* XenParavirtOps wiki cleanup, comments needed
@ 2011-07-25 20:23 Pasi Kärkkäinen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-07-25 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Hello,

Jeremy/Konrad/others: What do you guys think of the stuff on XenParavirtOps page?
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

I was planning to clean it up, and remove things like this:

"Xen/paravirt_ops has not had wide use or testing, so any testing you do is extremely valuable."
"Xen/paravirt_ops is very much a work in progress, and there are still feature gaps compared to 2.6.18-xen."

etc.. those don't sound like very up-to-date anymore :)

What about the notes like these:
	- "CPU hotplug" (I guess this is about vcpu hotplug?)
	- "Device hotplug"
	- "Device unplug/module unload"

What's the status of those so I can update the page.. ?

Thanks,

-- Pasi

* Re: XenParavirtOps wiki cleanup, comments needed
@ 2011-07-25 21:04 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-07-25 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge, xen-devel

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23:57PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jeremy/Konrad/others: What do you guys think of the stuff on XenParavirtOps page?
> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>
> I was planning to clean it up, and remove things like this:
>
> "Xen/paravirt_ops has not had wide use or testing, so any testing you do is extremely valuable."
> "Xen/paravirt_ops is very much a work in progress, and there are still feature gaps compared to 2.6.18-xen."

Yeah, we been quite busy testing and getting things ready.

Feature gaps .. well, there are some, I was thinking to list them on the
presentation I am doing on.

> etc.. those don't sound like very up-to-date anymore :)
>
> What about the notes like these:
> 	- "CPU hotplug" (I guess this is about vcpu hotplug?)

Done.
> 	- "Device hotplug"

There is the blkback bug that Joe Jin is going to fix.
> 	- "Device unplug/module unload"

Um, done with Bastian's Blank patches that do some MODULE_ALIAS magic.

> What's the status of those so I can update the page.. ?

I think done.

@ 2011-07-25 21:12 ` Olivier B.
From: Olivier B. @ 2011-07-25 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi,

if "device hotplug" include block attach, then it works : I can add new block device in a running PVOps DomU.

@ 2011-07-26  8:40   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-07-26  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge, xen-devel

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 05:04:39PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23:57PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Jeremy/Konrad/others: What do you guys think of the stuff on XenParavirtOps page?
> > http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
> >
> > I was planning to clean it up, and remove things like this:
> >
> > "Xen/paravirt_ops has not had wide use or testing, so any testing you do is extremely valuable."
> > "Xen/paravirt_ops is very much a work in progress, and there are still feature gaps compared to 2.6.18-xen."
>
> Yeah, we been quite busy testing and getting things ready.
>
> Feature gaps .. well, there are some, I was thinking to list them on the
> presentation I am doing on.

Yep, I'll update the wiki page after XenSummit.

@ 2011-07-27  8:54 ` Daniel Kiper
From: Daniel Kiper @ 2011-07-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi K?rkk?inen; +Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23:57PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jeremy/Konrad/others: What do you guys think of the stuff on XenParavirtOps page?
> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
>
> I was planning to clean it up, and remove things like this:
>
> "Xen/paravirt_ops has not had wide use or testing, so any testing you do is extremely valuable."
> "Xen/paravirt_ops is very much a work in progress, and there are still feature gaps compared to 2.6.18-xen."
>
> etc.. those don't sound like very up-to-date anymore :)
>
> What about the notes like these:
> 	- "CPU hotplug" (I guess this is about vcpu hotplug?)
> 	- "Device hotplug"
> 	- "Device unplug/module unload"
>
> What's the status of those so I can update the page.. ?

Pasi, memory hotplug support for Xen balloon driver is merged
into Linus git tree. It means that it will be available in
Linux Kernel Ver. 3.1.

Daniel

* Re: XenParavirtOps wiki cleanup, comments needed
@ 2011-07-27  9:03   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-07-27  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kiper; +Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:54:34AM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23:57PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Jeremy/Konrad/others: What do you guys think of the stuff on XenParavirtOps page?
> > http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
> >
> > I was planning to clean it up, and remove things like this:
> >
> > "Xen/paravirt_ops has not had wide use or testing, so any testing you do is extremely valuable."
> > "Xen/paravirt_ops is very much a work in progress, and there are still feature gaps compared to 2.6.18-xen."
> >
> > etc.. those don't sound like very up-to-date anymore :)
> >
> > What about the notes like these:
> > 	- "CPU hotplug" (I guess this is about vcpu hotplug?)
> > 	- "Device hotplug"
> > 	- "Device unplug/module unload"
> >
> > What's the status of those so I can update the page.. ?
>
> Pasi, memory hotplug support for Xen balloon driver is merged
> into Linus git tree. It means that it will be available in
> Linux Kernel Ver. 3.1.

Nice, congratulations!

@ 2011-07-28 13:10     ` Daniel Kiper
From: Daniel Kiper @ 2011-07-28 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi K?rkk?inen
  Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge, xen-devel, Daniel Kiper, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 12:03:53PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:54:34AM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23:57PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Jeremy/Konrad/others: What do you guys think of the stuff on XenParavirtOps page?
> > > http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
> > >
> > > I was planning to clean it up, and remove things like this:
> > >
> > > "Xen/paravirt_ops has not had wide use or testing, so any testing you do is extremely valuable."
> > > "Xen/paravirt_ops is very much a work in progress, and there are still feature gaps compared to 2.6.18-xen."
> > >
> > > etc.. those don't sound like very up-to-date anymore :)
> > >
> > > What about the notes like these:
> > > 	- "CPU hotplug" (I guess this is about vcpu hotplug?)
> > > 	- "Device hotplug"
> > > 	- "Device unplug/module unload"
> > >
> > > What's the status of those so I can update the page.. ?
> >
> > Pasi, memory hotplug support for Xen balloon driver is merged
> > into Linus git tree. It means that it will be available in
> > Linux Kernel Ver. 3.1.
>
> Nice, congratulations!

Thanks. Pasi, could you remove "Balloon expansion (using memory hotplug)
to..." sentence from "Work in progress" section "Balloon expansion
(using memory hotplug) to..." sentence ???

Additionally, please move "kdump/kexec" bullet from "To be done" section
to "Work in progress" section. It is my GSoC 2011 project. You could
find more details about it here:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/dkiper/1001

Daniel

* Re: XenParavirtOps wiki cleanup, comments needed
@ 2011-07-29 17:31       ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-07-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kiper; +Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge, xen-devel, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 03:10:56PM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 12:03:53PM +0300, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:

> > > Pasi, memory hotplug support for Xen balloon driver is merged
> > > into Linus git tree. It means that it will be available in
> > > Linux Kernel Ver. 3.1.
> >
> > Nice, congratulations!
>
> Thanks. Pasi, could you remove "Balloon expansion (using memory hotplug)
> to..." sentence from "Work in progress" section "Balloon expansion
> (using memory hotplug) to..." sentence ???
>
> Additionally, please move "kdump/kexec" bullet from "To be done" section
> to "Work in progress" section. It is my GSoC 2011 project. You could
> find more details about it here:
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/dkiper/1001

Done!

-- Pasi