* blktrace vs ftrace
@ 2012-02-02 10:20 Matthias Brugger
From: Matthias Brugger @ 2012-02-02 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

I'm trying to analize I/O behavior of Qemu on the host.

I used blktrace and the blk tracer for ftrace but I see different I/O
behavior.
I use 4 threads in the VM each reading sequentially a file. Readahead is
turned off. With blktrace reads are transmitted in a sequential way,
which means the next read will be executed when the first one has
completed. In comparison with ftrace, up to 4 reads are issued to the
disk in parallel.

I suppose the different behaviors are due to the overhead introduced by
the tracers.
My doubt is, which tracer has less influence on the I/O behaviour and
therefore reflects the system behaviour without tracing.

Thanks a lot,
Matthias

---
http://motzblog.wordpress.com/