* Unable to set system clock
@ 2012-01-10 12:57 Navani Kamal Srivastava
From: Navani Kamal Srivastava @ 2012-01-10 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I am getting problem in changing system clock of my board.
On rebooting the board after changing time, I can see the new time in kernel boot messages like
"pmic_rtc pmic_rtc.1: setting system clock to 2012-01-10 18:22:15 UTC (1326219735) "

but again it used to reconfigure system clock. Kindly see the boot messages which comes after above mentioned message-
Configuring network interfaces... done.
Tue Jan 10 10:28:00 UTC 2012
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
Starting syslogd/klogd: done

So now on giving "date" command at prompt I am getting the same time which was there before
root@mx35pdk:~# date
Tue Jan 10 10:29:17 UTC 2012

What I am unable to understand is why this problem is coming with time only. Date is getting changed successfully.

I am pretty sure from hardware point of view because Ltib rootfs is working fine with this board.
Any replies would be appreciable.

Thanks & Regards,
Navani Kamal Srivastava

Larsen & Toubro Limited

www.larsentoubro.com

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s) If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.

* Re: Unable to set system clock
@ 2012-01-10 13:17 ` Gary Thomas
       [not found]   ` <9BACABF0C6B14A4D8C33B42A795119BE096D9B63@POCITMSEXMB03.LntUniverse.com>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-01-10 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navani Kamal Srivastava; +Cc: yocto

On 2012-01-10 05:57, Navani Kamal Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting problem in changing system clock of my board.
>
> On rebooting the board after changing time, I can see the new time in kernel boot messages like
>
> “pmic_rtc pmic_rtc.1: setting system clock to 2012-01-10 18:22:15 UTC (1326219735) “
>
> but again it used to reconfigure system clock. Kindly see the boot messages which comes after above mentioned message-
>
> Configuring network interfaces... done.
>
> Tue Jan 10 10:28:00 UTC 2012
>
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
>
> Starting syslogd/klogd: done
>
> So now on giving “date” command at prompt I am getting the same time which was there before
>
> root@mx35pdk:~# date
>
> Tue Jan 10 10:29:17 UTC 2012
>
> What I am unable to understand is why this problem is coming with time only. Date is getting changed successfully.
>
> I am pretty sure from hardware point of view because Ltib rootfs is working fine with this board.
>
> Any replies would be appreciable.

What's your hardware target?  There is a bug #1767 that can
make the system always reset the clock to the saved timestamp
on boot.  This is probably what's happening to you.

@ 2012-01-11 11:36     ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-01-11 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navani Kamal Srivastava; +Cc: yocto

On 2012-01-10 22:14, Navani Kamal Srivastava wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
>> What's your hardware target?
> We are using iMX35 processor.
>
>> There is a bug #1767 that can make the system always reset the clock to the saved timestamp on boot.
> I am not pretty sure for this because I am able to set system clock using freescale provided rootfs. This problem I am getting only with poky rootfs. I guess I need to change some recipe. It would be a great help if you can help me in that.

The problem is that even when you set the date, your Poky system
does not use it when the system is rebooted because of this bug.

The simplest work-around (until the bug fix is finalized) is to
add the 'coreutils' package to your image.

> Thanks&  Regards,
> Navani Kamal Srivastava

n.b. Please keep replies on the mailing list so that everyone
can benefit.

* Re: Unable to set system clock
@ 2012-01-13  6:47       ` Lauri Hintsala
From: Lauri Hintsala @ 2012-01-13  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: yocto, Navani Kamal Srivastava

Hello guys,

On 01/11/2012 01:36 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>>> There is a bug #1767 that can make the system always reset the clock
>>> to the saved timestamp on boot.
>> I am not pretty sure for this because I am able to set system clock
>> using freescale provided rootfs. This problem I am getting only with
>> poky rootfs. I guess I need to change some recipe. It would be a great
>> help if you can help me in that.
>
> The problem is that even when you set the date, your Poky system
> does not use it when the system is rebooted because of this bug.
>
> The simplest work-around (until the bug fix is finalized) is to
> add the 'coreutils' package to your image.

I found the same bug and I fixed it in December. I didn't know there was
open bug related to that. Anyway patch is available in master branch of
poky:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=91367de75575e79a94b2f90b6b7aa8740a039fc5

Regards,
Lauri Hintsala