* Wiki seems dead. is openembedded wiki still active?
@ 2011-08-23  9:59 Klausfpga
From: Klausfpga @ 2011-08-23  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi,

After many years I wanted to play with ompenembedded again.

So I wanted to go to the wiki ( http://www.openembedded.org/ ) to get
some info.

The wiki displays:
> MediaWiki internal error.
>

> Exception caught inside exception handler

Am I using the correct url? (it's at least the url also mentioned in
wikipedia)

Is the Wiki just temporarily down and I was just unlucky enough to try
to connect at the wromg time?

What I wanted to find out on the wiki:

- what branch / tag to checkout to have a consitant verison
- what to use as starting point for a minimalist x86 system being able
to run under qemu (x86)
- How to add a gnu toolchain package to my minimalist target system
- what to use as starting point for a minimalist arm11 system being able
to run under qemu (x86)
- what is the recommended way to run bitbake in a 64 bit environment
(psyco is not working). Is pypy an option?
- what are the correct mailing lists for such questions

Thanks in advance for  your answers

* Re: Wiki seems dead. is openembedded wiki still active?
@ 2011-08-23 16:25 ` Paul Eggleton
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2011-08-23 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tuesday 23 August 2011 10:59:42 Klausfpga wrote:
> Am I using the correct url? (it's at least the url also mentioned in
> wikipedia)
>
> Is the Wiki just temporarily down and I was just unlucky enough to try
> to connect at the wromg time?

Yes that's the correct link, although the website is temporarily down; the
appropriate people have apparently been informed and hopefully can fix it soon.

However the website/wiki can still be accessed under
http://wiki.openembedded.org.

> What I wanted to find out on the wiki:
>
> - what branch / tag to checkout to have a consitant verison

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

FYI OE is in the middle of a transition of sorts; we're moving to a more
modular metadata structure based around a smaller common core (OE-Core). For
more information please see this page:

  http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/OpenEmbedded-Core

For new development work we would strongly recommend OE-core as a base,
allowing you greater flexibility as well as avoiding some legacy cruft.

> - what to use as starting point for a minimalist x86 system being able
> to run under qemu (x86)

"Minimalist" is somewhat subjective. OE-core alone provides a "qemux86"
machine target, a distro-less basic configuration and a "core-image-minimal"
image that provides a basic console-only system without package management.

> - How to add a gnu toolchain package to my minimalist target system

I think this is a case of adding "tools-sdk" to your IMAGE_FEATURES; someone
else might be able to offer more help here.

> - what to use as starting point for a minimalist arm11 system being able
> to run under qemu (x86)

Same as above except use "qemuarm" as the machine.

> - what is the recommended way to run bitbake in a 64 bit environment
> (psyco is not working). Is pypy an option?

There's no specific recommended way; the psyco warning was just a warning and
in any case if you're using a recent version of BitBake (as you need to for
OE-core) then Psyco support has been removed and you won't get the warning.

> - what are the correct mailing lists for such questions

For OE-classic discussion as well as layers above OE-core, use the
openembedded-devel mailing list. For OE-core use this list (openembedded-
core). I suspect the openembedded-core list will merge into openembedded-devel
at some point in the near future.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Wiki seems dead. is openembedded wiki still active?
@ 2011-08-23 16:55   ` Paul Eggleton
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2011-08-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On Tuesday 23 August 2011 17:25:13 Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Yes that's the correct link, although the website is temporarily down; the
> appropriate people have apparently been informed and hopefully can fix it
> soon.

FYI www.openembedded.org is now fixed.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2011-08-23 21:20   ` Klausfpga
From: Klausfpga @ 2011-08-23 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your detailed answer.

On 08/23/2011 06:25 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Yes that's the correct link, although the website is temporarily down;
> the
> appropriate people have apparently been informed and hopefully can fix it soon.
> Ok so just bad timing :-(
>
> However the website/wiki can still be accessed under
> http://wiki.openembedded.org.
>
>> What I wanted to find out on the wiki:
>>
>> - what branch / tag to checkout to have a consitant verison
>> I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

What I wanted to know was what to checkout best:
 origin/master/  might not be a good idea, at least last time I tried
this I often
fell into inconsistent  releases

 origin/stable/2009 on the other hand had it's latest change in July 2010

>> FYI OE is in the middle of a transition of sorts; we're moving to a more
>> modular metadata structure based around a smaller common core (OE-Core). For
>> more information please see this page:
>>
>>   http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/OpenEmbedded-Core

This looks interesting. Thanks for this info. I will read more on the wiki.
>> - what to use as starting point for a minimalist x86 system being able
>> to run under qemu (x86)
> "Minimalist" is somewhat subjective. OE-core alone provides a "qemux86"
> machine target, a distro-less basic configuration and a "core-image-minimal"
> image that provides a basic console-only system without package management.

Well with minimalist I meant kernel + base file system + busybox +
package management

I will look at qemux86 and core-image-minimal

>> - How to add a gnu toolchain package to my minimalist target system
> I think this is a case of adding "tools-sdk" to your IMAGE_FEATURES; someone
> else might be able to offer more help here.
>
>> - what to use as starting point for a minimalist arm11 system being able
>> to run under qemu (x86)
> Same as above except use "qemuarm" as the machine.
>
>> - what is the recommended way to run bitbake in a 64 bit environment
>> (psyco is not working). Is pypy an option?
> There's no specific recommended way; the psyco warning was just a warning and
> in any case if you're using a recent version of BitBake (as you need to for
> OE-core) then Psyco support has been removed and you won't get the warning.

What I meant here is: Can pypy or somethign else be used in order to
accelerate the
execution of BitBake.

>> - what are the correct mailing lists for such questions
> For OE-classic discussion as well as layers above OE-core, use the
> openembedded-devel mailing list. For OE-core use this list (openembedded-
> core). I suspect the openembedded-core list will merge into openembedded-devel
> at some point in the near future.

Thanks ance more

* Re: Wiki seems dead. is openembedded wiki still active?
@ 2011-08-23 21:50     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2011-08-23 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klausfpga; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Tuesday 23 August 2011 22:20:55 Klausfpga wrote:
> What I wanted to know was what to checkout best:
>  origin/master/  might not be a good idea, at least last time I tried
> this I often fell into inconsistent  releases

If you mean the "openembedded" repository, there is the 2011.03-maintenance
branch; however this is not the basis for future development. With the Yocto
Project release coming up soon, OE-core should be fairly stable (or at least
heading that way).

> Well with minimalist I meant kernel + base file system + busybox +
> package management

Busybox is used by default and the rest is of course mandatory. I'm not
entirely sure we have an image in OE-core that is just console with package
management though; we really ought to sort that out if that's the case. Even
so this is trivial to add, you just need "package-management" in the
IMAGE_FEATURES for your image.

> What I meant here is: Can pypy or somethign else be used in order to
> accelerate the execution of BitBake.

Not sure; I'm under the impression that Psyco made only a very small difference
however. Most of the time taken running BitBake is in the tasks it runs (and
the order it runs them); no generic Python tool is going to be able to improve
that.

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org

--

@ 2011-08-24  9:02   ` Martyn Welch
From: Martyn Welch @ 2011-08-24  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 23/08/11 17:25, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 August 2011 10:59:42 Klausfpga wrote:
> FYI OE is in the middle of a transition of sorts; we're moving to a more
> modular metadata structure based around a smaller common core (OE-Core). For
> more information please see this page:
>
>   http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/OpenEmbedded-Core

The link to the Layer Index is broken on that page. I'd correct it, but that
page is locked down to be only editable by admin.

--
Martyn Welch (Principal Software Engineer) | Registered in England and
GE Intelligent Platforms                   | Wales (3828642) at 100

* Re: Wiki seems dead. is openembedded wiki still active?
@ 2011-08-24 11:01     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2011-08-24 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Wednesday 24 August 2011 10:02:37 Martyn Welch wrote:
> On 23/08/11 17:25, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 August 2011 10:59:42 Klausfpga wrote:
> > FYI OE is in the middle of a transition of sorts; we're moving to a more
> > modular metadata structure based around a smaller common core (OE-Core).
> > For
> >
> > more information please see this page:
> >   http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/OpenEmbedded-Core
>
> The link to the Layer Index is broken on that page. I'd correct it, but
> that page is locked down to be only editable by admin.

The link in the markup is fine, it seems to be some kind of server issue in how
the real URL gets generated. Now that www.openembedded.org is back up you can
just use that and it will work fine:

http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded-Core

Thanks for reporting this, I'll have a word with Tom K. and see if he can fix
it so nobody else stumbles across this issue.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Wiki seems dead. is openembedded wiki still active?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-08-28 19:05   ` Leandro Dorileo
From: Leandro Dorileo @ 2011-08-28 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 05:25:13PM +0100, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 August 2011 10:59:42 Klausfpga wrote:
> > Am I using the correct url? (it's at least the url also mentioned in
> > wikipedia)
> >
> > Is the Wiki just temporarily down and I was just unlucky enough to try
> > to connect at the wromg time?
>
> Yes that's the correct link, although the website is temporarily down; the
> appropriate people have apparently been informed and hopefully can fix it soon.
>
> However the website/wiki can still be accessed under
> http://wiki.openembedded.org.
>
> > What I wanted to find out on the wiki:
> >
> > - what branch / tag to checkout to have a consitant verison
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.
>
> FYI OE is in the middle of a transition of sorts; we're moving to a more
> modular metadata structure based around a smaller common core (OE-Core). For
> more information please see this page:

The wiki frontpage could be updated stating the current OE status at least
stating the transition, I`m a newcomer and took some time trying the wiki howtos.
I just figured out things after I read all the mailing list archives :)

>   http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/OpenEmbedded-Core
>
> For new development work we would strongly recommend OE-core as a base,
> allowing you greater flexibility as well as avoiding some legacy cruft.

This is also important to highlight somewhere, maybe the wiki front page as well.

Regards,

Leandro Dorileo