* FW: Problem to generate u-boot image
       [not found] <87C8C51E47F55D47ABF9BB39687792ED41FA2C@POCITMSEXMB01.LntUniverse.com>
@ 2011-05-27  8:17 ` Nikhil Kamath
From: Nikhil Kamath @ 2011-05-27  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi All,

We are trying to build 'BSP' for IMX35pdk which runs on kernel 2.6.35.3 for our project.

So to understand  Yoctoproject initially we are trying to generate u-boot image for "arm" architecture & these are the steps followed by us.

1.       The packages required for host (Ubuntu -10.04) is installed as per the documentation referred in http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/yocto-quick-start/yocto-project-qs.html

2.       Installed the "poky-bernard-5.0.tar.bz2" from http://www.yoctoproject.org/download & untarred  the file in linux machine (Ubuntu).

       $ tar xjf poky-bernard-5.0.tar.bz2

3.       "poky-bernard-5.0" directory got installed in working directory.

4.  Run the command "source poky-bernard-5.0/poky-init-build-env"

5.  Creates build directory with "conf" folder.

6.  Edited the local.conf file in "poky-bernard-5.0/build/conf"  i.e MACHINE ??= "qemuarm".

7.  Finally run bitbake u-boot_git which is available at "poky-bernard-5.0/meta/recipes-bsp/uboot"

$ bitbake u-boot_git

All the packages will be downloaded  from git repository as per the '.bb' files defined. We are getting an error message which is being attached to  the mail. Please do suggest the changes to be done.

Thanks,
Prashanth Shiva

Larsen & Toubro Limited

www.larsentoubro.com

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s) If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.

[-- Attachment #2: poky_uboot_Issue.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 155311 bytes --]

* Re: FW: Problem to generate u-boot image
@ 2011-05-31  8:44   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2011-05-31  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On Friday 27 May 2011 09:17:45 Nikhil Kamath wrote:
> $ bitbake u-boot_git

When specifying a target for bitbake you can't include the version (the
underscore _ and everything after it). Poky will take care of selecting the
version for you; in this case there is only one. So you should run the
following instead:

$ bitbake u-boot

FYI for future reference if you do have multiple version choices and want to
force one of them to be selected that is not the default, you need to add this
somewhere (initially local.conf, but it may become part of your custom distro
if you later create one):

PREFERRED_VERSION_packagename = "1.0"

(Assuming packagename is the name of the package and 1.0 is the version you
want to select.)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: FW: Problem to generate u-boot image
@ 2011-05-31 14:31     ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2011-05-31 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Paul Eggleton

On 05/31/2011 01:44 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Friday 27 May 2011 09:17:45 Nikhil Kamath wrote:
>> $ bitbake u-boot_git
>
> When specifying a target for bitbake you can't include the version (the
> underscore _ and everything after it). Poky will take care of selecting the
> version for you; in this case there is only one. So you should run the
> following instead:
>
> $ bitbake u-boot
>
> FYI for future reference if you do have multiple version choices and want to
> force one of them to be selected that is not the default, you need to add this
> somewhere (initially local.conf, but it may become part of your custom distro
> if you later create one):
>
> PREFERRED_VERSION_packagename = "1.0"
>
> (Assuming packagename is the name of the package and 1.0 is the version you
> want to select.)
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Paul is correct in all the above. However, u-boot is very
machine-specific, and there is no qemuarm u-boot configuration. In order
to build u-boot, you must define:

UBOOT_MACHINE
UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT
UBOOT_LOADADDRESS

In bernard and older releases, the first is usally defined in the
u-boot_git.bb as a machine override:

UBOOT_MACHINE_your-machine = "uboot-machine-config"

Where uboot-machine-config is a named machine config that upstream
u-boot ships with its sources. The second and third variable are usually
defined in the machine configuration file.

For example, for the beagleboard, these values are set as:

UBOOT_MACHINE = "omap3_beagle_config"
UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT = "0x80008000"
UBOOT_LOADADDRESS = "0x80008000"

If you aren't sure what those values should be, consider starting a
thread on the u-boot mailing list on how to configure u-boot for your
specific machine.

Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center
Yocto Project - Linux Kernel