* rhel5.6 kdump initrd problem?
@ 2011-09-27 18:38 Jay Lan
From: Jay Lan @ 2011-09-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

Hi all,

I have a system running 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 kernel.
The kexec version is kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5_6.6.

The kernel was booted OK. Then it ran /etc/init.d/kdump
and a new kdump initrd image was created.
A kernel crash was triggered. The kdump kernel was booted
alright. However, it failed to boot when it tried to boot
back the regular kernel (now with the kdump initrd image
specified in the menu.lst.)

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,
Jay

* Re: rhel5.6 kdump initrd problem?
@ 2011-09-27 19:38 ` Jay Lan
From: Jay Lan @ 2011-09-27 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec

On 09/27/2011 11:38 AM, Jay Lan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a system running 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 kernel.
> The kexec version is kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5_6.6.
>
> The kernel was booted OK. Then it ran /etc/init.d/kdump
> and a new kdump initrd image was created.
> A kernel crash was triggered. The kdump kernel was booted
> alright. However, it failed to boot when it tried to boot
> back the regular kernel (now with the kdump initrd image
> specified in the menu.lst.)

I forgot to mention the failure message:
Saving to the local filesystem LABEL=xxxroot
findfs: Unable to resolve 'LABEL=xxxroot'

So, we did not have root fs and boot failed.

Thanks,
Jay

@ 2011-09-28  6:26   ` Ken'ichi Ohmichi
From: Ken'ichi Ohmichi @ 2011-09-28  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Lan; +Cc: kexec

Hi Jay,

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:38:11 -0700
Jay Lan <jlan@sgi.com> wrote:

> > I have a system running 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 kernel.
> > The kexec version is kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5_6.6.
> >
> > The kernel was booted OK. Then it ran /etc/init.d/kdump
> > and a new kdump initrd image was created.
> > A kernel crash was triggered. The kdump kernel was booted
> > alright. However, it failed to boot when it tried to boot
> > back the regular kernel (now with the kdump initrd image
> > specified in the menu.lst.)
>
> I forgot to mention the failure message:
> Saving to the local filesystem LABEL=xxxroot
> findfs: Unable to resolve 'LABEL=xxxroot'

If specifying a dev name (ex. /dev/sda3) instead of "LABEL"
in /etc/kdump.conf, what happens ?
findfs command doesn't run in the kdump initrd if specifying
a dev name.

In addition, can you try `findfs LABEL=xxxroot` while the regular
kernel runs ?

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi

* Re: rhel5.6 kdump initrd problem?
@ 2011-09-28 13:08 ` Don Zickus
From: Don Zickus @ 2011-09-28 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Lan; +Cc: kexec

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:38:28AM -0700, Jay Lan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a system running 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 kernel.
> The kexec version is kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5_6.6.
>
> The kernel was booted OK. Then it ran /etc/init.d/kdump
> and a new kdump initrd image was created.
> A kernel crash was triggered. The kdump kernel was booted
> alright. However, it failed to boot when it tried to boot
> back the regular kernel (now with the kdump initrd image
> specified in the menu.lst.)

Not sure why you would see the kdump initrd image in the menu.lst, it is
just a parameter sent to kexec.

You might have more success filing a Red Hat bz (bugzilla.redhat.com), as
the RHEL-5 kernel and kexec-tools are probably too old for discussion on
this list.

Cheers,
Don

* Re: rhel5.6 kdump initrd problem?
@ 2011-09-28 14:30   ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2011-09-28 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Zickus; +Cc: Jay Lan, kexec

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 09:08:42AM -0400, Don Zickus wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:38:28AM -0700, Jay Lan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a system running 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 kernel.
> > The kexec version is kexec-tools-1.102pre-126.el5_6.6.
> >
> > The kernel was booted OK. Then it ran /etc/init.d/kdump
> > and a new kdump initrd image was created.
> > A kernel crash was triggered. The kdump kernel was booted
> > alright. However, it failed to boot when it tried to boot
> > back the regular kernel (now with the kdump initrd image
> > specified in the menu.lst.)
>
> Not sure why you would see the kdump initrd image in the menu.lst, it is
> just a parameter sent to kexec.

Its actually not even passed to kexec, we build the initrd using the output of
uname -a, or override it manually with an option in /etc/sysconfig/kdump.  We
don't ever mount the /boot partition, so /boot/grub/menu.lst shouldn't be
accessible for re-writing.

> You might have more success filing a Red Hat bz (bugzilla.redhat.com), as
> the RHEL-5 kernel and kexec-tools are probably too old for discussion on
> this list.

Agreed, initramfs construction is a distro specific operation, the upstream
project doesn't contain bits on how to do that.
Neil

@ 2011-09-28 20:57     ` Jay Lan
From: Jay Lan @ 2011-09-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Horman; +Cc: Don Zickus, kexec

Thanks to all who replied.

Our problem was resolved. It was caused by two different
configuration issues:
1) As Don and Neil said, the kdump initrd img should not be
     in the menu.lst. Not sure why it was there at first place.
    So we changed the boot line to use the orignial initrd img.
2) We had multiple lines of "ext3 LABEL=xxx" and it
     guarantees at least one of them fail during mkdumprd
     and kdump not started properly.

All is fine now. Thanks to all who replied!

Jay