* HBA Adaptor advice
@ 2011-05-19 12:26 Ed W
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Ed W @ 2011-05-19 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi, following on from a recent thread, can folks with decent multi-port
HBA adaptors please chime in with some model numbers of known decent
adaptors please?

The required use is to grow from currently 8 ish drives to perhaps 12-24
drives per machine. (It partitions out as: one or more RAID6 arrays for
data, plus a couple of backup drives)

Ideally I would like a controller with writeback cache and BBU since
whilst this office machine is likely quite underused, for any sensible
amount of IO (some of the other machines we might upgrade) this seems to
give a 10-100x increase in IOPs?  For the moment it's just a nice to
have though

I only intend to use linux software raid, so any onboard raid
functionality is just a liability.  Budget is either low £100 ish for
multi-port HBAs without cache, up to £1000 ish for 16-24 port high
performance cache controllers:

So far I saw recommendations for:

- LSI 1068E (SuperMicro 3081E)  (8 port 3Gb)
- LSI 9211-8i (8 port 6Gb)

And to avoid:
- Marvel controllers?
- Areca with marvel controllers?
- AOC-SASLP-MV8

these any good?
- LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i4e
- Areca ARC-1880ix-24

I'm completely ignorant of the current state of adaptors today:

- Are there any bargains to be had in the lower end 8-24 port category
(ie come up frequently as ebay specials and aren't locked to special
DELL-only disks, etc?)

- Cable management. Are there any backplanes for retro fitting into
desktop chassis (5 1/4 bays say?) which take single (8087?) connectors?

At the moment I just need to refresh our office server (10-12 disks
including back drives) and we need something compact and quiet so
looking for compact tower chassis options.  I'm also looking at adding
more storage into our datacenter racks though, so interested in a
shopping list of reliable higher performance options?

Please add suggestions for good value, reliable controllers known to
work well with linux

Thanks

Ed W

* Re: HBA Adaptor advice
@ 2011-05-23  2:11 Jim Schatzman
From: Jim Schatzman @ 2011-05-23  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

One more input re. using cheap drives.

I have been running about 20 Western Digital "Green" and "Enterprise" drives (half are 1.5 TB and half are 2 TB) for several years in Raid-5 and Raid-6 configurations (all linux md). They are up 24x7. When they first came on the market, about 30% of my new drives failed within 3 months of operation (about equal fractions of Green and Enterprise). Overall, 50% of the drives eventually failed - 35% of the Green drives and 100% of the Enterprise drives. In the past 18 months, one has failed (an Enterprise drive). That drive was a warranty replacement for an earlier Enterprise drive failure.

My impression is that Western was having some quality control issues with the 2GB drives - both Green and Enterprise. This was very annoying. It appears that quality has improved. I never lost any data nor ever had to restore from backup because I was always able to replace the bad drive and rebuild the raid without difficulty that I could not get solved through this forum.

My experience suggests that the WD Enterprise class drives were an unnecessary expense, at least as far as reliability is concerned.

Would I recommend cheap SATA drives for mission critical data?  Absolutely not. I wouldn't recommend  any  SATA drives. Go with the most  expensive SAS drives available. For that matter, I have loads of SCSI drives that are still going fine after 5 to 10 years of 365x24x7 operation.

If you are going to build a RAID from cheap drives, expect that part of your hardware savings will be compensated for by labor costs. Run smart checks often. Also, and I cannot emphasize this enough, make certain that everything attached to the RAID is plugged into a high quality UPS. Otherwise, you are just asking for a power spike to take out multiple drives and/or the controller and to lose data.

Jim

* HBA Adaptor Advice
@ 2011-05-23 11:14 Ed W
From: Ed W @ 2011-05-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Getting back on track of specific adaptor advice:

To recap: I am looking for ideas on what to buy to upgrade our small
office servers (not really stretched, just adding more backup disks and
similar). My main requirement is to be able to buy equipment in single
lots (one server at a time) and so I require the ability to take an
array from one machine and use it in another machine using a different
adaptor - therefore the previous thread has dissuaded me from looking at
adaptors with writeback cache (and also hardware raid controllers)

Therefore can I see a show of hands for "good value" HBA adaptors with
8, 12 and 24 ports? Ideally using fewer PCI slots is preferred and
onboard expanders rather than separate expanders are preferred

Seems that previously we discovered that most LSI RAID cards were well
supported and Marvel cards were frequently not.  Does this
generalisation persist with pure HBA cards also?

I can see the list of LSI HBA cards on their site, but any pointers for
good value HBA adaptors appreciated? (Current chassis will be a tower
chassic, but future upgrades are expected to be Supermicro/Norco 3/4U
rack boxes)
(is there a page on the wiki already covering any of this that we could
try and distil this wisdom to?)

Thanks

Ed W