* memory leak bug? when do write with verify
       [not found] <CADson1wk9astwdroeAtPXb4A3+yrAcDcCXaEPvEGJPhM4TBfqQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-09-14  9:53 ` Zhang Taile
From: Zhang Taile @ 2011-09-14  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

HI
When I do RandWrite with verify, fio will use a lot of memory. The fio
will increase memory about 10MB in every second. And, the system will
become very slow, after fio start to use swap partition.

For example,� if use fio with following configuration,
[rand-write]
rw=randwrite
numjobs=32
loops=10
thread=1
filename=/dev/sdb
verify=md5
verify_interval=4k

after� minutes, top will Like this :
�PID USER����� PR� NI� VIRT� RES� SHR S %CPU %MEM��� TIME+� COMMAND
�3749 root����� 15�� 0 2672m 1.5g 304m S 169.4 40.4�� 4:10.04 fio

If remove the verify from the configuration, there will be no the
memory problem.

I guess it is a memory leak problem?

Thanks!
--
Taile

* Re: memory leak bug? when do write with verify
@ 2011-09-14  9:56   ` Jiri Horky
From: Jiri Horky @ 2011-09-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Taile; +Cc: fio

this sounds like the problem addressed by this thread [1]. Have you
tried to use the latest (trunk) version that includes the mentioned patch?

Jiri Horky

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/fio/msg00843.html

@ 2011-09-14 13:13     ` Zhang Taile
From: Zhang Taile @ 2011-09-14 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Horky; +Cc: fio

Hi,
Seems not same bug. I have tested latest (trunk), still has the memory
leak issue.

Taile

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Jiri Horky <jiri.horky@cesnet.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this sounds like the problem addressed by this thread [1]. Have you tried to
> use the latest (trunk) version that includes the mentioned patch?
>
> Jiri Horky
>
> [1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/fio/msg00843.html
>
> On 09/14/2011 11:53 AM, Zhang Taile wrote:
>>
>> HI
>> When I do RandWrite with verify, fio will use a lot of memory. The fio
>> will increase memory about 10MB in every second. And, the system will
>> become very slow, after fio start to use swap partition.
>>
>> For example,  if use fio with following configuration,
>> [rand-write]
>> rw=randwrite
>> numjobs=32
>> loops=10
>> thread=1
>> filename=/dev/sdb
>> verify=md5
>> verify_interval=4k
>>
>> after  minutes, top will Like this :
>>  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>>  3749 root      15   0 2672m 1.5g 304m S 169.4 40.4   4:10.04 fio
>>

>> If remove the verify from the configuration, there will be no the
>> memory problem.
>>
>> I guess it is a memory leak problem?
>>

>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Taile
>> --

Zhang, Taile  张泰乐
zhangtl@gmail.com
MP:18611745290
msn:zhangtaile@hotmail.com
skype: zhangtaile

* Re: memory leak bug? when do write with verify
@ 2011-09-14 17:39   ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2011-09-14 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Taile; +Cc: fio

On 2011-09-14 11:53, Zhang Taile wrote:
> HI
> When I do RandWrite with verify, fio will use a lot of memory. The fio
> will increase memory about 10MB in every second. And, the system will
> become very slow, after fio start to use swap partition.
>
> For example,  if use fio with following configuration,
> [rand-write]
> rw=randwrite
> numjobs=32
> loops=10
> thread=1
> filename=/dev/sdb
> verify=md5
> verify_interval=4k
>
> after  minutes, top will Like this :
>  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  3749 root      15   0 2672m 1.5g 304m S 169.4 40.4   4:10.04 fio
>

> If remove the verify from the configuration, there will be no the
> memory problem.
>
> I guess it is a memory leak problem?

It's probably not a leak, fio will use a lot of memory for your job
file. Each job will maintain a full backlog of meta data for blocks
written, so it can safely verify it. And you have 32 jobs, so it'll be a
lot of memory.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: memory leak bug? when do write with verify
@ 2011-09-15  2:49     ` Zhang Taile
From: Zhang Taile @ 2011-09-15  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: fio

Hi ,
Understand now.
One more question, what backlog for?  Why read only with verify do not need it?

Thanks!

--
Zhang, Taile  张泰乐
zhangtl@gmail.com

* Re: memory leak bug? when do write with verify
@ 2011-09-15  7:24       ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2011-09-15  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Taile; +Cc: fio

On 2011-09-15 04:49, Zhang Taile wrote:
> Hi ,
> Understand now.
> One more question, what backlog for?  Why read only with verify do not
> need it?

It's not strictly necessary for most cases. For random writes, we can
verify faster by doing it in disk order instead of in write order. If
you are using trim to discard parts of the ranges, then we need those
appropriately marked in memory.

But we can/could relax it a bit and save the memory. I don't think I've
had this complaint before, I guess people generally have plenty of RAM
these days :-)

--
Jens Axboe