* ALSA Fireworks driver
@ 2011-06-17  6:26 Doug McLain
From: Doug McLain @ 2011-06-17  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clemens, alsa-devel

Hi Clemens,

I came across your fireworks driver the other day, and would like to get
involved.  Has there been any discussion on this anywhere or have you
been completely on your own?  I did a search of alsa-devel and didn't
find anything, suprisingly.  It seems like native alsa support of what
seems to me to be the first FW device would be the talk of the town. :)

I built the driver as a module on F15 and loaded it on my AF12, and
found it in /proc/asound/cards, and tried to start jack on it and it
failed to start for duplex, capture, or playback, just FYI.

Doug

* Re: ALSA Fireworks driver
@ 2011-06-17  7:15 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2011-06-17  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McLain; +Cc: alsa-devel

Doug McLain wrote:
> I came across your fireworks driver the other day, and would like to get
> involved.  Has there been any discussion on this anywhere or have you
> been completely on your own?  I did a search of alsa-devel and didn't
> find anything, suprisingly.

You should've searched ffado-devel and linux1394-devel.

> It seems like native alsa support of what
> seems to me to be the first FW device would be the talk of the town. :)

*cough*
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=sound/firewire/Kconfig

> I built the driver as a module on F15 and loaded it on my AF12, and
> found it in /proc/asound/cards, and tried to start jack on it and it
> failed to start for duplex, capture, or playback, just FYI.

In theory, this should have worked.  What exactly does "failed" mean?

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: ALSA Fireworks driver
@ 2011-06-17  7:21   ` Doug McLain
       [not found]     ` <4DFB0643.7070700@ladisch.de>
From: Doug McLain @ 2011-06-17  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: alsa-devel

[nostar@iggy firewire]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                       HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 21
  1 [U0x1acc0x09    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x1acc:0x09
                       USB Device 0x1acc:0x09 at usb-0000:00:02.0-1,
full speed
  2 [U0x46d0x992    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x992
                       USB Device 0x46d:0x992 at usb-0000:00:04.1-3.2,
high speed
  3 [AudioFire12    ]: Fireworks - AudioFire12
                       Echo Digital Audio AudioFire12 v5.0, GUID
0014860fc44a84a6 at fw1.0, S400
[nostar@iggy firewire]$ jackd -v -R -dalsa -dhw:3
jackd 0.120.2
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib64/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib64/jack/jack_net.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib64/jack/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib64/jack/jack_firewire.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib64/jack/jack_alsa.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib64/jack/jack_oss.so
server `default' registered
registered builtin port type 32 bit float mono audio
registered builtin port type 8 bit raw midi
clock source = system clock via clock_gettime
start poll on 3 fd's
new client: alsa_pcm, id = 1 type 1 @ 0xb42150 fd = -1
creating alsa driver ... hw:3|hw:3|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:3
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa
starting server engine shutdown
freeing shared port segments
server thread back from poll
stopping server thread
last xrun delay: 0.000 usecs
max delay reported by backend: 0.000 usecs
freeing engine shared memory
max usecs: 0.000, engine deleted
cleaning up shared memory
cleaning up files
unregistering server `default'
no message buffer overruns
[nostar@iggy firewire]$ ls -l /dev/snd*
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       80 Jun 15 20:02 by-id
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      120 Jun 17 03:17 by-path
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 10 Jun 15 20:02 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 12 Jun 15 20:02 controlC1
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 14 Jun 15 20:02 controlC2
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 15 Jun 17 03:17 controlC3
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  9 Jun 15 20:02 hwC0D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  8 Jun 15 20:02 hwC0D3
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 11 Jun 15 20:02 midiC1D0
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  7 Jun 15 20:11 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  6 Jun 17 03:12 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  5 Jun 15 20:03 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  4 Jun 15 20:03 pcmC0D1p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  3 Jun 15 20:02 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  2 Jun 15 20:03 pcmC0D3p
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 13 Jun 15 20:03 pcmC2D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116,  1 Jun 15 20:02 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 33 Jun 15 20:02 timer

On 06/17/2011 03:15 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Doug McLain wrote:
>> I came across your fireworks driver the other day, and would like to get
>> involved.  Has there been any discussion on this anywhere or have you
>> been completely on your own?  I did a search of alsa-devel and didn't
>> find anything, suprisingly.
>
> You should've searched ffado-devel and linux1394-devel.
>
>> It seems like native alsa support of what
>> seems to me to be the first FW device would be the talk of the town. :)
>
> *cough*
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=sound/firewire/Kconfig
>
>> I built the driver as a module on F15 and loaded it on my AF12, and
>> found it in /proc/asound/cards, and tried to start jack on it and it
>> failed to start for duplex, capture, or playback, just FYI.
>
> In theory, this should have worked.  What exactly does "failed" mean?
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

* Re: ALSA Fireworks driver
       [not found]       ` <4DFB1F0B.5010201@nostar.net>
@ 2011-06-17 11:17         ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2011-06-17 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McLain; +Cc: alsa-devel

Doug McLain wrote:
> > > [nostar@iggy firewire]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> > >  3 [AudioFire12    ]: Fireworks - AudioFire12
> > >                       Echo Digital Audio AudioFire12 v5.0, GUID 0014860fc44a84a6 at fw1.0, S400
>
> [nostar@iggy export]$ aplay -D plughw:AudioFire12 wg.wav
> aplay: main:660: audio open error: No such file or directory
>
> [nostar@iggy export]$ aplay -l
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>    Subdevices: 1/1
>    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

There is not PCM device for the AF12.

In theory, it shouldn't be possible for the driver to attach to the
device without having created the PCM device.  Are you sure that you
have the latest version of the driver?  Where exactly did you get it
from?  Please check that the fireworks.c file has 2275 lines, like this
one:
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kprivate.git;a=blob;hb=fireworks;f=sound/firewire/fireworks.c

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: ALSA Fireworks driver
@ 2011-06-18 21:18           ` Doug McLain
From: Doug McLain @ 2011-06-18 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: alsa-devel

Aha! I had an older version that someone from the ffado list pointed me
to.  I grabbed the .c and .h file from your link and built them (after
defining CSR_IPCR and CSR_OPCR locally, my kernel-dev pkg doesnt have
them) and now jack starts and I can record and play from ardour, but
only at 44.1Khz, even though I start jackd with -r48000.  It looks like
44.1Khz is the default setting the AF12 powers up at, and the alsa
driver doesn't know how to change SR yet, is this the case?

I start the device up using ffado to force it into 48K, but then jack
will no longer start using the alsa driver until I cycle power on the
device.

The driver appears to work good in 44.1K though.  Aplay plays wav files
using plughw, but not hw.

I also wonder if you can explain to me how to clone just that driver so
I can keep up with it correctly using git pull.  I'm a little weak on
git.  I just grabbed the .c and .h files manually and made my own
Makefile for standalone module building.

Doug

On 06/17/2011 07:17 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

>> [nostar@iggy export]$ aplay -D plughw:AudioFire12 wg.wav
>> aplay: main:660: audio open error: No such file or directory
>>
>> [nostar@iggy export]$ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
>>     Subdevices: 1/1
>>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
>>     Subdevices: 1/1
>>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>     Subdevices: 1/1
>>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> There is not PCM device for the AF12.
>
> In theory, it shouldn't be possible for the driver to attach to the
> device without having created the PCM device.  Are you sure that you
> have the latest version of the driver?  Where exactly did you get it
> from?  Please check that the fireworks.c file has 2275 lines, like this
> one:
> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kprivate.git;a=blob;hb=fireworks;f=sound/firewire/fireworks.c
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

* Re: ALSA Fireworks driver
@ 2011-06-18 22:51           ` Doug McLain
From: Doug McLain @ 2011-06-18 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: alsa-devel

FYI I tried #define FIXED_RATE 48000 just to see if I could use the
driver at 48K for soem recording sessions today.  It built, loaded, and
successfully changed the device to 48K, and jack starts fine, but no
audio makes it from ardour to the device.  Also, aplay fails:

aplay -D plughw:AudioFire12 wg.wav
aplay: main:660: audio open error: Input/output error

Everything goes back to normal when I change the source back to 44100.

>> [nostar@iggy export]$ aplay -D plughw:AudioFire12 wg.wav
>> aplay: main:660: audio open error: No such file or directory
>>
>> [nostar@iggy export]$ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
>>     Subdevices: 1/1
>>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
>>     Subdevices: 1/1
>>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>     Subdevices: 1/1
>>     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> There is not PCM device for the AF12.
>
> In theory, it shouldn't be possible for the driver to attach to the
> device without having created the PCM device.  Are you sure that you
> have the latest version of the driver?  Where exactly did you get it
> from?  Please check that the fireworks.c file has 2275 lines, like this
> one:
> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kprivate.git;a=blob;hb=fireworks;f=sound/firewire/fireworks.c
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

* Re: ALSA Fireworks driver
@ 2011-06-21 11:38             ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2011-06-21 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McLain; +Cc: alsa-devel

Doug McLain wrote:
> It looks like 44.1Khz is the default setting the AF12 powers up at, and
> the alsa driver doesn't know how to change SR yet, is this the case?

Actually, the driver knows quite well how to change SR, and does this to
initialize the device to 44.1 kHz.  However, this driver was intended as
a prototype, so I didn't bother to implement making the other SRs
available to ALSA applications.

> FYI I tried #define FIXED_RATE 48000 just to see if I could use the
> driver at 48K for soem recording sessions today.

This should work if you also change FIXED_RATE_SFC (0...6 = 32/44.1/48/
88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz).

> Aplay plays wav files using plughw, but not hw.

This is to be expected if your .wav doesn't have twelve channels of
32-bit samples.

> I also wonder if you can explain to me how to clone just that driver so
> I can keep up with it correctly using git pull.  I'm a little weak on
> git.  I just grabbed the .c and .h files manually and made my own
> Makefile for standalone module building.

The driver is in a kernel repository because it is part of the kernel;
using it with other kernel versions would require back-porting any
changes in the kernel API (as you did this with the CSR_ symbols).

Current development is in the firewire-kernel-streaming branch, where
the drivers are composed of more files and depend on some changes in
the core kernel.  There is no easy way of using these with another
kernel.

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: ALSA Fireworks driver
@ 2011-06-21 12:57               ` Doug McLain
From: Doug McLain @ 2011-06-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: alsa-devel

Nice, now I have it up and running with my preferred SR of 48Khz, and it
seems to be stable.  I figured out the git stuff since the last email I
sent.  I didn't know how to browse and switch to various branches, so I
kept getting the wrong files in sound/firewire.

Thanks for the help,
Doug