* [dm-crypt] unlocking dm-crypt from grub - kernel in crypted volume
@ 2011-08-23  9:14 Olivier Sessink
From: Olivier Sessink @ 2011-08-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi all,

There seems to be some support for dm-crypt in grub, such that you can
store the kernel in the encrypted volume, and only have grub
unencrypted. This makes the attack vector a lot smaller, however, it is
unclear to me if there is any development on this subject. For example
passing the password in a safe way from grub to the kernel might be
useful to make such a solution acceptable for end users.

Is there news on this development?

Olivier

* Re: [dm-crypt] unlocking dm-crypt from grub - kernel in crypted volume
@ 2011-08-23 13:05 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2011-08-23 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Quite frankly, I doubt this increses security significantly.

An attacker could just manipulate the grub image and pretend to
do decryption while really loading a compromised kernel.
It would also be possible to patch grub so that it runs a
kernel-patcher after decryption and before starting the kernel.

I think both options are not really more difficult than
patching a not encrypted kernel.

The bottom line is still that if an attacker has access and
then you continue to use your computer, you are screwed.
Disk encryption only protects you if you know that the
attacker had access, e.g. when your laptop is stolen. If
you do not realize an attacker had access, anything is
possible.

Arno

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:14:06AM +0200, Olivier Sessink wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There seems to be some support for dm-crypt in grub, such that you
> can store the kernel in the encrypted volume, and only have grub
> unencrypted. This makes the attack vector a lot smaller, however, it
> is unclear to me if there is any development on this subject. For
> example passing the password in a safe way from grub to the kernel
> might be useful to make such a solution acceptable for end users.
>
> Is there news on this development?
>
> Olivier

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: [dm-crypt] unlocking dm-crypt from grub - kernel in crypted volume
@ 2011-08-23 20:52   ` Olivier Sessink
From: Olivier Sessink @ 2011-08-23 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On 08/23/2011 03:05 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:

> Quite frankly, I doubt this increses security significantly.
>
> An attacker could just manipulate the grub image and pretend to
> do decryption while really loading a compromised kernel.
> It would also be possible to patch grub so that it runs a
> kernel-patcher after decryption and before starting the kernel.
>
> I think both options are not really more difficult than
> patching a not encrypted kernel.
>
> The bottom line is still that if an attacker has access and
> then you continue to use your computer, you are screwed.
> Disk encryption only protects you if you know that the
> attacker had access, e.g. when your laptop is stolen. If
> you do not realize an attacker had access, anything is
> possible.

from a theoretical point of view I agree with you. However, given that
the attacker does not yet know which kernel is going to be started, has
very limited space for attack code, and has to change something (grub)
that needs to change the next thing (kernel) instead of directly
changing the kernel, it's really more difficult in my opinion. It's
beyond the level of a regular good C programmer I would say, while
changing the kernel is something any good C programmer should be capable
of.

Given that this is the most common setup (kernel in unencrypted /boot
and the rest of the OS in dm-crypt volume) I think it would be
worthwhile to make this setup work in a smooth way (but I can understand
it is a lot of work and people don't have the time to do it).

@ 2011-08-24  7:51   ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2011-08-24  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On 08/23/2011 03:05 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:

> Quite frankly, I doubt this increses security significantly.

>> For example passing the password in a safe way from grub to the kernel

IMHO without full implementation of "trusted boot" this will
just add some small amount of work for attacker without
real security increase.
And with "trusted boot" (whatever it means) grub loader integrity
should be verified before you enter passphrase.

In fact, it is just few instruction to add to grub module
to store entered passphrase somewhere on disk, CMOS, flash,
whatever is available for later use by attacker.
(Just another variation to "Evil maid" attack.)

Anyway, LUKS implementation in GRUB2 is completely independent
from upstream, so you can ask on grub devel list - they did not
tried to contact upstream if there is possibility
to share some code, so it contains full LUKS reimplementation
(but it is good for other reasons, though).

For kernel dm-crypt - I really do not want here things
like "encrypted passphrase" or similar concepts.
(Until some certification process forces me:-)

But I would like to add here concept of "passphrase handle"
IOW userspace will just hand over handle (id)
to some other subsystem where the key is stored
(Could be kernel keyring, some token, whatever).

Milan

* Re: [dm-crypt] unlocking dm-crypt from grub - kernel in crypted volume
@ 2011-08-24  7:58     ` Yves-Alexis Perez
From: Yves-Alexis Perez @ 2011-08-24  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On mer., 2011-08-24 at 09:51 +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
> But I would like to add here concept of "passphrase handle"
> IOW userspace will just hand over handle (id)
> to some other subsystem where the key is stored
> (Could be kernel keyring, some token, whatever).

And the kernel recently gained support for TRUSTED_KEYS for storing
stuff sealed in a TPM.

Yves-Alexis