* assigned EHCI USB headset not working
@ 2011-06-08  6:33 André Weidemann
From: André Weidemann @ 2011-06-08  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi,
I am using latest clone from qemu-kvm git with kernel 2.6.35.7.

Since assigning PCI soundcards, did not yield any usable results, I
assigned a USB headset to a Windows7 VM.
I used the following two command lines to enable the EHCI controller
inside the VM and to assign the device to it:

-device usb-ehci,id=ehci \
-device usb-host,vendorid=046d,productid=0a01,bus=ehci.0 \

Right after starting the VM I see the following output:
Booting from Hard Disk...
Booting from 0000:7c00
husb: config #1 need 1
husb: 2 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
husb: config #1 need 1
husb: 2 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
husb: config #1 need 1
husb: 2 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
husb: config #1 need 1
husb: 3 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
husb: config #1 need 1
husb: 3 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
husb: config #1 need 1
husb: 3 interfaces claimed for configuration 1
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
USB stall
husb: config #1 need 1
husb: 2 interfaces claimed for configuration 1

"info usb" on the monitor looks like this:

   Device 0.1, Port 1, Speed 1.5 Mb/s, Product Microsoft Wireless
Desktop Rece
   Device 1.1, Port 1, Speed 480 Mb/s, Product Logitech USB Headset

The sound device shows up under Windows7 and drivers are installed
automatically. Unfortunately it does not work. All the players I tried,
did not even start playing the sound file, although they detected the
DirectSound Device.

When connected to a "natively" running Windows7, the USB headset works
the way it's supposed to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
  André

* Re: assigned EHCI USB headset not working
@ 2011-06-08 12:49 ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2011-06-08 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Weidemann; +Cc: kvm

   Hi,

> The sound device shows up under Windows7 and drivers are installed
> automatically. Unfortunately it does not work. All the players I tried,
> did not even start playing the sound file, although they detected the
> DirectSound Device.

iso xfer's from usb-linux via ehci are flaky for reasons not yet tracked
down.

Any reason why you don't just plug in a virtual sound card?  The HDA
emulation should work fine with win7.

cheers,
   Gerd

* Re: assigned EHCI USB headset not working
@ 2011-06-09  6:19   ` André Weidemann
From: André Weidemann @ 2011-06-09  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Hoffmann; +Cc: kvm

Hi Gerd,

On 08.06.2011 14:49, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> The sound device shows up under Windows7 and drivers are installed
>> automatically. Unfortunately it does not work. All the players I tried,
>> did not even start playing the sound file, although they detected the
>> DirectSound Device.
>
> iso xfer's from usb-linux via ehci are flaky for reasons not yet tracked
> down.
>
> Any reason why you don't just plug in a virtual sound card? The HDA
> emulation should work fine with win7.

Using the hda driver was my first attempt. But the result was not very
convincing. When playing mp3s inside the VM, I could hear music coming
from the speakers, but the sound was very choppy and too slow. It was no
joy listening to it.
I assumed that it may be a clocking issue, since the man page for qemu
lists the module paramter "clocking=48000" for the i810_audio driver.
The snd_hda_intel module however does not seem to have such a parameter.

I then double checked whether playing an mp3 works on the server, rather
than from inside the VM. I used mpg123 to test it and mp3s play without
distortion on the machine.

@ 2011-06-09  6:53     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-06-09  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Weidemann; +Cc: Gerd Hoffmann, kvm

On 2011-06-09 08:19, André Weidemann wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> On 08.06.2011 14:49, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> The sound device shows up under Windows7 and drivers are installed
>>> automatically. Unfortunately it does not work. All the players I tried,
>>> did not even start playing the sound file, although they detected the
>>> DirectSound Device.
>>
>> iso xfer's from usb-linux via ehci are flaky for reasons not yet tracked
>> down.
>>
>> Any reason why you don't just plug in a virtual sound card? The HDA
>> emulation should work fine with win7.
>
> Using the hda driver was my first attempt. But the result was not very
> convincing. When playing mp3s inside the VM, I could hear music coming
> from the speakers, but the sound was very choppy and too slow. It was no
> joy listening to it.

Does "export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_TRY_POLL=0" before invoking qemu helps? It
depends on your host-side interface. Using ALSA here, it is generally
required.

Note that this discussion rather belongs on qemu-devel.

Jan

* Re: assigned EHCI USB headset not working
@ 2011-06-09  7:08       ` André Weidemann
From: André Weidemann @ 2011-06-09  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Gerd Hoffmann, kvm

Hi Jan,

On 09.06.2011 08:53, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2011-06-09 08:19, André Weidemann wrote:
>> Hi Gerd,
>>
>> On 08.06.2011 14:49, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> iso xfer's from usb-linux via ehci are flaky for reasons not yet tracked
>>> down.
>>>
>>> Any reason why you don't just plug in a virtual sound card? The HDA
>>> emulation should work fine with win7.
>>
>> Using the hda driver was my first attempt. But the result was not very
>> convincing. When playing mp3s inside the VM, I could hear music coming
>> from the speakers, but the sound was very choppy and too slow. It was no
>> joy listening to it.
>
> Does "export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_TRY_POLL=0" before invoking qemu helps? It
> depends on your host-side interface. Using ALSA here, it is generally
> required.
>
> Note that this discussion rather belongs on qemu-devel.

Thank you very much. Setting the variable did the trick.
Could this perhaps be included in the man page? I am sure there will be
others who will eventually run into the same problem as I did.

@ 2011-06-09  7:11           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-06-09  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Weidemann; +Cc: Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, malc, qemu-devel

On 2011-06-09 09:08, André Weidemann wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On 09.06.2011 08:53, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2011-06-09 08:19, André Weidemann wrote:
>>> Hi Gerd,

>>> Using the hda driver was my first attempt. But the result was not very
>>> convincing. When playing mp3s inside the VM, I could hear music coming
>>> from the speakers, but the sound was very choppy and too slow. It was no
>>> joy listening to it.
>>
>> Does "export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_TRY_POLL=0" before invoking qemu helps? It
>> depends on your host-side interface. Using ALSA here, it is generally
>> required.
>>
>> Note that this discussion rather belongs on qemu-devel.
>
> Thank you very much. Setting the variable did the trick.
> Could this perhaps be included in the man page? I am sure there will be
> others who will eventually run into the same problem as I did.

It is a long-standing issue of QEMU that I always wanted to understand
but never found the time for. CC'ing malc, maybe he has a good idea how
to finally attack this.

Jan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] assigned EHCI USB headset not working
@ 2011-06-09  7:11           ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-06-09  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Weidemann; +Cc: Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

@ 2011-06-09 15:13             ` malc
From: malc @ 2011-06-09 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> On 2011-06-09 09:08, Andr? Weidemann wrote:
> > Hi Jan,

> >> Does "export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_TRY_POLL=0" before invoking qemu helps? It
> >> depends on your host-side interface. Using ALSA here, it is generally
> >> required.
> >>
> >> Note that this discussion rather belongs on qemu-devel.
> >
> > Thank you very much. Setting the variable did the trick.
> > Could this perhaps be included in the man page? I am sure there will be
> > others who will eventually run into the same problem as I did.
>
> It is a long-standing issue of QEMU that I always wanted to understand
> but never found the time for. CC'ing malc, maybe he has a good idea how
> to finally attack this.

Attack what exactly?

--
mailto:av1474@comtv.ru

From: malc @ 2011-06-09 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> On 2011-06-09 09:08, Andr? Weidemann wrote:
> > Hi Jan,

> >> Does "export QEMU_AUDIO_DAC_TRY_POLL=0" before invoking qemu helps? It
> >> depends on your host-side interface. Using ALSA here, it is generally
> >> required.
> >>
> >> Note that this discussion rather belongs on qemu-devel.
> >
> > Thank you very much. Setting the variable did the trick.
> > Could this perhaps be included in the man page? I am sure there will be
> > others who will eventually run into the same problem as I did.
>
> It is a long-standing issue of QEMU that I always wanted to understand
> but never found the time for. CC'ing malc, maybe he has a good idea how
> to finally attack this.

Attack what exactly?

--
mailto:av1474@comtv.ru

* Re: assigned EHCI USB headset not working
@ 2011-06-09 15:24               ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-06-09 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malc; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

On 2011-06-09 17:13, malc wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
>> On 2011-06-09 09:08, Andr? Weidemann wrote:
>>> Hi Jan,

>>> Thank you very much. Setting the variable did the trick.
>>> Could this perhaps be included in the man page? I am sure there will be
>>> others who will eventually run into the same problem as I did.
>>
>> It is a long-standing issue of QEMU that I always wanted to understand
>> but never found the time for. CC'ing malc, maybe he has a good idea how
>> to finally attack this.
>>

> Attack what exactly?

Sound output over (at least) ALSA is not smoothly working in polled
mode. It's similar to [1], which is yet unsolved.

Jan

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/52365

From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-06-09 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malc; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

@ 2011-06-09 16:09                 ` malc
From: malc @ 2011-06-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> On 2011-06-09 17:13, malc wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:

[..snip..]

> Sound output over (at least) ALSA is not smoothly working in polled
> mode. It's similar to [1], which is yet unsolved.
>
> Jan
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/52365

I've lost the mail from that period, have you sent me the info i've
requested? In any case, please  do provide detailed information on how
to reproduce this (not involving windows guests though, i don't have
those)

--
mailto:av1474@comtv.ru

From: malc @ 2011-06-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

@ 2011-06-09 17:11                   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-06-09 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malc; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

On 2011-06-09 18:09, malc wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
>> On 2011-06-09 17:13, malc wrote:
>>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>>

> [..snip..]
>

>> Sound output over (at least) ALSA is not smoothly working in polled
>> mode. It's similar to [1], which is yet unsolved.
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/52365
>>

> I've lost the mail from that period, have you sent me the info i've
> requested?

Just reposted it privately.

> In any case, please  do provide detailed information on how
> to reproduce this (not involving windows guests though, i don't have
> those)

I've two scenarios at hand now: one involves a Windows 7 guest with
-soundhw hda, the other is my Musicpal (do you still have a firmware
image at hand?). Some Linux guest here with identical configuration like
Win7 does not show any problems in polling mode.

From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-06-09 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malc; +Cc: André Weidemann, Gerd Hoffmann, kvm, qemu-devel

On 2011-06-09 18:09, malc wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
>> On 2011-06-09 17:13, malc wrote:
>>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>>

> [..snip..]
>

>> Sound output over (at least) ALSA is not smoothly working in polled
>> mode. It's similar to [1], which is yet unsolved.
>>
>> Jan
>>
>> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/52365
>>

> I've lost the mail from that period, have you sent me the info i've
> requested?

Just reposted it privately.

@ 2011-06-10  6:23                     ` Gerd Hoffmann
From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2011-06-10  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: malc, André Weidemann, kvm, qemu-devel

   Hi,

> I've two scenarios at hand now: one involves a Windows 7 guest with
> -soundhw hda, the other is my Musicpal (do you still have a firmware
> image at hand?). Some Linux guest here with identical configuration like
> Win7 does not show any problems in polling mode.

Noteworthy difference between linux and windows 7:  Windows 7 uses a
pretty small ring buffer (~ one page, where 20ms sound data fit in)
whereas linux uses *alot* more, 128k or so.

That makes win7 guests quite sensitive to latency issues, be it in the
audio subsystem or elsewhere.  For example bulky screen updates with the
non-threaded vnc server are enougth to cause audible glitches in audio
playback.

HTH,
   Gerd

From: Gerd Hoffmann @ 2011-06-10  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)