~# dmesg | head
Linux version 2.6.37.6-yocto-standard+ (nitin@nbuild2.sc.intel.com) (gcc version 4.6.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Fri May 13 13:55:35 PDT 2011
CPU: ARM926EJ-S [41069265] revision 5 (ARMv5TEJ), cr=00093177
CPU: VIVT data cache, VIVT instruction cache
Machine: ARM-Versatile PB
Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback
On node 0 totalpages: 32768
free_area_init_node: node 0, pgdat c05640c0, node_mem_map c05c0000
  Normal zone: 256 pages used for memmap
  Normal zone: 0 pages reserved
  Normal zone: 32512 pages, LIFO batch:7

* Re: [poky] GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-16 22:46                   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-16 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 05/16/2011 03:26 PM, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:
> Gary,
>   I tried with qemuarm machine in the yocto tree. And I find the usb devices are working when compiled with gcc 4.6.0

Can you try it on the beagleboard?

Also, it's not that the USB device isn't found, rather no devices connected to
the USB bus are discovered.

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-16 22:46                   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2011-05-16 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamble, Nitin A
  Cc: Poky Project, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 05/16/2011 03:26 PM, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:
> Gary,
>   I tried with qemuarm machine in the yocto tree. And I find the usb devices are working when compiled with gcc 4.6.0

Can you try it on the beagleboard?

Also, it's not that the USB device isn't found, rather no devices connected to
the USB bus are discovered.

> root@qemuarm:~# usb-devices
>
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 3
> D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0001 Rev=02.06
> S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.37.6-yocto-standard+ ohci_hcd
> S:  Product=OHCI Host Controller
> S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:0c.0
> C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
>
> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=056a ProdID=0000 Rev=42.10
> S:  Manufacturer=QEMU 0.14.0
> S:  Product=Wacom PenPartner
> S:  SerialNumber=1
> C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=80mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=wacom
>
> root@qemuarm:~# dmesg | head
> Linux version 2.6.37.6-yocto-standard+ (nitin@nbuild2.sc.intel.com) (gcc version 4.6.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Fri May 13 13:55:35 PDT 2011
> CPU: ARM926EJ-S [41069265] revision 5 (ARMv5TEJ), cr=00093177
> CPU: VIVT data cache, VIVT instruction cache
> Machine: ARM-Versatile PB
> Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writeback
> On node 0 totalpages: 32768
> free_area_init_node: node 0, pgdat c05640c0, node_mem_map c05c0000
>    Normal zone: 256 pages used for memmap
>    Normal zone: 0 pages reserved
>    Normal zone: 32512 pages, LIFO batch:7

* Re: [poky] GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-17 16:56                     ` Kamble, Nitin A
From: Kamble, Nitin A @ 2011-05-17 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On 05/16/2011 03:26 PM, Kamble, Nitin A wrote:
> > Gary,
> >   I tried with qemuarm machine in the yocto tree. And I find the usb
> devices are working when compiled with gcc 4.6.0
>
> Can you try it on the beagleboard?
>
> Also, it's not that the USB device isn't found, rather no devices
> connected to
> the USB bus are discovered.

Gary,
  I don't have a beagle board to try out. If you can put some debug printks in the code to figure out what is happening in there. And for qemuarm machine the mouse(touchpad) and keyboards are working.

Thanks,
Nitin

* Re: GCC 4.6.0 on ARM?
@ 2011-05-17 16:56                     ` Kamble, Nitin A