* [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Planning for 1.0 (and freezing the master branch)
@ 2011-08-11 13:46 Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-08-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, Kevin Wolf
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Michael S. Tsirkin, Marcelo Tosatti,
	Justin M. Forbes, Blue Swirl, Avi Kivity, Edgar E. Iglesias,
	Aurelien Jarno, Gerd Hoffmann

Hi,

I've posted an initial proposal for the 1.0 release on the wiki[1].

The release would be targeted for December 1st.  Unlike previous
releases, I'm proposing that instead of forking master into a stable
branch and releasing from there, we stop taking features into master and
all work on stablizing master.

Historically, we forked stable for the releases simply because it was
the least intrusive way to get us on a somewhat reasonable release
schedule.  I think especially since we're targeting a 1.0, we're ready
to get a bit more serious about releases.

I see the following advantages in using master for releases:

1) All maintainers are participating in the process which means releases
are much less likely to be delayed due to lack of time from a single person.

2) Everyone (contributors) are forced to focus on stability which should
improve the release's quality.

3) Feature development can still happen in maintainers trees.  I think
this is an important step to moving to a merge-window based development
model which I think will be our best way to scale long term.

Obviously, this will only work well if all the maintainers participate
so I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks about this.

[1] http://wiki.qemu.org/Planning/1.0

Regards,

Anthony Liguori