* Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-18  4:08 Andrew Ardill
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Ardill @ 2011-10-18  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi list, I have been searching for details on what is required to
compile on Windows, but haven't found anything conclusive. Perhaps
there is something on the wiki, but unfortunately it is down at the
moment.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to be able to
compile and test topic branches, and perhaps even do some dev work on
my windows machine.

Regards,

Andrew Ardill

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-18  5:41 ` Frans Klaver
From: Frans Klaver @ 2011-10-18  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git, Andrew Ardill

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 06:08:16 +0200, Andrew Ardill
<andrew.ardill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list, I have been searching for details on what is required to
> compile on Windows, but haven't found anything conclusive. Perhaps
> there is something on the wiki, but unfortunately it is down at the
> moment.

There's this project called msysgit[0]. The website depends on the wiki
for explanation though.

Cheers,
Frans

[0]http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-18  6:17   ` Andrew Ardill
From: Andrew Ardill @ 2011-10-18  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frans Klaver; +Cc: git

Thanks for the replies all - I think my main issue was that the wiki
is down and msysgit has very little use-able documentation otherwise.
I had cloned the msysgit project, but was lost on what to do from
there. Foolishly, I had glossed over the msysgit installers on the
project home (I think I thought they were Git for Windows installers).

I have now installed everything, and am ready to hack. Perhaps the
first port of call is adding a README to msysgit :D

Thanks again,

Andrew Ardill

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-18  6:39 ` Alexey Shumkin
From: Alexey Shumkin @ 2011-10-18  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Ardill; +Cc: git

Take a look at Cygwin.
On Windows I use Git under Cygwin.
And, of course, Git can be compiled there (with dependencies installed
like openssl-dev, curl-dev, etc)

> Hi list, I have been searching for details on what is required to
> compile on Windows, but haven't found anything conclusive. Perhaps
> there is something on the wiki, but unfortunately it is down at the
> moment.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to be able to
> compile and test topic branches, and perhaps even do some dev work on
> my windows machine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Ardill

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-18 14:02     ` Erik Faye-Lund
From: Erik Faye-Lund @ 2011-10-18 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Ardill; +Cc: Frans Klaver, git

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Andrew Ardill <andrew.ardill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies all - I think my main issue was that the wiki
> is down and msysgit has very little use-able documentation otherwise.
> I had cloned the msysgit project, but was lost on what to do from
> there. Foolishly, I had glossed over the msysgit installers on the
> project home (I think I thought they were Git for Windows installers).

Yeah, the installer sets up a fully self-contained MSYS-based
development environment to hack on Git for Windows.

> I have now installed everything, and am ready to hack. Perhaps the
> first port of call is adding a README to msysgit :D

Not at all a bad idea!

It'd be awesome if it even worked with the GitHub markup-stuff as
well, since we moved the project there :)

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-18 16:07       ` Sebastian Schuberth
From: Sebastian Schuberth @ 2011-10-18 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kusmabite; +Cc: Andrew Ardill, Frans Klaver, git

On 18.10.2011 16:02, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:

>> there. Foolishly, I had glossed over the msysgit installers on the
>> project home (I think I thought they were Git for Windows installers).
>
> Yeah, the installer sets up a fully self-contained MSYS-based
> development environment to hack on Git for Windows.

I keep advertizing my mingwGitDevEnv [1] project which aims to become an alternative to the current msysGit net installer [2]. The advantage of mingwGitDevEnv will be that it comes with an mingw-get based environment, i.e. you can very easily update / add new MinGW / MSYS tools directly from upstream.

Just today I reached a state were mingwGitDevEnv can successfully build git.exe, but git-gui etc. are still missing due to a lack of mingw-get compatible Tcl/Tk packages.

[1] https://github.com/sschuberth/mingwGitDevEnv
[2] http://msysgit.googlecode.com/files/msysGit-netinstall-1.7.7-preview20111014.exe

--
Sebastian Schuberth

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-19  7:49 ` Vincent van Ravesteijn
From: Vincent van Ravesteijn @ 2011-10-19  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Ardill; +Cc: git

Op 18-10-2011 6:08, Andrew Ardill schreef:
> Hi list, I have been searching for details on what is required to
> compile on Windows, but haven't found anything conclusive. Perhaps
> there is something on the wiki, but unfortunately it is down at the
> moment.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to be able to
> compile and test topic branches, and perhaps even do some dev work on
> my windows machine.

I once wrote a little step-by-step tutorial on how to compile the native
Windows Git with MSVC (Express).

http://blog.vfrconsultancy.nl/#post0

Be aware that git runs without apparent problems, but that all
functionality written in shell scripts can't be used.

HTH,

Vincent

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-19 21:46   ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2011-10-19 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Ardill, Vincent van Ravesteijn; +Cc: Git MsysGit, git

From: "Vincent van Ravesteijn" <vfr@lyx.org>
> Op 18-10-2011 6:08, Andrew Ardill schreef:
>> Hi list, I have been searching for details on what is required to
>> compile on Windows, but haven't found anything conclusive. Perhaps
>> there is something on the wiki, but unfortunately it is down at the
>> moment.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to be able to
>> compile and test topic branches, and perhaps even do some dev work on
>> my windows machine.
>
> I once wrote a little step-by-step tutorial on how to compile the native
> Windows Git with MSVC (Express).
>
> http://blog.vfrconsultancy.nl/#post0

The blog post filled in a few gaps in the Msysgit README instructions about
where to place the various downloads described.

> Be aware that git runs without apparent problems, but that all
> functionality written in shell scripts can't be used.
>
> HTH,
>
> Vincent
> --

Many thanks, it saved me asking.
Philip

* Re: [msysGit] Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-19 23:17     ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2011-10-19 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley; +Cc: Andrew Ardill, Vincent van Ravesteijn, Git MsysGit, git

Hi,

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Philip Oakley wrote:

> From: "Vincent van Ravesteijn" <vfr@lyx.org>
> > Op 18-10-2011 6:08, Andrew Ardill schreef:
> > > Hi list, I have been searching for details on what is required to
> > > compile on Windows, but haven't found anything conclusive. Perhaps
> > > there is something on the wiki, but unfortunately it is down at the
> > > moment.

The quickest way to get Git for Windows compiled is to download & run
msysGit-netinstall from http://msysgit.googlecode.com/.

Ciao,
Johannes

* Re: [msysGit] Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-20  7:06       ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2011-10-20  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Vincent van Ravesteijn @ 2011-10-20 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley; +Cc: Andrew Ardill, Git MsysGit, git

>> I once wrote a little step-by-step tutorial on how to compile the
>> native Windows Git with MSVC (Express).
>>
>> http://blog.vfrconsultancy.nl/#post0
>
> The blog post filled in a few gaps in the Msysgit README instructions
> about where to place the various downloads described.

I updated the post a little so that it actually works again. I somehow
like to have a real native Windows compilation of Git.

To successfully compile Git, we also need to change
> #include <sys/resource.h>
into
> #include <io.h>

I have seen some communication about this in the past, but nobody cared
enough to fix this.

Shall I sent a patch that adds a file "compat/win32/sys/resource.h"
which just includes "io.h" ? Or is there another more prefered way to
fix this ?

Vincent

* Re: Compiling on Windows
@ 2011-10-21 11:41       ` Erik Faye-Lund
From: Erik Faye-Lund @ 2011-10-21 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent van Ravesteijn; +Cc: Philip Oakley, Andrew Ardill, Git MsysGit, git

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Vincent van Ravesteijn <vfr@lyx.org> wrote:

>>> I once wrote a little step-by-step tutorial on how to compile the native
>>> Windows Git with MSVC (Express).
>>>
>>> http://blog.vfrconsultancy.nl/#post0
>>
>> The blog post filled in a few gaps in the Msysgit README instructions
>> about where to place the various downloads described.
>
> I updated the post a little so that it actually works again. I somehow like
> to have a real native Windows compilation of Git.

Git for Windows is a "real native Windows compilation of Git". You
don't need a MSVC-compiled binary for that.

> To successfully compile Git, we also need to change
>>
>> #include <sys/resource.h>
>
> into
>>
>> #include <io.h>
>
> I have seen some communication about this in the past, but nobody cared
> enough to fix this.

There's been some patches dealing with this recently on the msysgit
mailing list. Look for the patches prefixed with "MSVC" in Karsten
Blees' Unicode series. They will be kicked out of the next iteration
of the Unicode series, but if you want to pick them up, clean up the
issues pointed out and re-submit them, that'd be very welcome.

> Shall I sent a patch that adds a file "compat/win32/sys/resource.h" which
> just includes "io.h" ? Or is there another more prefered way to fix this ?

I would prefer <io.h> to be included from compat/msvc.h instead,
because <io.h> isn't a <sys/resource.h> replacement.

As for the missing <sys/resource.h>, I'm not so sure. We don't have
<sys/resource.h> in msysGit either, and I personally don't like the
whole adding-stub-headers approach too much, but it does seem to be
the precedence set for the MSVC-build...

In general I'd say that no-one have worked the MSVC-support in a
while, patches would be welcome :)