* [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
@ 2012-01-22 18:59 Thomas Goirand
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Thomas Goirand @ 2012-01-22 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

Hi,

Is there a plan to rename mlmmj-recieve as mlmmj-receive, as it should?
IMHO, that'd be a good thing to fix this typo. There's many way to have
a transition, one of them would be to have a symlink for few years, then
remove the old one later on, once everyone had enough time to fix their
setup (or keep the old one forever, I don't mind that, I just mind that
someone would type it without the spelling mistake and fail to
understand what happens...).

Thoughts?

Thomas

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
@ 2012-01-22 19:24 ` Lukas Fleischer
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Lukas Fleischer @ 2012-01-22 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 02:59:55AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a plan to rename mlmmj-recieve as mlmmj-receive, as it should?
> IMHO, that'd be a good thing to fix this typo. There's many way to have
> a transition, one of them would be to have a symlink for few years, then
> remove the old one later on, once everyone had enough time to fix their
> setup (or keep the old one forever, I don't mind that, I just mind that
> someone would type it without the spelling mistake and fail to
> understand what happens...).
>
> Thoughts?

+1. Rename that script, add a backwards compatibility symlink and
mention the renaming in the ChangeLog and/or in the next release
announcement.

> Thomas

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
@ 2012-01-22 19:26 ` Lukas Fleischer
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Lukas Fleischer @ 2012-01-22 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 08:24:59PM +0100, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 02:59:55AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a plan to rename mlmmj-recieve as mlmmj-receive, as it should?
> > IMHO, that'd be a good thing to fix this typo. There's many way to have
> > a transition, one of them would be to have a symlink for few years, then
> > remove the old one later on, once everyone had enough time to fix their
> > setup (or keep the old one forever, I don't mind that, I just mind that
> > someone would type it without the spelling mistake and fail to
> > understand what happens...).
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> +1. Rename that script, add a backwards compatibility symlink and

s/script/binary/ :)

> mention the renaming in the ChangeLog and/or in the next release
> announcement.
>

> > Thomas

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
@ 2012-01-23  0:13 ` Ben Schmidt
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2012-01-23  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

> Is there a plan to rename mlmmj-recieve as mlmmj-receive, as it
> should? IMHO, that'd be a good thing to fix this typo.

This has already been done in version control
(http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj/rev/dfc9ab125fd4).

This (and a LOT of other changes, big and small) are reflected in the
current changelog (http://mlmmj.org/hg/mlmmj/file/master/ChangeLog)
which is well worth a read.

We are pretty overdue for a release.

> There's many way to have a transition, one of them would be to have a
> symlink for few years, then remove the old one later on, once everyone
> had enough time to fix their setup

That's my current intention.

Smiles,

Ben.

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-23  7:04 ` Thomas Goirand
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas Goirand @ 2012-01-23  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 01/23/2012 08:13 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
> We are pretty overdue for a release.

+1 :)

When do you think this will happen?

Thomas

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-23 17:44 ` Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2012-01-23 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 23/01/12 6:04 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 01/23/2012 08:13 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
>> We are pretty overdue for a release.
>
> +1 :)
>
> When do you think this will happen?

As soon as possible. :-)

I believe I have finished all the feature implementation I intend to do;
I just have two more changes to push out after a little testing.

How long it will take to get a final release will depend a lot on the
community's ability to help with code review and testing. This release
has a lot of changes and new features and as such really needs both
those things.

I will probably publish an alpha release at the end of the month, and a
beta once some code review has been done. The final release will follow
after some positive feedback.

Cheers,

Ben.

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-23 21:43 ` Thomas Goirand
From: Thomas Goirand @ 2012-01-23 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

On 01/24/2012 01:44 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
> On 23/01/12 6:04 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> On 01/23/2012 08:13 AM, Ben Schmidt wrote:
>>> We are pretty overdue for a release.
>>
>> +1 :)
>>
>> When do you think this will happen?
>
> As soon as possible. :-)
>
> I believe I have finished all the feature implementation I intend to do;
> I just have two more changes to push out after a little testing.
>
> How long it will take to get a final release will depend a lot on the
> community's ability to help with code review and testing. This release
> has a lot of changes and new features and as such really needs both
> those things.
>
> I will probably publish an alpha release at the end of the month, and a
> beta once some code review has been done. The final release will follow
> after some positive feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.

Just a reminder: Debian 7.0 (code name: Wheezy) is planned to be frozen
in June. So, I'll be aiming at it, and hope to get things right for it.

Cheers,

Thomas

* Re: [mlmmj] mlmmj-recieve -> mlmmj-receive
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-24  0:07 ` Ben Schmidt
From: Ben Schmidt @ 2012-01-24  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mlmmj

> Just a reminder: Debian 7.0 (code name: Wheezy) is planned to be
> frozen in June. So, I'll be aiming at it, and hope to get things right
> for it.

Thanks a lot for letting me know. We'll definitely want to be part of
that.

Smiles,

Ben.