* sendmmsg(2)
@ 2011-09-05 13:39 Stephan Mueller
       [not found] ` <4E64D0F9.9050509-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2011-09-05 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

please find a new man page for the sendmmsg(2) system call added with
3.0. It is derived from the recvmmsg(2) man page.

--
Ciao
Stephan

[-- Attachment #2: sendmmsg.2.gz --]
[-- Type: application/gzip, Size: 851 bytes --]

* Re: sendmmsg(2)
       [not found] ` <4E64D0F9.9050509-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-09 21:03   ` Michael Kerrisk
       [not found]     ` <CAKgNAkhZ2uVSMZx9ofhs-r+A2Cam06R7Hb8yQo5RS4g5G2bX6A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk @ 2011-09-09 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Mueller; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hello Stephan

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Stephan Mueller
<stephan.mueller-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please find a new man page for the sendmmsg(2) system call added with
> 3.0. It is derived from the recvmmsg(2) man page.

What copyright and license do you want for this page. See
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/licenses.html.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
Author of "The Linux Programming Interface"; http://man7.org/tlpi/

* Re: sendmmsg(2)
       [not found]     ` <CAKgNAkhZ2uVSMZx9ofhs-r+A2Cam06R7Hb8yQo5RS4g5G2bX6A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-09 21:31       ` Stephan Mueller
       [not found]         ` <4E6A85C3.4080409-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2011-09-09 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 09.09.2011 23:03:07, +0200, Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

Hi Michael,

> Hello Stephan
>
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Stephan Mueller
> <stephan.mueller-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> please find a new man page for the sendmmsg(2) system call added with
>> 3.0. It is derived from the recvmmsg(2) man page.
>
> What copyright and license do you want for this page. See
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/licenses.html.

The same as for recvmmsg as I copied some verbiage out of this man page.
Therefore I cannot claim that it is solely my work.

--
Ciao
Stephan

* Re: sendmmsg(2)
       [not found]         ` <4E6A85C3.4080409-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-09 21:45           ` Michael Kerrisk
       [not found]             ` <CAKgNAki7oP-FLS7=J-J0Z+bgWyqNd3g=9OsDMG1GfY3AcPq4Ww-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Kerrisk @ 2011-09-09 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Mueller; +Cc: linux-man, Andi Kleen

Hi Stephan,

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Stephan Mueller
<stephan.mueller-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 09.09.2011 23:03:07, +0200, Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
>> Hello Stephan
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Stephan Mueller
>> <stephan.mueller-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> please find a new man page for the sendmmsg(2) system call added with
>>> 3.0. It is derived from the recvmmsg(2) man page.
>>
>> What copyright and license do you want for this page. See
>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/licenses.html.
>
> The same as for recvmmsg as I copied some verbiage out of this man page.
> Therefore I cannot claim that it is solely my work.

The problem is that that page does not have a license either...

Cheers,

Michael

--

@ 2011-09-09 21:56               ` Stephan Mueller
       [not found]                 ` <4E6A8B9E.4080707-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2011-09-09 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man, Andi Kleen

On 09.09.2011 23:45:27, +0200, Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
wrote:

Hi Michael,

> Hi Stephan,
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Stephan Mueller
> <stephan.mueller-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On 09.09.2011 23:03:07, +0200, Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>>> Hello Stephan

>>> What copyright and license do you want for this page. See
>>> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/licenses.html.
>>
>> The same as for recvmmsg as I copied some verbiage out of this man page.
>> Therefore I cannot claim that it is solely my work.
>
> The problem is that that page does not have a license either...

Let us take the BSD license.

Thank you very much.
--
Ciao
Stephan

* Re: sendmmsg(2)
       [not found]                 ` <4E6A8B9E.4080707-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-12 18:47                   ` Stephan Mueller
       [not found]                     ` <4E6E53C4.1010601-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2011-09-12 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: linux-man, Andi Kleen

On 09.09.2011 23:56:46, +0200, Stephan Mueller
<stephan.mueller-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Hi,

> Let us take the BSD license.
>
> Thank you very much.

Please find the updated man page attached. Unfortunately, I am not sure
which version you want to have these files, I now appended the unzipped
file as the tarball you distribute contains the unzipped files as well.

--
Ciao
Stephan

[-- Attachment #2: sendmmsg.2 --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3390 bytes --]

.\" Copyright (c) 2011, Stephan Mueller <smueller-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
.\" All rights reserved.
.\"
.\" Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
.\" modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
.\" are met:
.\" * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
.\"   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
.\" * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
.\"   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
.\"   the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
.\"   distribution.
.\" * Neither the name of the atsec information security corp.
.\"   nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or
.\"   promote products derived from this software without specific prior
.\"   written permission.
.\"
.\" THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY atsec information security corp.
.\" ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
.\" LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
.\" FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
.\" IN NO EVENT SHALL THE <copyright-holder>
.\" BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY,
.\" OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT
.\" OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
.\" OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
.\" LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
.\" NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
.\" SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
.\"
.\" Parts of this man page are derived from recvmmsg(2).
.TH SENDMMSG 2 2010-11-23 "Linux" "Linux Programmer's Manual"
.SH NAME
sendmmsg \- send multiple messages on a socket
.SH SYNOPSIS
.BI "#include <sys/socket.h>"
.br
.BI "int sendmmsg(int " fd ", struct mmsghdr *" mmsghdr \
", unsigned int " vlen ","
.br
.BI "             unsigned int " flags ");"
.SH DESCRIPTION
The
.B sendmmsg
system call transmits multiple messages to another socket.
It acts similar to
.B sendmsg(2),
but allows to batch multiple receive operations into a single syscall.

.B fd
is the file descriptor of the socket data is transmitted through.
.B mmsghdr
is a pointer to an array with length
.B vlen
of
.I mmsghdr
structures.
.I struct mmsg
is defined in
.I sys/socket.h
as:
.in +4n
.nf
struct mmsghdr {
    struct msghdr msg_hdr;  /* Message header */
    unsigned int  msg_len;
};
.fi
.in
.PP
.B msg_hdr
is a struct
.I msghdr
as described in
.I sendmsg(2).
.B msg_len
is the number of bytes send for the message in the entry.
This field has the same value as the return value of a single
.I sendmsg(2)
on the header.

.B flags
contains flags ored together. The flags are the same
as documented for
.I sendmsg(2).
.SH RETURN VALUE
.I sendmmsg
returns the number of messages sent in
.I mmsghdr
or
-1
when an error occurs. The
.I msg_len
members of
.I mmsghdr
are updated for each sent message,
in addition to other fields in the msg_hdr for each message,
as described in
.I sendmsg(2).
.SH SEE ALSO
.B recvmsg(2),
.B recvmmsg(2),
.B sendmsg(2),
.B socket(7),
.B socket(2),
.B clock_gettime(2)
.SH VERSIONS
The
.I sendmmsg
syscall was added with kernel 3.0.
On earlier glibcs the function can be called
manually using
.I syscall(2).

* Re: sendmmsg(2)
       [not found]                     ` <4E6E53C4.1010601-fwYZOkdEjagAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>