* Big Mess--How to use Git to resolve
@ 2011-12-17 12:32 hs_glw
From: hs_glw @ 2011-12-17 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I want to use Git, I have had read documentation installed on my local
machine, then looked at my mess of code and don't know what the hell to do.

I have a Perl Web Application, several hundred programs, templates,
configuration files.

Companies buy my application and I host it for them.

I have 40+ clients

Each client has its own unique installation of the software on my web
server.

Some clients have customizations of the code, some have version 5 of the
software others have 5.2, 5.5 etc.

This sucks.

My goal is to pull all the different versions in, put them all together, and
create a master version of the software that runs for all clients.

There will still be some files that are completely unique to each client
(style sheets and logos for instance).

I can't figure out if I should start with my oldest version of the code or
the newest, I haven't really found in the documentation how to start with
different permutations of the code in a repository.   Everything I have
found assumes you start with one set of code, then make changes.  I have
multiple variations and need to get them consistent.

I expect to use all of 2012 getting this put back together, but I have to
start.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should set Git up to do
what I need?