* [RFC] mmc_test: how use mmc_test on only eMMC board
@ 2011-05-19  4:53 Jaehoon Chung
From: Jaehoon Chung @ 2011-05-19  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mmc; +Cc: Chris Ball, Kyungmin Park

Hi mailing..

I want to know how use mmc_test..

In my case, i used only eMMC board.
So i didn't use unbind/bind for mmc_test.

echo mmc0:0001 > /sys/bus/mmc/drivers/mmcblk/unbind
then rootfs of my board has be broken

Plz let me know..

Regards,
Jaehoon Chung

* Re: [RFC] mmc_test: how use mmc_test on only eMMC board
@ 2011-05-19 14:58 ` Chris Ball
From: Chris Ball @ 2011-05-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaehoon Chung; +Cc: linux-mmc, Kyungmin Park

Hi,

On Thu, May 19 2011, Jaehoon Chung wrote:
> Hi mailing..
>
> I want to know how use mmc_test..
>
> In my case, i used only eMMC board.
> So i didn't use unbind/bind for mmc_test.
>
> echo mmc0:0001 > /sys/bus/mmc/drivers/mmcblk/unbind
> then rootfs of my board has be broken

mmc_test destroys the data on the card being tested, so there is no way
to use it on your active rootfs.

You would have to boot from external SD (or USB, or network, or
something else) in order to run it on your internal eMMC.  If you do
this, first make sure your eMMC doesn't contain any data needed to boot
your system far enough to be able to boot a kernel from another device.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb@laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>
One Laptop Per Child

* Re: [RFC] mmc_test: how use mmc_test on only eMMC board
@ 2011-05-20  1:39   ` Jaehoon Chung
From: Jaehoon Chung @ 2011-05-20  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Ball; +Cc: Jaehoon Chung, linux-mmc, Kyungmin Park

Hi,

Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 19 2011, Jaehoon Chung wrote:
>> Hi mailing..
>>
>> I want to know how use mmc_test..
>>
>> In my case, i used only eMMC board.
>> So i didn't use unbind/bind for mmc_test.
>>
>> echo mmc0:0001 > /sys/bus/mmc/drivers/mmcblk/unbind
>> then rootfs of my board has be broken
>
> mmc_test destroys the data on the card being tested, so there is no way
> to use it on your active rootfs.
>
> You would have to boot from external SD (or USB, or network, or
> something else) in order to run it on your internal eMMC.  If you do
> this, first make sure your eMMC doesn't contain any data needed to boot
> your system far enough to be able to boot a kernel from another device.

Thanks for your comment. i know that i can use SD-boot in order to use mmc_test.
but if there is other method, i want to know them.
I try to boot with SD-card..

Thanks Chris. :)

Regards,
Jaehoon Chung