* fsck.reiser4 query
@ 2011-06-28  2:31 doiggl
From: doiggl @ 2011-06-28  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-devel

Hello,
I have some questions.

1. Is there any possibility of speeding up the command proocess #
fsck.reiser4 --build-fs /dev/xxx
Could the metadata be loaded into ram and processed their or is the
process entirly disk bound by I/O ?
2. Also will there a reiser4-for-2.6.39.patch in the future ?
Thanks Glenn

* Re: fsck.reiser4 query
@ 2011-07-03 21:02 ` Edward Shishkin
From: Edward Shishkin @ 2011-07-03 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: doiggl; +Cc: reiserfs-devel

On 06/28/2011 04:31 AM, doiggl@velocitynet.com.au wrote:
> Hello,
> I have some questions.
>
> 1. Is there any possibility of speeding up the command proocess #
> fsck.reiser4 --build-fs /dev/xxx

Yes, such possibility does exist.

Fsck can work faster if you have many subvolumes
per superblock (currently reiser4 supports only one
subvolume per superblock).

> Could the metadata be loaded into ram and processed their or is the
> process entirly disk bound by I/O ?

This is both, CPU and I/O bound.

The first one can be improved if we make fsck process
all subvolumes in parallel. The second one can be improved
if we map subvolumes to different physical (scsi) drives.

> 2. Also will there a reiser4-for-2.6.39.patch in the future ?

I hope so..

Thanks,
Edward.