* Where to host new layers
@ 2011-05-13  9:10 Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2011-05-13  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer,
	openembeded-devel, Mike Westerhof

Hi Mike and all

I have created couple of layers namely meta-slugos (distro layer) and
meta-nslu ( machine layer). I was  looking for place to host those
layers. Would they be good under meta-openembedded ? I dont think
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
has git infrastructure otherwise that would be one place to put it.

Thanks

-Khem

* Re: Where to host new layers
@ 2011-05-13  9:47 ` Phil Blundell
From: Phil Blundell @ 2011-05-13  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 02:10 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> I have created couple of layers namely meta-slugos (distro layer) and
> meta-nslu ( machine layer). I was  looking for place to host those
> layers. Would they be good under meta-openembedded ? I dont think
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
> has git infrastructure otherwise that would be one place to put it.

I thought the idea was that meta-openembedded would remain distro- and
machine- neutral and that the BSP bits would live in separate repos.
Whether we want one repo per machine or some kind of shared repository
with a bunch of distros in is, I guess, something of an open question.

In the short term you could obviously host them on github or somewhere.
(I was originally planning to do that with meta-micro, but it turned out
to be fractionally more convenient to host it on my own git server so I
did that instead.)

In the longer term I don't think there's any reason we couldn't host
those kinds of distro layers on openembedded.org, either in separate
repositories or a single shared one.  I know there was some board
discussion a few months ago about whether or not oe.org should be in the
business of hosting third party BSPs but I'm not quite sure what the
outcome of that was.

p.

* Re: [oe] Where to host new layers
@ 2011-05-13 14:37     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2011-05-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel
  Cc: Phil Blundell, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 05/13/2011 05:47 AM, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 02:10 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>> I have created couple of layers namely meta-slugos (distro layer) and
>> meta-nslu ( machine layer). I was  looking for place to host those
>> layers. Would they be good under meta-openembedded ? I dont think
>> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
>> has git infrastructure otherwise that would be one place to put it.
>
> I thought the idea was that meta-openembedded would remain distro- and
> machine- neutral and that the BSP bits would live in separate repos.
> Whether we want one repo per machine or some kind of shared repository
> with a bunch of distros in is, I guess, something of an open question.
>
> In the short term you could obviously host them on github or somewhere.
> (I was originally planning to do that with meta-micro, but it turned out
> to be fractionally more convenient to host it on my own git server so I
> did that instead.)
>
> In the longer term I don't think there's any reason we couldn't host
> those kinds of distro layers on openembedded.org, either in separate
> repositories or a single shared one.  I know there was some board
> discussion a few months ago about whether or not oe.org should be in the
> business of hosting third party BSPs but I'm not quite sure what the
> outcome of that was.

I'd like to hear what the slugos guys would like to do.

Philip

* Re: Where to host new layers
@ 2011-05-13 14:37     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2011-05-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-13 16:58     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2011-05-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:47:10AM +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 02:10 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> > I have created couple of layers namely meta-slugos (distro layer) and
> > meta-nslu ( machine layer). I was  looking for place to host those
> > layers. Would they be good under meta-openembedded ? I dont think
> > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
> > has git infrastructure otherwise that would be one place to put it.
>
> In the longer term I don't think there's any reason we couldn't host
> those kinds of distro layers on openembedded.org, either in separate
> repositories or a single shared one.  I know there was some board
> discussion a few months ago about whether or not oe.org should be in the
> business of hosting third party BSPs but I'm not quite sure what the
> outcome of that was.

The outcome for the short term was to allow community-developed layers on
openembedded.org (where slugos/nslu should fall into that category, AFAICS)
and not yet the commercial layers/BSPs from manufacturers (those should be
directed to Yocto or asked to provide own hosting).

One of the reasons named was infrastructure limitations on openembedded.org as
of now. There were several possible solutions to hosting limitations discussed
few weeks ago by the board and involved parties...

--
Denys

* Re: Where to host new layers
@ 2011-05-13 16:58     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2011-05-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2011-05-26  3:11 ` Mike Westerhof
From: Mike Westerhof @ 2011-05-26  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj
  Cc: openembeded-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 5/13/2011 4:10 AM, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi Mike and all
>
> I have created couple of layers namely meta-slugos (distro layer) and
> meta-nslu ( machine layer). I was  looking for place to host those
> layers. Would they be good under meta-openembedded ? I dont think
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
> has git infrastructure otherwise that would be one place to put it.
>
> Thanks
>
> -Khem

Thanks Khem!

Tom has indicated that he'll set up the appropriate GIT infrastructure
to properly host these.  I'm still traveling, but should be back next
week -- so that would be a good time to see if we can move the repos
from the github location they're currently at.  Again, thanks for doing
this!

-Mike (mwester)