* Re: xfsrestore Does Only Only Partial Restore
@ 2011-08-29 16:36 Gim Leong Chin
From: Gim Leong Chin @ 2011-08-29 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Kendall; +Cc: xfs

Hi Bill,

Right now the log file is already over 500 MB and growing.  Even after compression I do not think I can mail it as an attachment.

Is there any other way that I can send you the log files?

GL

From: Bill Kendall @ 2011-08-29 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gim Leong Chin; +Cc: xfs

Gim Leong Chin wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Right now the log file is already over 500 MB and growing.  Even after compression I do not think I can mail it as an attachment.
>
> Is there any other way that I can send you the log files?

If you could just send the last few thousand lines that should be sufficient.
If I do end up needing more than that I can provide an ftp drop for you.

Thanks,
Bill

@ 2011-08-30  4:07 ` Bill Kendall
From: Bill Kendall @ 2011-08-30  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gim Leong Chin; +Cc: xfs

Gim Leong Chin wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I have attached the xfsrestore version 3.0.1 last 20k log of my last dump file.  I will be doing with version 3.0.5 of all three of my dumps (all three are bad, I got 32 GB, 44 GB and 49 GB back).
>
> Please let me know if this is useful.
>
> Thank you.

Looks like the corrupt portion of the dump caused xfsdump to think it
needed to read a ton of data before it could move on. So it was
reading 256 KiB at a time until it hit the end of the file. I'll
probably need the last 1 million lines or so in order to see what
happened before it got into this state.

Thanks,
Bill

@ 2011-08-30  3:06 Gim Leong Chin
From: Gim Leong Chin @ 2011-08-30  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Kendall; +Cc: xfs

Hi Bill,

I have attached the xfsrestore version 3.0.1 last 20k log of my last dump file.  I will be doing with version 3.0.5 of all three of my dumps (all three are bad, I got 32 GB, 44 GB and 49 GB back).

Please let me know if this is useful.

Thank you.

GL

> > Right now the log file is already over 500 MB and
> growing.  Even after compression I do not think I can
> mail it as an attachment.
> >
> > Is there any other way that I can send you the log
> files?
>
> If you could just send the last few thousand lines that
> should be sufficient.
> If I do end up needing more than that I can provide an ftp
> drop for you.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>

> > GL
> >
> > --- On Mon, 29/8/11, Bill Kendall <wkendall@sgi.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Bill Kendall <wkendall@sgi.com>
> >> Subject: Re: xfsrestore Does Only Only Partial
> Restore
> >> To: "Gim Leong Chin" <chingimleong@yahoo.com.sg>
> >> Cc: xfs@oss.sgi.com
> >> Date: Monday, 29 August, 2011, 10:11 PM

> xfsrestore
> >> of a back up and I hit some serious trouble.
> Acer
> >> notebook.  I did a xfsdump of /home to a WD
> My Passport
> >> external USB hard drive with XFS on it.
> then tried
> >> to do xfsrestore from the WD USB drive.  The
> dump file
> >> is 121 GB.
> each time
> >> the xfsrestore would stop writing at the exact
> same point,
> >> 49 GB and say success at the end.
> on my
> >> desk top, and did a dump to another hard drive,
> >> /tmp/mnt3.  I get back identical messages:

> bytes
> >> failed: end of recorded data
> >>
> >> xfsdump breaks a file's data into "extents" that
> are a max
> >> size of 16 MB.
> >> The fact that this is trying to read almost 1 GB
> here
> >> indicates that
> >> the extend header is corrupt.

> >> restore_extent_group: Assertion `ehdr.eh_type ==
> 4' failed.
> >>
> >> As Dave said, this also indicates a corrupt extent
> header.
> >>
> >> I'd recommend adding "-v 5" to your xfsrestore
> command line
> >> and redirecting the
> >> (very verbose) output to a file, and send that
> compressed
> >> output to me or the
> >> list. It'd be best to do this with more than one
> of your
> >> dumps so we can see
> >> if there's a pattern to where the corruption
> occurs.
> >>
> >> Bill

[-- Attachment #2: xfsrestore3.0.1v5_rat18Aug2011_tail20k.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 56538 bytes --]

* Re: xfsrestore Does Only Only Partial Restore
@ 2011-08-29 14:11 ` Bill Kendall
From: Bill Kendall @ 2011-08-29 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gim Leong Chin; +Cc: xfs

@ 2011-08-29  5:47   ` Gim Leong Chin
From: Gim Leong Chin @ 2011-08-29  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: xfs

Hi,

I just tried the 26 Aug 2011 commited version of xfsrestore from xfsdump, I got the same message:

xfsrestore: content.c:7510: restore_extent_group: Assertion `ehdr.eh_type == 4' failed.
Aborted

It is interesting that two different back-ups are corrupt after around 44 to 49 GB, more than half of the back-ups!

I did not look at /var/log/messages or dmesg while doing the back-ups.  I only saw that the xfsdump session was successful.

GL

@ 2011-08-29  5:00 ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2011-08-29  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gim Leong Chin; +Cc: xfs

@ 2011-08-29  3:53   ` Gim Leong Chin
From: Gim Leong Chin @ 2011-08-29  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Thinking that it might be a xfsdump version incompatibility, I dug out the openSUSE 11.1 installation DVD, got the xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59 rpm and extracted the xfsdump and xfsrestore from it.  I then attempted a restore using it, but I still have only 49 GB of 121 GB extracted:

chingl@optimus:~> df -h
  rootfs                101G   41G   60G  41% /
  devtmpfs              998M  484K  997M   1% /dev
  tmpfs                1004M  1.1M 1003M   1% /dev/shm
  /dev/sda2             101G   41G   60G  41% /
  /dev/sda3             824G  697G  127G  85% /home
  /dev/sdb2              70G  5.8G   65G   9% /tmp/mnt2
  /dev/sr0              4.4G  4.4G     0 100% /media/SU1110.001
  /dev/sdb3             830G   49G  781G   6% /tmp/mnt3
  chingl@optimus:~>
  chingl@optimus:~> df
  rootfs               104878048  42055420  62822628  41% /
  devtmpfs               1021032       484   1020548   1% /dev
  tmpfs                  1027960      1060   1026900   1% /dev/shm
  /dev/sda2            104878048  42055420  62822628  41% /
  /dev/sda3            863017248 730332548 132684700  85% /home
  /dev/sdb2             73363456   6071484  67291972   9% /tmp/mnt2
  /dev/sr0               4549218   4549218         0 100% /media/SU1110.001
  /dev/sdb3            869382652  50566648 818816004   6% /tmp/mnt3
  chingl@optimus:~>
{>
(>optimus:/home/chingl/archive/rat # /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore -f ./rat18Aug2011 /tmp/mnt3
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: using file dump (drive_simple) strategy
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: version 2.2.48 (dump format 3.0) - Running single-threaded
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: searching media for dump
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: examining media file 0
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: dump description:
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: hostname: rat
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: mount point: /home
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: volume: /dev/sdb3
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: session time: Thu Aug 18 12:57:36 2011
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: level: 0
6>/home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: session label: "rat_18Aug2011"
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: media label: "rat18Aug2011"
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: file system id: f3b08587-cf98-4b7b-99b0-dc9d4e77b631
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: session id: d8069cd0-a092-4fb2-b378-0eda33474aae
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: media id: 96370000-6e2c-40eb-9c3c-93ca42de7524
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: searching media for directory dump
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: reading directories
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: 90820 directories and 539579 entries processed
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: directory post-processing
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files
4>/home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: attempt to read 1008286921 bytes failed: end of recorded data
1>/home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: user quota information written to '/tmp/mnt3/xfsdump_quotas'
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: group quota information written to '/tmp/mnt3/xfsdump_quotas_group'
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: use 'xfs_quota' to restore quotas
8>/home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: restore complete: 2546 seconds elapsed
  /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-2.2.48-1.59/sbin/xfsrestore: Restore Status: SUCCESS
0>optimus:/home/chingl/archive/rat #

Is this a case of xfsdump bug that causes null data to be written, or xfsrestore bug that is unable to read back the data?

Thanks!

GL

From: Gim Leong Chin @ 2011-08-28 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hi,

I just tried an older back up to test, and the restore is again partial, looks like I am screwed, only 44 GB of 113 GB got restored:

optimus:/mnt/rat # ll
total 345143448
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root         1085 Sep 19  2010 fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 103295383456 Jul 10 04:02 rat10July2011
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129677563808 Aug 18 14:41 rat18Aug2011
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 120453920672 Jul 31 02:06 rat30July2011
optimus:/mnt/rat # xfsrestore -f ./rat30July2011  /tmp/mnt3
xfsrestore: using file dump (drive_simple) strategy
xfsrestore: version 3.0.1 (dump format 3.0) - Running single-threaded
xfsrestore: searching media for dump
xfsrestore: examining media file 0
xfsrestore: dump description:
xfsrestore: hostname: rat
[...]
optimus:/mnt/rat # df -h
> [...]

>   /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-3.0.5/restore/xfsrestore:
> directory post-processing
>   /home/chingl/XFS/xfsdump-3.0.5/restore/xfsrestore:
> restoring non-directory files
>   xfsrestore: content.c:7510: restore_extent_group:
> Assertion `ehdr.eh_type == 4' failed.
> (>Aborted
> 2>optimus:/home/chingl/archive/rat #
>

> Could some one please assist to enlighten me what is going
> on, why does the restoration fail?  The xfsdump session
> looked OK.
>
> Is there any way I can extract back my /home back up?
> This is my only back up copy.  i have two other xfsdump
> dump files taken earlier, I have not tried those.
>
> Is xfsdump and xfsrestore really robust for dump to regular
> file, or should I have done a tar instead?
>
> Thank you.
>
> GL

* xfsrestore Does Only Only Partial Restore
@ 2011-08-28 12:31 Gim Leong Chin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gim Leong Chin @ 2011-08-28 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

[...]

  /dev/sda2            104878048  42063828  62814220  41% /
[...]
7>xfsrestore: group quota information written to '/tmp/mnt3/xfsdump_quotas_group'