* reiser4 + loop + NFS = disaster.
@ 2011-05-21 16:09 dE
From: dE @ 2011-05-21 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

I've been trying to loop mount reiser4 which resides on a file on an
exported NFS partition, it mounts fine but when copying a lot of small
files inside a complex directory tree everything just hangs all of a
sudden, in fact the whole share hangs. Any operation on the share
(including bash completion) will hang bash (or in that case any
application) completely.

Doing the same will work with any other FS. Parameters for reiser4 -

create=ccreg40,compress=gzip1,compressMode=force,fibration=lexic_fibre,formatting=tails

* Re: reiser4 + loop + NFS = disaster.
@ 2011-05-21 16:31 ` Edward Shishkin
From: Edward Shishkin @ 2011-05-21 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dE; +Cc: reiserfs-devel

On 05/21/2011 06:09 PM, dE wrote:
> I've been trying to loop mount reiser4 which resides on a file on an
> exported NFS partition, it mounts fine but when copying a lot of small
> files inside a complex directory tree everything just hangs all of a
> sudden, in fact the whole share hangs. Any operation on the share
> (including bash completion) will hang bash (or in that case any
> application) completely.
>
> Doing the same will work with any other FS. Parameters for reiser4 -

which kernel is on NFS server?

Thanks,
Edward.

@ 2011-05-22  3:13   ` dE
From: dE @ 2011-05-22  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

On 05/21/11 22:01, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> On 05/21/2011 06:09 PM, dE wrote:
>> I've been trying to loop mount reiser4 which resides on a file on an
>> exported NFS partition, it mounts fine but when copying a lot of small
>> files inside a complex directory tree everything just hangs all of a
>> sudden, in fact the whole share hangs. Any operation on the share
>> (including bash completion) will hang bash (or in that case any
>> application) completely.
>>
>> Doing the same will work with any other FS. Parameters for reiser4 -
>
> which kernel is on NFS server?
>
> Thanks,
> Edward.

2.6.32-debian. Client is 2.6.37-zen (Gentoo)

@ 2011-05-22 11:04     ` Edward Shishkin
       [not found]       ` <4DD924DA.208@gmail.com>
From: Edward Shishkin @ 2011-05-22 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dE; +Cc: reiserfs-devel

On 05/22/2011 05:13 AM, dE wrote:
> On 05/21/11 22:01, Edward Shishkin wrote:
>> On 05/21/2011 06:09 PM, dE wrote:
>>> I've been trying to loop mount reiser4 which resides on a file on an
>>> exported NFS partition, it mounts fine but when copying a lot of small
>>> files inside a complex directory tree everything just hangs all of a
>>> sudden, in fact the whole share hangs. Any operation on the share
>>> (including bash completion) will hang bash (or in that case any
>>> application) completely.
>>>
>>> Doing the same will work with any other FS. Parameters for reiser4 -
>>
>> which kernel is on NFS server?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Edward.
>>
> 2.6.32-debian.

Could you please upgrade to the latest one (.38)?
I remember there were some problems with loop
devices over reiser4 files that have been fixed.

Thanks,
Edward.

  Client is 2.6.37-zen (Gentoo)

>>> create=ccreg40,compress=gzip1,compressMode=force,fibration=lexic_fibre,formatting=tails

"formatting=tails" makes sense only for default file plugin (creg40).

Thanks,
Edward.

* Re: reiser4 + loop + NFS = disaster.
@ 2011-05-22 11:07       ` Edward Shishkin
       [not found]       ` <4DD924DA.208@gmail.com>
From: Edward Shishkin @ 2011-05-22 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dE; +Cc: reiserfs-devel

On 05/22/2011 01:04 PM, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 05:13 AM, dE wrote:

>>> which kernel is on NFS server?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Edward.
>>>
>> 2.6.32-debian.
>
> Could you please upgrade to the latest one (.38)?
> I remember there were some problems with loop
> devices over reiser4 files that have been fixed.
>
> Thanks,
> Edward.
>

> Client is 2.6.37-zen (Gentoo)

> "formatting=tails" makes sense only for default file plugin (creg40)

s/creg40/reg40/

* Re: reiser4 + loop + NFS = disaster.
       [not found]         ` <BANLkTin45nagasS8ZbpREMx2tryn1LQgYw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-05-24  4:06           ` dE
From: dE @ 2011-05-24  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

On 05/22/11 21:51, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM, dE<de.techno@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Could you please upgrade to the latest one (.38)?
>>> I remember there were some problems with loop
>>> devices over reiser4 files that have been fixed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Edward.
>>>
>> Humm.. does it matter? It's just a server (it doesn't even have reiser4
>> support). The client matters, that's 37.
>  From your message I have understood that you export a file which is on
> reiser4 partition.
>
> Anyway, I don't consider complaints on -zen stuff. Perhaps this is
> problem in reiser4, but it would be better to make sure that it is
> reproducible in the configuration vanilla kernel 2.6.38 +
> reiser4-for-2.6.38.patch.
>
> Thanks,
> Edward.
>
>>>   Client is 2.6.37-zen (Gentoo)

>>> "formatting=tails" makes sense only for default file plugin (creg40).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Edward.

It looks like the Zen kernel is a complete piece of rubble, you're
right. It shows many other reiser4 related problems with systemrescuecd
doesn't. There're a lot of non-reiser4 related issues too.

Speaking of which I was wondering about switching directly to 2.6.39, is
a patch for 39 on the horizon?