* Alsa-lib version info
@ 2011-12-14 21:03 Alan Horstmann
From: Alan Horstmann @ 2011-12-14 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I have read in the docs about snd_asoundlib_version() to get a version string,
but is there a way to get the SND_LIB_VERSION number from a runtime Alsa-lib,
rather than from the header included at application build time, or would it
have to be constructed from the string?

Thanks

Alan

* Re: Alsa-lib version info
@ 2011-12-16 13:52 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2011-12-16 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Horstmann; +Cc: alsa-devel

Alan Horstmann wrote:
> I have read in the docs about snd_asoundlib_version() to get a version string,
> but is there a way to get the SND_LIB_VERSION number from a runtime Alsa-lib,
> rather than from the header included at application build time,

No.

> or would it have to be constructed from the string?

Why are you interested in the version number?  What are you actually
trying to check for?

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: Alsa-lib version info
@ 2011-12-16 20:35   ` Alan Horstmann
From: Alan Horstmann @ 2011-12-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Friday 16 December 2011 13:52, you wrote:
> Alan Horstmann wrote:
> > I have read in the docs about snd_asoundlib_version() to get a version
> > string, but is there a way to get the SND_LIB_VERSION number from a
> > runtime Alsa-lib, rather than from the header included at application
> > build time,
>
> No.
>
> > or would it have to be constructed from the string?
>
> Why are you interested in the version number?  What are you actually
> trying to check for?

To be able to apply workarounds for 'mis-behaviours' of older versions of
Alsa-lib, since the aim (Portaudio) is to work as widely as possible.  A
single number along the lines of SND_LIB_VERSION makes a one-line comparision
possible - eg less than (1<<16 | 0 | 14) means prior to 1.0.14 - to activate
some little fix-up.

Thanks

Alan