* Changing clock in KVM host may cause VM to hang
@ 2011-08-13  0:10 编码人
       [not found] ` <CAFTsVLT0k-QAGwcdOFHRXBE0bU-7uS-3z=FwT6y7ZhzgRAUQpg@mail.gmail.com>
From: 编码人 @ 2011-08-13  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi,

My KVM guest OS is Windows 7. If I change the clock in KVM host
(Redhat Enterprise Linux 6), Windows may hang --I can't move mouse in
the VNC desktop. (If I only set clock to be several minutes faster,
then there is no problems. If I set it to be one day faster, then the
problem occurs.)

Does anyone know why it happens? How can we solve it? BTW, is there a
good way to synchronize the clock between the host and the guest?

Thanks,
ff

* Re: Changing clock in KVM host may cause VM to hang
       [not found] ` <CAFTsVLT0k-QAGwcdOFHRXBE0bU-7uS-3z=FwT6y7ZhzgRAUQpg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-08-16  7:50   ` 编码人
From: 编码人 @ 2011-08-16  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi,

Does anyone know this issue?

Thanks,
Paul

@ 2011-08-16 10:51     ` lidong chen
From: lidong chen @ 2011-08-16 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 编码人; +Cc: kvm

2011/8/16 编码人 <flypen@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know this issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 8:10 AM, 编码人 <flypen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My KVM guest OS is Windows 7. If I change the clock in KVM host
>> (Redhat Enterprise Linux 6), Windows may hang --I can't move mouse in
>> the VNC desktop. (If I only set clock to be several minutes faster,
>> then there is no problems. If I set it to be one day faster, then the
>> problem occurs.)
>>
>> Does anyone know why it happens? How can we solve it? BTW, is there a
>> good way to synchronize the clock between the host and the guest?

you can run ntp client in guest os to synchronize time with host os.

@ 2011-08-17  2:32       ` 编码人
From: 编码人 @ 2011-08-17  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lidong chen; +Cc: kvm

Hi, Lidong,

Yes, running ntp client in Guest OS can synchronize the time. But if I
change the clock of the host, the Guest OS may immediately have
problems, and the clock perhaps has no chances to synchronize.

Thanks,
Paul

@ 2011-08-17  2:57     ` Xiao Guangrong
From: Xiao Guangrong @ 2011-08-17  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 编码人; +Cc: kvm

On 08/16/2011 03:50 PM, 编码人 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know this issue?

Could you describe your environment more detailed please?
- Your host information (32/64, cpuinfo)
- Your guest information (32/64)

And please enable the trace events of kvm to see what happened when
the guest was hanging:

mount -t debugfs none /debug
echo 1 > /debug/tracing/events/kvm/enable
cat /debug/trace

I'll try to reproduce it.

Thanks!