* FT for XCP
@ 2011-09-25 20:11 R J
       [not found] ` <CAO14VsP9by7CYgSiVN-hY0rJpDk0MYjuJ+FD5Tp3i8w+BcNYHw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: R J @ 2011-09-25 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-api-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-users-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR

Hello List,

I have a proposal and wont mind to implement my self but need a helping hand
to start on.
I want to implement the aggressive FT feature in XCP. The best way I could
imagine is the use of feature *Live Migration*

Steps
1. Enable the FT of a particular VM using xe commands and adding as a param
to that VM e.g. xe vm-param-set FT=true uuid=XYZ
2. If the FT = true detected by xenstore then xapi will initiate a live
migrate of that VM to any of available host.
3. A parallel "network ping"/"xapi heartbit" from/to that host could be
initialized for each FT VM.
4. Live migrate will run forever until its disabled by FT = false or one of
the host is down. e.g. the process will loop at 99.99% migration state
5. If there is a packet drop of x packets the VM Migrate procedure will mark
the VM Migration as Complete and will switch the devices forcefully.
-- this could result in some data loss but I dont have any alternative to
this.
-- The specific x packets can be set by XCP but we cant rely for default XCP
Errors
6. If there is a successful migration due to host down then we will again
start from step2

Above steps I have assumed to my knowledge, we can discuss the problems in
it.

Apologies if I'm being too naive.

Regards,
Rushikesh

* Re: FT for XCP
       [not found] ` <CAO14VsP9by7CYgSiVN-hY0rJpDk0MYjuJ+FD5Tp3i8w+BcNYHw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-26  7:08   ` Mike McClurg
       [not found]     ` <4E8024E5.9020406-Sxgqhf6Nn4DQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: Mike McClurg @ 2011-09-26  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R J
  Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-users-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-api-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR

On 09/25/2011 09:11 PM, R J wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have a proposal and wont mind to implement my self but need a
> helping hand to start on.
> I want to implement the aggressive FT feature in XCP. The best way I
> could imagine is the use of feature *Live Migration*
>
> Steps
> 1. Enable the FT of a particular VM using xe commands and adding as a
> param to that VM e.g. xe vm-param-set FT=true uuid=XYZ
> 2. If the FT = true detected by xenstore then xapi will initiate a
> live migrate of that VM to any of available host.
> 3. A parallel "network ping"/"xapi heartbit" from/to that host could
> be initialized for each FT VM.
> 4. Live migrate will run forever until its disabled by FT = false or
> one of the host is down. e.g. the process will loop at 99.99%
> migration state
> 5. If there is a packet drop of x packets the VM Migrate procedure
> will mark the VM Migration as Complete and will switch the devices
> forcefully.
> -- this could result in some data loss but I dont have any alternative
> to this.
> -- The specific x packets can be set by XCP but we cant rely for
> default XCP Errors
> 6. If there is a successful migration due to host down then we will
> again start from step2
>
> Above steps I have assumed to my knowledge, we can discuss the
> problems in it.
>
> Apologies if I'm being too naive.
>
> Regards,
> Rushikesh

This sounds like Remus (http://nss.cs.ubc.ca/remus/). Are you proposing
to implement Remus support in xapi?

Mike

* Re: FT for XCP
       [not found]     ` <4E8024E5.9020406-Sxgqhf6Nn4DQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-26 15:58       ` R J
From: R J @ 2011-09-26 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike McClurg
  Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-users-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-api-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR

Hello Mike,

Thank you for suggestion. I would love to incorporate remus in xapi if thats
possible.
Remus as its inbuilt logic of detecting checkpoint failure and taking
decisions accordingly.

I think there is remus support for xen 3.4

What do you suggest as my next step ?

Regards,
Rushikesh

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg-Sxgqhf6Nn4DQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>wrote:

>  On 09/25/2011 09:11 PM, R J wrote:
>
> Hello List,
>
> I have a proposal and wont mind to implement my self but need a helping
> hand to start on.
> I want to implement the aggressive FT feature in XCP. The best way I could
> imagine is the use of feature *Live Migration*
>
> Steps
> 1. Enable the FT of a particular VM using xe commands and adding as a param
> to that VM e.g. xe vm-param-set FT=true uuid=XYZ
> 2. If the FT = true detected by xenstore then xapi will initiate a live
> migrate of that VM to any of available host.
> 3. A parallel "network ping"/"xapi heartbit" from/to that host could be
> initialized for each FT VM.
> 4. Live migrate will run forever until its disabled by FT = false or one of
> the host is down. e.g. the process will loop at 99.99% migration state
> 5. If there is a packet drop of x packets the VM Migrate procedure will
> mark the VM Migration as Complete and will switch the devices forcefully.
> -- this could result in some data loss but I dont have any alternative to
> this.
> -- The specific x packets can be set by XCP but we cant rely for default
> XCP Errors
> 6. If there is a successful migration due to host down then we will again
> start from step2
>
> Above steps I have assumed to my knowledge, we can discuss the problems in
> it.
>
> Apologies if I'm being too naive.
>
> Regards,
> Rushikesh
>
>  This sounds like Remus (http://nss.cs.ubc.ca/remus/). Are you proposing
> to implement Remus support in xapi?
>
> Mike

* Re: Re: [Xen-API] FT for XCP
@ 2011-09-28 16:08         ` Shriram Rajagopalan
       [not found]           ` <CAP8mzPOOkZ2iUzKkMCC7T+TExPL6osoANQnw1tUREeE=Jx-_BQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Shriram Rajagopalan @ 2011-09-28 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R J; +Cc: Mike McClurg, xen-devel, xen-users, xen-api

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:58 AM, R J <torushikeshj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Thank you for suggestion. I would love to incorporate remus in xapi if
> thats possible.

Great. That would be certainly welcome. [I am not a fan of ocaml ;)]

Remus as its inbuilt logic of detecting checkpoint failure and taking
> decisions accordingly.
>
> I think there is remus support for xen 3.4

What matters is the toolstack.
a. I am not sure if the xe toolstack uses libxenguest (tools/libxc) and
 if it does, then it should have the basic remus support already.

b. I am also not sure if it is recent enough to include all the remus bug
fixes that went in over the last 6 months.

What do you suggest as my next step ?

Most of the remus code is python based and completely self contained. It
just needs
the domU's info (disk paths & vifs) as an s-expression. There is only one
api call to
Xend- to obtain the domU's s-expression.

1. A quick and dirty way would be to change this single api call to xapi
equivalent
and obtain the s-expression, then you should have Remus running.

2. Another approach would be to re-write the toolstack code in ocaml - which
might
be easy. But make sure that ocaml can make netlink api calls.

shriram

> Regards,
> Rushikesh
>

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@citrix.com>wrote:
>
>>  On 09/25/2011 09:11 PM, R J wrote:
>>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I have a proposal and wont mind to implement my self but need a helping
>> hand to start on.
>> I want to implement the aggressive FT feature in XCP. The best way I could
>> imagine is the use of feature *Live Migration*
>>
>> Steps
>> 1. Enable the FT of a particular VM using xe commands and adding as a
>> param to that VM e.g. xe vm-param-set FT=true uuid=XYZ
>> 2. If the FT = true detected by xenstore then xapi will initiate a live
>> migrate of that VM to any of available host.
>> 3. A parallel "network ping"/"xapi heartbit" from/to that host could be
>> initialized for each FT VM.
>> 4. Live migrate will run forever until its disabled by FT = false or one
>> of the host is down. e.g. the process will loop at 99.99% migration state
>> 5. If there is a packet drop of x packets the VM Migrate procedure will
>> mark the VM Migration as Complete and will switch the devices forcefully.
>> -- this could result in some data loss but I dont have any alternative to
>> this.
>> -- The specific x packets can be set by XCP but we cant rely for default
>> XCP Errors
>> 6. If there is a successful migration due to host down then we will again
>> start from step2
>>
>> Above steps I have assumed to my knowledge, we can discuss the problems in
>> it.
>>
>> Apologies if I'm being too naive.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rushikesh
>>
>>  This sounds like Remus (http://nss.cs.ubc.ca/remus/). Are you proposing
>> to implement Remus support in xapi?
>>
>> Mike

* Re: [Xen-devel] Re: FT for XCP
       [not found]           ` <CAP8mzPOOkZ2iUzKkMCC7T+TExPL6osoANQnw1tUREeE=Jx-_BQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-10-08 19:46             ` R J
       [not found]               ` <CAO14VsM2GRyCaNU6No06dxyRjSkUmmOjBqm4LMieKXkQmBxtTg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: R J @ 2011-10-08 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rshriram-p4f71khQOEj3fQ9qLvQP4Q
  Cc: xen-devel-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-users-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR,
	xen-api-GuqFBffKawuULHF6PoxzQEEOCMrvLtNR

Thanks Shriram,

I thought of using the native VM migrate code but in that case I may end up
with corruption either in NW, DIsk or Mem.
The remus page is not updated. http://nss.cs.ubc.ca/remus/hg/ I hope this
project is not stopped.

I'm still learning xen-3.4.2/tools path so hopefully I'll get some direction
which can save from corruption.

Regards,
R J

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Shriram Rajagopalan <rshriram-p4f71khQOEj3fQ9qLvQP4Q@public.gmane.org>wrote:

> [...]
>>> migrate of that VM to any of available host.
>>> 3. A parallel "network ping"/"xapi heartbit" from/to that host could be
>>> initialized for each FT VM.
>>> 4. Live migrate will run forever until its disabled by FT = false or one
>>> of the host is down. e.g. the process will loop at 99.99% migration state
>>> 5. If there is a packet drop of x packets the VM Migrate procedure will
>>> mark the VM Migration as Complete and will switch the devices forcefully.
>>> -- this could result in some data loss but I dont have any alternative to
>>> this.
>>> -- The specific x packets can be set by XCP but we cant rely for default
>>> XCP Errors
>>> 6. If there is a successful migration due to host down then we will again
>>> start from step2
>>>
>>> Above steps I have assumed to my knowledge, we can discuss the problems

* Re: [Xen-devel] Re: FT for XCP
@ 2011-10-09 15:10                 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2011-10-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R J
  Cc: rshriram-p4f71khQOEj3fQ9qLvQP4Q,

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 01:16:46AM +0530, R J wrote:
>    Thanks Shriram,
>
>    I thought of using the native VM migrate code but in that case I may end
>    up with corruption either in NW, DIsk or Mem.
>    The remus page is not updated. [1]http://nss.cs.ubc.ca/remus/hg/ I hope
>    this project is not stopped.

There's also: http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/Remus

-- Pasi