* [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
@ 2012-01-17 20:47 Cody Moreshead
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Cody Moreshead @ 2012-01-17 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Please can someone help.  I may be using mimmj in the near future and
have osme questions.  I need to be able to subscribe/unsubscribe users
vie email.  For example set an email to

Mlmmj+subscribe@mlmmj.org

With a body that has a bunch of emails to add.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Cody

* Re: [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
@ 2012-01-17 21:58 ` Thomas Goirand
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Goirand @ 2012-01-17 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 01/18/2012 04:47 AM, Cody Moreshead wrote:
> Please can someone help.  I may be using mimmj in the near future and
> have osme questions.  I need to be able to subscribe/unsubscribe users
> vie email.  For example set an email to
>
> Mlmmj+subscribe@mlmmj.org <mailto:Mlmmj+subscribe@mlmmj.org>
>
> With a body that has a bunch of emails to add.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cody

It's not working with what's in the body. Instead, you'd have to tweak
what's in the headers, and send multiple emails.

Alternatively, you could just write a script that would write in the
subscriber.d folder by yourself. I do that (on a web GUI), and it works
very well.

Thomas

* Re: [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
@ 2012-01-18  9:26 ` Mark Alan
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Alan @ 2012-01-18  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:47:39 -0700, "Cody Moreshead"
<cody@leachman.com> wrote:

> Please can someone help.  I may be using mimmj in the near future and
> have some questions.  I need to be able to subscribe/unsubscribe users
> via email.

A year ago I asked, in this mailing list, for the equivalent command to
what was being done by ezmlm (which was the main inspiration for the
mlmmj project). Which goes more or less like this:

1) An authorized sender (i.e. an email sent from an email address listed
in the subscription moderators file) would send an email to an
address like:
To:  some_list+subscribe-john.doe=example.com@domain.tld

2) And that would be the same as executing, at the @domain.tld mailing
list server console, this command:
 /usr/bin/mlmmj-sub -L /var/spool/mlmmj/some_list -a
some.user@example.com

3) The subscription moderator(s) would then receive the usual
subscription aproval email:

some.user@example.com

waiting. To approve this request, please send a reply to

some_list+moderate-subscribe2d381ca04db6edd3@domain.tld

Your mailer probably automatically replies to this address, when you hit
the reply button. If you don't want to approve the request, simply
ignore this message.

The following subscription moderators have received this mail:

some.admin1@domain.tld
some.admin2@domain.tld
for internet sitting servers), namely, some king of rudimentary
script to support a web interface.

M.

* Re: [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
@ 2012-01-19  6:03 ` Ben Schmidt
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2012-01-19  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 18/01/12 7:47 AM, Cody Moreshead wrote:
> Please can someone help. I may be using mimmj in the near future and have osme
> questions. I need to be able to subscribe/unsubscribe users vie email. For example
> set an email to
>
> Mlmmj+subscribe@mlmmj.org <mailto:Mlmmj+subscribe@mlmmj.org>
>
> With a body that has a bunch of emails to add.
>
> Can this be done?

Mlmmj doesn't have any functionality like this at the moment. I'm not
sure it's very likely to be added, either, because email is so easily
forged. Your mail server would effectively become an open relay for a
spammer if they could simply forge an email from an administrator to
subscribe a huge number of people to a mailing list and then send a
message to it for delivery.

Is there a particular reason you want or need to do this by email?
Perhaps if you explain your problem to us in more detail we could
suggest an alternative solution. Using the commandline or a web
interface behind some kind of authentication are strong possibilities.

Cheers,

Ben.

* RE: [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-19 15:24 ` Cody Moreshead
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Cody Moreshead @ 2012-01-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

I'll explain what we are doing to see if there is another solution.  We
have a mail list of ~12,000 people that get a weekly newsletter.  We
currently have a way to track subscribes and unsubscribes in our
business program that is based on SQL.  The mailist will be hosted on
our ISP's server.  What I was hoping is that at the end of each day I
could send two emails from the SQL server (easily done) to our ISP that
would automatically add and remove people from the list.  For various
reasons the person that does the newsletter does not want to relinquish
control of the additions/subtractions to the list.

Thanks for the help
Cody

On 18/01/12 7:47 AM, Cody Moreshead wrote:
> Please can someone help. I may be using mimmj in the near future and
> have osme questions. I need to be able to subscribe/unsubscribe users
> vie email. For example set an email to
>
> Mlmmj+subscribe@mlmmj.org <mailto:Mlmmj+subscribe@mlmmj.org>
>
> With a body that has a bunch of emails to add.
>
> Can this be done?

Mlmmj doesn't have any functionality like this at the moment. I'm not
sure it's very likely to be added, either, because email is so easily
forged. Your mail server would effectively become an open relay for a
spammer if they could simply forge an email from an administrator to
subscribe a huge number of people to a mailing list and then send a
message to it for delivery.

Is there a particular reason you want or need to do this by email?
Perhaps if you explain your problem to us in more detail we could
suggest an alternative solution. Using the commandline or a web
interface behind some kind of authentication are strong possibilities.

Cheers,

Ben.

* Re: [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-20  3:59 ` Robin H. Johnson
From: Robin H. Johnson @ 2012-01-20  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 08:24:55AM -0700, Cody Moreshead wrote:
> I'll explain what we are doing to see if there is another solution.  We
> have a mail list of ~12,000 people that get a weekly newsletter.  We
> currently have a way to track subscribes and unsubscribes in our
> business program that is based on SQL.  The mailist will be hosted on
> our ISP's server.  What I was hoping is that at the end of each day I
> could send two emails from the SQL server (easily done) to our ISP that
> would automatically add and remove people from the list.  For various
> reasons the person that does the newsletter does not want to relinquish
> control of the additions/subtractions to the list.
What ability do you have to run other code on the ISP's server?
If you have a shell account, you have more than enough ability to do
what you want in a much more secure manner.

It would however be useful if mlmmj-sub/unsub could take stdin for the
list of email addresses to add/remove, instead of having to exec them
for each address.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@gentoo.org

* Re: [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-20  9:00 ` Gerd v. Egidy
From: Gerd v. Egidy @ 2012-01-20  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi,

> We
> have a mail list of ~12,000 people that get a weekly newsletter.  We
> currently have a way to track subscribes and unsubscribes in our
> business program that is based on SQL.  The mailist will be hosted on
> our ISP's server.  What I was hoping is that at the end of each day I
> could send two emails from the SQL server (easily done) to our ISP that
> would automatically add and remove people from the list.

we had exactly the same problem two years ago. We came to the conclusion that
a mailinglist software like mlmmj is not the best solution for a newsletter
scenario.

We now have a software that is dedicated for sending newsletters. It has
several advantages like database imports from our crm software, personalized
mails, true formatting for multipart/alternative (you can control the html and
text part individually) and several more.

We have defined a view in our database which shows all recipients. Every time
we send a newsletter, I export this and import it on the newsletter server.
This is just two clicks.

We use http://www.superwebmailer.de/ but this seems to be available in German
only. But I guess there is similar software available in English too.

Kind regards,

Gerd

--
Address (better: trap) for people I really don't want to get mail from:
jonas@cactusamerica.com

* Re: [mlmmj] Add Suscribers
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-20 10:48 ` Mark Alan
From: Mark Alan @ 2012-01-20 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:24:55 -0700, "Cody Moreshead"
<cody@leachman.com> wrote:

> What I was hoping is that at the end of each day I
> could send two emails from the SQL server (easily done) to our ISP
> that would automatically add and remove people from the list.  For
> various reasons the person that does the newsletter does not want to
> relinquish control of the additions/subtractions to the list.

If you have root access to the servers, try this:

I. create a SQL script to export the 2 lists as 2 text files:
/tmp/subs.txt (will have the emails to be susbcribed)
  newuser1@example.com
  newuser2@example.tld
/tmp/unsubs.txt  (will have the emails to be unsusbcribed).
  byebyeuser1@example.com
  byebyeuser2@example.com

II. create cron jobs to run a shell command for each list:
05 23 * * * root /usr/bin/test -x /tmp/subs.txt
    && /bin/cat /tmp/subs.txt | /usr/bin/xargs -rn1 /usr/bin/mlmmj-sub
-L /var/spool/mlmmj/YOURLIST1 -a;

20 23 * * * root /usr/bin/test -x /tmp/unsubs.txt
  && /bin/cat /tmp/subs.txt | /usr/bin/xargs -rn1 /usr/bin/mlmmj-unsub
  -L /var/spool/mlmmj/YOURLIST1 -a;

From then on,
at 23h05 you will be subscribing the new users,
and at 23h20 you will be unsubscribing those that should not be with you
anymore.
And if you use 20 * * * * , instead of  20 23 * * * , you will be doing
that every 20 minutes.

Please note that shell commands inside cron jobs do like to use full
paths.

M.