* Android mainlining project
@ 2011-12-20  0:39 Tim Bird
From: Tim Bird @ 2011-12-20  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-embedded; +Cc: linux kernel

Hello all,

I would like to announce the beginning of a project to
make a concerted effort to mainline patches and features
from Android into the mainline Linux kernel.

At the recent kernel summit in Prague, there was a discussion
about re-evaluating some of the Android-specific features
that are found in Google's android kernel, and looking at
whether and how to incorporate them into the mainline (kernel.org)
kernel.

Various parties, including individual developers, the
CE workgroup in the Linux Foundation, and a group at Linaro
have been working on different aspects of this.  A wiki
page and mailing list have been created to help coordinate
our efforts and avoid duplication and confusion.

The wiki page for this effort (still under construction) is
at: http://elinux.org/Android_Mainlining_Project

There's a mailing list if you wish to follow discussions
about this project.  It's available at:

If you are interested in this work, please join the mailing
list or send me an e-mail.  Some interesting things are already
happening.  I'll send a status message to the ce-android-mainline
list in a day or two to let interested parties know what's currently
going on.

Regards,
 -- Tim

=============================
Tim Bird
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment
=============================

* Re: Android mainlining project
@ 2011-12-20 23:27 ` Geunsik Lim
From: Geunsik Lim @ 2011-12-20 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Bird; +Cc: linux-embedded, linux kernel

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Tim Bird <tim.bird@am.sony.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to announce the beginning of a project to
> make a concerted effort to mainline patches and features
> from Android into the mainline Linux kernel.
>
> At the recent kernel summit in Prague, there was a discussion
> about re-evaluating some of the Android-specific features
> that are found in Google's android kernel, and looking at
> whether and how to incorporate them into the mainline (kernel.org)
> kernel.
>
> Various parties, including individual developers, the
> CE workgroup in the Linux Foundation, and a group at Linaro
> have been working on different aspects of this.  A wiki
> page and mailing list have been created to help coordinate
> our efforts and avoid duplication and confusion.
>
> The wiki page for this effort (still under construction) is
> at: http://elinux.org/Android_Mainlining_Project
Actually, current linux-next tree is not including ashmem(anonymous
shared memory).
When I checked android kernel features of linux-next(20111219),
Wakelock API feature(./kernel/power/*lock.c) still isn't appeared in
linux-next tree.

> There's a mailing list if you wish to follow discussions
> about this project.  It's available at:
>
> If you are interested in this work, please join the mailing
> list or send me an e-mail.  Some interesting things are already
> happening.  I'll send a status message to the ce-android-mainline
> list in a day or two to let interested parties know what's currently
> going on.
>
> Regards,
>  -- Tim

Best regards,
Geunsik Lim ( Samsung Electronics )
Blog : http://blog.naver.com/invain/
Homepage: http://leemgs.fedorapeople.org

* Re: Android mainlining project
@ 2011-12-20 23:37   ` Tim Bird
From: Tim Bird @ 2011-12-20 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geunsik Lim; +Cc: linux-embedded, linux kernel

On 12/20/2011 03:27 PM, Geunsik Lim wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Tim Bird <tim.bird@am.sony.com> wrote:
>> The wiki page for this effort (still under construction) is
>> at: http://elinux.org/Android_Mainlining_Project
> Actually, current linux-next tree is not including ashmem(anonymous
> shared memory).
> When I checked android kernel features of linux-next(20111219),
> Wakelock API feature(./kernel/power/*lock.c) still isn't appeared in
> linux-next tree.

Both of these (wakelocks and ashmem) are listed as "not mainlined"
in the table on the wiki page.  Ashmem is apparently being
worked on (see the lwn.net article).
 -- Tim