* [Qemu-devel] QEMU Mascot Contest
@ 2011-11-10 22:10 Anthony Liguori
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-11-10 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi

We're long over due for a mascot for QEMU.  Our wiki is nice, but is missing
that bit of pizzazz that a spiffy logo brings.  I can't think of a better time
than the 1.0 release to create one either.

Having given it some thought and discussing it with a few people, there seems to
be an obvious mascot: an Emu named Q.

Now you might say to yourself, "Isn't an Emu a big stupid flightless bird?".  On
the contrary, Emu's are elegant and incredibly fast--easily reaching speeds over
30mph.  They may look a bit silly, but they're a force to be reckon with having
some of the strongest legs in the animal kingdom.  With razor sharp claws, they
can rip through metal fencing with no problem.

But there's only one problem with Q--we need someone to create an image of him!
  I thought it would be a fun part of the 1.0 release to have a logo competition
to create an official image of Q.

So break out Gimp, Inkscape, or your favorite image editor and submit an icon
for consideration!  If we get enough proposals over the next couple weeks, we'll
setup a vote before the 1.0 release.

To submit an icon, just sent an email to qemu-devel with the icon and include an
[ICON] tag in the subject.  The only real rules are that the license must be an
open license that allows redistribution of derived works.  SVG images are
certainly preferred.

I'm excited to see what people come up with!  Happy Gimping!

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Mascot Contest
@ 2011-11-11  7:10 ` Stefan Weil
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Weil @ 2011-11-11  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

Am 10.11.2011 23:10, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> Hi
>
> We're long over due for a mascot for QEMU.  Our wiki is nice, but is
> missing that bit of pizzazz that a spiffy logo brings.  I can't think
> of a better time than the 1.0 release to create one either.
>
> Having given it some thought and discussing it with a few people,
> there seems to be an obvious mascot: an Emu named Q.
>
> Now you might say to yourself, "Isn't an Emu a big stupid flightless
> bird?".  On the contrary, Emu's are elegant and incredibly
> fast--easily reaching speeds over 30mph.  They may look a bit silly,
> but they're a force to be reckon with having some of the strongest
> legs in the animal kingdom.  With razor sharp claws, they can rip
> through metal fencing with no problem.
>
> But there's only one problem with Q--we need someone to create an
> image of him!  I thought it would be a fun part of the 1.0 release to
> have a logo competition to create an official image of Q.
>
> So break out Gimp, Inkscape, or your favorite image editor and submit
> an icon for consideration!  If we get enough proposals over the next
> couple weeks, we'll setup a vote before the 1.0 release.
>
> To submit an icon, just sent an email to qemu-devel with the icon and
> include an [ICON] tag in the subject.  The only real rules are that
> the license must be an open license that allows redistribution of
> derived works.  SVG images are certainly preferred.
>
> I'm excited to see what people come up with!  Happy Gimping!
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

Hello Anthony,

there is already my QEMU Icon Contest page (http://qemu.weilnetz.de/icon/)
where I'll publish any new proposal.

I already tried to design a Q emu icon and stopped it again: it's not in the
least trivial to design an emu with a Q in 16 x 16 pixels. So I'm really
curious what people will send in.

Regards,

Stefan Weil

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Mascot Contest
@ 2011-11-11  7:11 ` Alex Bradbury
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Bradbury @ 2011-11-11  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 10 November 2011 22:10, Anthony Liguori <anthony@codemonkey.ws> wrote:
> To submit an icon, just sent an email to qemu-devel with the icon and
> include an [ICON] tag in the subject.  The only real rules are that the
> license must be an open license that allows redistribution of derived works.
>  SVG images are certainly preferred.

For the artistically challenged, I'll note there's a rather nice
public domain emu drawing on wikimedia commons [1], and it looks like
someone has traced it to svg on openclipart.

[1]: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Emu_(PSF).png

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Mascot Contest
@ 2011-11-11 14:41 ` Andreas Färber
From: Andreas Färber @ 2011-11-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel

Hi,

Am 10.11.2011 23:10, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> [...]  I thought it would be a fun part of the 1.0 release to have a
> logo competition to create an official image of Q.
>
> So break out Gimp, Inkscape, or your favorite image editor and submit an
> icon for consideration!  If we get enough proposals over the next couple
> weeks, we'll setup a vote before the 1.0 release.
>
> To submit an icon, just sent an email to qemu-devel with the icon and
> include an [ICON] tag in the subject.  The only real rules are that the
> license must be an open license that allows redistribution of derived
> works.  SVG images are certainly preferred.
>
> I'm excited to see what people come up with!  Happy Gimping!

Could we make the end date of this contest explicit, please? Dec 1 GMT?

Is there any prize for the winner apart from eternal fame and glory?
Like a free PULL or an exciting week handling qemu-trivial? :)

Cheers,
Andreas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU Mascot Contest
@ 2011-11-11 18:41   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-11-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Färber; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 11/11/2011 08:41 AM, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 10.11.2011 23:10, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
>> [...]  I thought it would be a fun part of the 1.0 release to have a
>> logo competition to create an official image of Q.
>>
>> So break out Gimp, Inkscape, or your favorite image editor and submit an
>> icon for consideration!  If we get enough proposals over the next couple
>> weeks, we'll setup a vote before the 1.0 release.
>>
>> To submit an icon, just sent an email to qemu-devel with the icon and
>> include an [ICON] tag in the subject.  The only real rules are that the
>> license must be an open license that allows redistribution of derived
>> works.  SVG images are certainly preferred.
>>
>> I'm excited to see what people come up with!  Happy Gimping!
>
> Could we make the end date of this contest explicit, please? Dec 1 GMT?

Yes, let's say Dec 1st.

> Is there any prize for the winner apart from eternal fame and glory?
> Like a free PULL or an exciting week handling qemu-trivial? :)

In the very least, I'll buy the winner a beer or tasty beverage of choice at the
next KVM Forum ;-)

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

> Cheers,