* Whitepaper: database workloads using RBD with dm-cache and Ceph cache tiering
@ 2015-11-02 18:09 Douglas Fuller
From: Douglas Fuller @ 2015-11-02 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

I’ve published a whitepaper detailing configuration and benchmark results using SysBench MySQL on top of RBD with dm-cache. Results using a Ceph cache tier are also included. Questions, comments, criticism, nitpicking, and/or discussion are welcome.

http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/Ceph_and_dm-cache_for_Database_Workloads

—Doug--

* Re: Whitepaper: database workloads using RBD with dm-cache and Ceph cache tiering
@ 2015-11-04  2:27 ` Blair Bethwaite
From: Blair Bethwaite @ 2015-11-04  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Fuller; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Douglas,

It's not clear whether you used SSD journals for the OSDs in the base
config (or in the backing pool for the tiered tests) - it looks like
not?

If that's the case then I don't think this provides the most
interesting point of comparison, because the tests are write-latency
sensitive you'd naturally expect SSD journals to make a lot of
difference and would surely start with those in the base config. I'm
interested in how a similar setup would perform compared to regular
journaling and Ceph tiering all on the server-side, e.g., dm-cache (or
bcache) based OSDs - apparently a bunch of people do this in the wild
with success, but AFAIK there has never been any detailed benchmarking
published.

Cheers,

On 3 November 2015 at 05:09, Douglas Fuller <dfuller@redhat.com> wrote:
> I’ve published a whitepaper detailing configuration and benchmark results using SysBench MySQL on top of RBD with dm-cache. Results using a Ceph cache tier are also included. Questions, comments, criticism, nitpicking, and/or discussion are welcome.
>
> http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/ceph/wiki/Ceph_and_dm-cache_for_Database_Workloads
>
> —Doug--

Cheers,
~Blairo

* Re: Whitepaper: database workloads using RBD with dm-cache and Ceph cache tiering
@ 2015-11-04 15:22   ` Douglas Fuller
From: Douglas Fuller @ 2015-11-04 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blair Bethwaite; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Blario,

Thanks for the feedback.

> On Nov 3, 2015, at 9:27 PM, Blair Bethwaite <blair.bethwaite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Douglas,
>
> It's not clear whether you used SSD journals for the OSDs in the base
> config (or in the backing pool for the tiered tests) - it looks like
> not?

Correct, these tests used spinning disk journals; the test cluster isn’t equipped with SSDs. It may be interesting to know how using NVMe devices for journaling as opposed to a cache tier performs. I’ll run the numbers.

> If that's the case then I don't think this provides the most
> interesting point of comparison, because the tests are write-latency
> sensitive you'd naturally expect SSD journals to make a lot of
> difference and would surely start with those in the base config. I'm
> interested in how a similar setup would perform compared to regular
> journaling and Ceph tiering all on the server-side, e.g., dm-cache (or
> bcache) based OSDs - apparently a bunch of people do this in the wild
> with success, but AFAIK there has never been any detailed benchmarking
> published.

I haven’t heard of this type of configuration myself, but it might be a possible scenario to explore.

Thanks again,
—Doug