* pasting into 1.4.0.1 inside KDE 4.60
@ 2011-10-13 14:43 Dave Williams
From: Dave Williams @ 2011-10-13 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

  I've been happily using Dosemu 1.4 under openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 3.9.
I just moved from 11.1 to 11.4 with KDE 4.6.0.

  Before, I used the "both mouse buttons" method to paste text from
Linux apps into a DOS text editor.  Now pressing both mouse buttons
doesn't do anything.

  I uninstalled the 1.4.0.1 that openSUSE installed and then reinstalled
Dosemu from the same RPM (also 1.4.0.1) I last used in 11.1  No change.

  I tried "xdosemu" on the command line instead of "dosemu".  No change.

  At this point I'm out of ideas.  I suspect the problem is with KDE
4.6, since the same Dosemu works fine in KDE 3.9.

  Can anyone offer a fix or workaround?

* Why dosemu can not access internal harddisks while running from latest GRML in live CD mode?
@ 2011-10-13 20:30 ` Mgr. Janusz Chmiel
From: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel @ 2011-10-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ronin; +Cc: linux-msdos

Dear core developers of Dosemu, dear Linux kernel developers,
     I would like to kindly please You for one programmers question.
Why Dosemu can not phisically access The harddrive, IDE or SATA, when
some DOS compatible application is executed by running Dosemu? Why only
RAM disks can be accessible?
I AM running Dosemu by using latest GRML stable release in live CD mode.
If it is inpossible to access physical harddrive, why? And how complex
would be to change Linux kernel phylosophy or Dosemu CODE to enable this?
Why I AM giving those questions?
Because I AM visually impaired and very probably, some of us know, that
some applications, special bootable CDS for repairing harddrives, such
as Disk_repair. Those programs are using some DOS operating system and
.exe application for DOS.
Those utilites are not accessible for visually impaired users, because
there are very little computers equipped with parallel or serial ports,
i mean new computers.
But if Dosemu will only allow those programs to access some RAM drive
instead of harddisk build in The computer, it is sad.
If there is some configuration which will allow Dosemu to access The
internal harddrive, no only RAM drives when running Dosemu from GRML
live CD, please letme know.
If there is similar non DOS utility for repairing bad harddrive sectors,
i will be very glad to use Linux tool instead.
I AM very sad, that SmART data technology is preventing users of
harddrives with smart to access The sectors, which smart rremapped as bad.
So no programs can repair those sectors.
Only if there will be so much bad sectors, that smart can not remap
those sectors to The special reserved harddrive area, programs can find
those bad sectors.
The question is, if there is real chance to repair physical magnetic
faulty of sectors by using software, if it is not only The commercial
trick and only special labs equipped with special devices and people,
who are able to open The harddrive box and manually repair The magnetic
media are able to repair physical bad sectors.
Thank You very much for Yours comments.
With kindness regards.
Janusz Chmiel

* Re: Why dosemu can not access internal harddisks while running from latest GRML in live CD mode?
@ 2011-10-13 22:51   ` Paul Crawford
From: Paul Crawford @ 2011-10-13 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel; +Cc: ronin, linux-msdos

Dear Janusz,
> Why Dosemu can not phisically access The harddrive, IDE or SATA, when
> some DOS compatible application is executed by running Dosemu? Why only
> RAM disks can be accessible?

It can, but not safely.

dosemu normally provides a replacement for the DOS file system to safely
use the Linux file system in a reasonably compatible manner.

You can enable direct hardware access in dosemu.conf for specific I/O
ranges, etc, and run dosemu with root privileges to punch a hole through
the kernel security & moderation layers, but you should think twice
about doing so.

If you want to repair a HDD with DOS-based tools, make a bootable CD
with fredos on it and use that to run them. Look at 'UNetbootin' for
such support.

Regards,
Paul
--
  Dr. Paul S. Crawford
  c/o Satellite Station

* Re: pasting into 1.4.0.1 inside KDE 4.60
@ 2011-10-15  2:22 ` Ivan Baldo
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2011-10-15  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ronin; +Cc: linux-msdos

     Does it happen with other applications? Can you try some other
application like Firefox or Chrome or Gedit or something else not Qt/KDE
based?
     Just to see if it is more global or just KDE...
     Hope this helps.

El 13/10/11 12:43, Dave Williams escribió:
>  I've been happily using Dosemu 1.4 under openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 3.9.
> I just moved from 11.1 to 11.4 with KDE 4.6.0.
>
>  Before, I used the "both mouse buttons" method to paste text from
> Linux apps into a DOS text editor.  Now pressing both mouse buttons
> doesn't do anything.
>
>  I uninstalled the 1.4.0.1 that openSUSE installed and then
> reinstalled Dosemu from the same RPM (also 1.4.0.1) I last used in
> 11.1  No change.
>
>  I tried "xdosemu" on the command line instead of "dosemu".  No change.
>

>  At this point I'm out of ideas.  I suspect the problem is with KDE
> 4.6, since the same Dosemu works fine in KDE 3.9.
>

>  Can anyone offer a fix or workaround?

Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
 From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.
Freelance programmer and GNU/Linux system administrator, hire me!
Alternatives: ibaldo@codigolibre.net - http://go.to/ibaldo

* Re: Why dosemu can not access internal harddisks while running from latest GRML in live CD mode?
@ 2011-10-16 10:30     ` Mgr. Janusz Chmiel
From: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel @ 2011-10-16 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Crawford; +Cc: ronin, linux-msdos

Dear syr,
Thank You very much for Yours answer.
I will explain You why i would like to experiment with Dosemu so much.
First of all, there are some computer manufacturers, who are developing
recovery media, and user is able to reinstall Whoe operating system to
The original state by using it.
I do not know, how to simulate The boot from The bootable CD or DVD from
running Dosemu, i did not understand The command sintax for this operation.
Next isue is, if i will be able to emulate booting from boot media
successfully, if i will not lost The opportunity to use Speakup screen
reader hodkeys. If it will not work like i really restarted my computer
or turning it on with special bootable CD in The DVD drive inserted.
Second reason is, that bootable recovery programs are not including
screen reader, universal .sys driver for DOS, which would be able to
access sound carts is rather dream than reality, and there are new
computers without serial or parallel port.
And if i would want to have equal system administration possibility, i
AM being forced to do such thinks.
Also to respect software laws.

So please, would You be so kind and would You send me a modified .conf
file with The example how to enable harddrive direct access?
I will do it on my own responsibility and i will not try to install
Windows98 or other systems by using dosemu, i would really like to only
use harddrive repair tools and i will do it with empty harddrive without
partitions.
If i will get some error messages from Dosemu or Linux kernel, i will
give it up.

@ 2011-10-16 20:29       ` Paul Crawford
From: Paul Crawford @ 2011-10-16 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel; +Cc: ronin, linux-msdos

Dear Janusz,
> I do not know, how to simulate The boot from The bootable CD or DVD from
> running Dosemu, i did not understand The command sintax for this operation.
> Next isue is, if i will be able to emulate booting from boot media
> successfully, if i will not lost The opportunity to use Speakup screen

I don't think dosemu is the sort of tool that is best suited to testing
or analysing the boot process of a CD/DVD for operating system recovery.

dosemu does not emulate every feature of a DOS PC, only the ones needed
so far to run certain DOS programs. As far as I understand it, dosemu
currently only emulates DMA as used in the sound cards, and not as a
full PC behaves. If you were to enable direct hard disk access and try
an operating system it would probably fail as it attempted to switch
from PIO mode to DMA mode for disk I/O.

I think you should be looking at a 'virtual machine' such as VMware
(which I have used to run DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 for testing), or one
of the others such as Zen, VirtualBox, etc:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualMachines

I don't know how easy it would be to make a 'live CD' with one package
installed and configured, so I would suggest installing a Linux
distribution on a suitable PC, maybe with a new large HDD (couple of
times the HDD you want to emulate) and plenty of memory (say 512MB plus
the expected memory for the tested operating system), then installing
something like VMware player (which is free, but not open source) and
then trying to create a new blank machine and boot your CD/DVD and see
if it will restore the 'virtual disk' as you want it to.

The advantage of such an approach is you can simply delete the virtual
drive and create a new on in minutes, and you can (with some versions)
create snapshots of the system before installing patches, new software,
etc, or just to mount them to see what the HDD looked like at that point
in time.

dosemu is really only for running DOS software that is reasonably well
behaved. If you do use it for direct hardware access (which we do) then
it really works best/most reliably for non-operating system components
such as special peripherals.

Regards,
Paul
--

@ 2011-10-17  1:57         ` Ivan Baldo
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2011-10-17  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Crawford; +Cc: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel, ronin, linux-msdos

     Hello.
     The problem with virtualization is that screen readers can't read
their screens (I guess).
     Using DOSEmu in terminal mode allows screen readers to read the
screen of the program that it is running and there are recovery programs
for DOS it seems.
     So, if no virtual machine system allows to use a screen reader then
it is not useful for Janusz.
     Does anybody know if there is a virtual machine emulator that has
support for screen reading (support for visually impaired people) and
raw access to a hard disk?
     Janusz, isn't there any useful recovery program for Linux that you
can use?
     Here is a list of programs from my Debian Testing distribution:
         - chntpw: NT SAM password recovery utility.
         - gddrescue: the GNU data recovery tool.
         - gzrt: gzip recovery toolkit.
         - safecopy: Copy utility ignoring errors.
         - scalpel: A Frugal, High Performance File Carver.
         - scrounge-ntfs: Data recovery program for NTFS filesystems.
         - scrub: writes patterns on magnetic media to thwart data recovery.
         - testdisk: Partition scanner and disk recovery tool.
         - convmv: filename encoding conversion tool.
         - dosfstools: utilities for making and checking MS-DOS FAT
filesystems.
         - e2undel: Undelete utility for the ext2 file system.
         - ext3grep: Tool to help recover deleted files on ext3 filesystems.
         - gcp: Advanced command line file copy system.
         - ntfs-3g: read/write NTFS driver for FUSE.
         - recover: Undelete files on ext2 partitions.
         - recoverjpeg: tool to recover JPEG images from a filesystem image.
         - smartmontools: is to control the S.M.A.R.T. capability of
hard disks.
     All those programs have terminal interfaces.
     You can read more about them searching on Google or in
http://packages.debian.org/ .
     Hope this helps!!!
     Bye.

--
Ivan Baldo - ibaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
 From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.

@ 2011-10-17 11:37           ` Mgr. Janusz Chmiel
From: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel @ 2011-10-17 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Baldo; +Cc: Paul Crawford, ronin, linux-msdos

Dear syr,
Thank You very much for Yours help.
Yes, You had right. GRML is including precompiled Speakup in kernel and
Speakup is able to use Espeak synthesizer and because Dosemu is
professionally preconfigured, i can run Dosemu from one of The virtual
consoles and i can read The dos programs messages by using Speakup
screen reader.
Program HDD Regenerator 2011 is using .exe program for DOS for searching
bad harddrive sectors and according to The programmer, it can repair
physically damaged sectors.
I have Toshiba satellite notebook and my second harddrive is having some
bad sectors according to The smart test included in many programs
including Diskutility included with Ubuntu.
My first harddrive started to have even 11 bad sectors and it started to
be more and more slover and it finished by The situation, that harddisk
heads were worked constantly and harddrive have been cycled in The self
test mode so even Linux kernel were not able to find this device.
I would like to know, if it is possibility to repair hydden sectors,
which are being hydden by The smart function. Because i think, that
every harddrive is having some place to store bad sectors on it, and
when this place started to be full, it start to unhyde those bad sectors
and even Windows or other operating system kernel is able to find those
sectors unusable.
I Am very gently to my computers and i AM very sad, that second harddisk
is containing those bad sectors.
Firstly, there were 5 bad sectors and 6 or 8 weeks later there was 7 bad
sectors.
If will be more than 10 bad sectors, it will start to blocking Windows
kernel and i will get errors that system can't read or write from The
specific sectors.
When i have tried HDD Regenerator 2011 with my mother, program did not
find bad sectors but i think, that program is also depend on BIOS
services for accessing sectors and that bad sectors will be only
awailable for HDD Regenerator 2011 to repair it when harddisk will
contain more than 10  bad sectors.
So by The others words, i AM searching for program to repair Toshiba
manufactured harddisk.
Do You think, that it is possible to connect other than Toshiba harddisk
to My notebook? Or BIOS or other build in software modules will only
cooperate with their harddisks?
If i will have to be forced to change thirt harddisk, it is very
unpleasant think.
I Am afraid, that i will be forced to use Linux in live Mode and
external harddrive for data storage, but because in live Mode system is
using RAM for storing .tmp files, it is not very practic approach.
And i Am having big issue, i can not find The kernel device driver for
The Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) device.
May be, that this kernel device driver not exist.
I can make my Ubuntu or debian remaster, it is not issue for Me, i know
about Remastersys or Tux2live, so there are possibility.
I have also PCLINUX OS ZEN Mini from Year 2009 and this distro is
containing ammazing remastering script, user is even able to remaster
from running live CD by specifiing The target partition. It is sad, that
this is not possible when using Debian based kernels.

* Re: Why dosemu can not access internal harddisks while running from latest GRML in live CD mode?
@ 2011-10-17 12:07             ` Ivan Baldo
From: Ivan Baldo @ 2011-10-17 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel; +Cc: Paul Crawford, ronin, linux-msdos

     Janusz, you can put any hard disk you want in your laptop, it
doesn't have to be from Toshiba, generally they are of 2.5 inches with a
SATA connector.
     Here in Uruguay a 500 GB 2.5 inches laptop harddisk costs 87 USD, I
guess they are cheaper in other parts of the world.
     You need to buy it, then find a way to transfer the information to
the new harddisk and thats it.
     Don't count on any program to be able to fix a harddisk, when they
fail there is usually not a way to repair them.
     And you can't trust your harddisk if it is accumulating relocated
sectors, it could fail anytime.
     Good bye!

El 17/10/11 09:37, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel escribió:
> [...]
> unpleasant think.
> I Am afraid, that i will be forced to use Linux in live Mode and
> external harddrive for data storage, but because in live Mode system
> is using RAM for storing .tmp files, it is not very practic approach.
> And i Am having big issue, i can not find The kernel device driver for
> The Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
> device.
> May be, that this kernel device driver not exist.
> I can make my Ubuntu or debian remaster, it is not issue for Me, i
> know about Remastersys or Tux2live, so there are possibility.
> I have also PCLINUX OS ZEN Mini from Year 2009 and this distro is
> containing ammazing remastering script, user is even able to remaster
> from running live CD by specifiing The target partition. It is sad,
> that this is not possible when using Debian based kernels.

 From Montevideo, Uruguay, at the south of South America.

@ 2011-10-17 12:20               ` Mgr. Janusz Chmiel
From: Mgr. Janusz Chmiel @ 2011-10-17 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Baldo; +Cc: Paul Crawford, ronin, linux-msdos

Dear syr,
Thank You very much for Yours realistic words. One colleague on my job
is making fun from Me, that it is not problem, if 600 GB harddrive is
containing relocated 11 sectors. He sad Me, that it is my error that i
AM studiing those information and if i were not know about smart
technology, i could stay quiet.
His opinion is making Me sad also today. My first harddrive contained
bad sectors from The beginning and i have started to use smart related
programs to find The problem. And when Windows kernel were not able to
read from The harddisk and error message have been appeared, i have
found out, that if The result of Smart test is not good, it is really
The reason for thinkink about this harddrive and if Smart test fails,
also operating system kernel will have The issues while reading The
harddrive content.
I must wait until my harddrive will totally fail, because my notebook is
in The period of varranty and service technicians will not change my
harddrive only because but smart tests results. Aspecially, because
utility from Toshiba for diagnosink harddrive is very tolerant for The
numbers of relocated sectors and because their utility is not showing
error, service technicians will tell Me, that computer is OK. So i must
regularly make The backup to my external USB harddrive and i must
patiently wait till my harddisk will become totally unusable.
After varranty will expire, i will try to change The harddisk model if
also second changed harddisk will cause The issues.
If it will not be able by other procedure, i will use harddisk with
lover capacity or special Flash based harddrive, but i do not know, if
those harddrives can be connected to The SATA connector like a standard
harddisk.
Fortunately for Me, recovery program from Toshiba is very blind friendly
and i can use it without need to use some virtualisations, i must only
press enter for many times and in The one situation i must press TAB key
for The several times and i can recover my operating system and device
drivers.

* Re: pasting into 1.4.0.1 inside KDE 4.60
@ 2011-10-21  1:43   ` Dave Williams
From: Dave Williams @ 2011-10-21  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

On 10/14/2011 09:22 PM, Ivan Baldo wrote:

 >> Before, I used the "both mouse buttons" method to paste text from
 >> Linux apps into a DOS text editor. Now pressing both mouse buttons
 >> doesn't do anything.

> Does it happen with other applications? Can you try some other
> application like Firefox or Chrome or Gedit or something else not Qt/KDE
> based?

Cutting and pasting from Firefox or Chrome doesn't work either.