* Wireless Problem
@ 2012-02-09 19:00 Vince Radice
From: Vince Radice @ 2012-02-09 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Hi,

     I am having a problem trying to get a Netgear WNA3100 adapter
working.  I have probably been through 100+ posts and threads trying to
figure out what is happening.  I have attached two files.  One contains
the output from dmesg.  The other has the output from several commands
as requested in the doc.

     I have the latest of all of the commonly used software -
ndiswrapper, Broadcom STA, Fedora FC16 with all updates, b43-fwcutter,
and a lot more that I can't remember.

     The pc I am using has an ethernet connection.  I am trying to get
the wireless working there.  I am not able to successfully connect to my
home wireless network.  I can somewhat connect by manually assigning the
IP address.  It will connect and assign an IP address but I can't do
anything.  If I try ping, I get host unreachable.

     My question stems from a lack of what to do.  Looking at your
documentation, I see references to b43-fwcutter.  Do I have to do
something with that program? I have read what it does, but no where have
I read anything about me having to do something to get the firmware.

     Another question is which drivers should I be using - Broadcom STA,
b43, or ndiswrapper with windows drivers for xp?  I have tried to get
all of these working at some point.  I may have tried running several at
the same time as I don't know how to check what is being used.  I can
list what is installed.

     Should I open a thread some place?  If so, I was thinking the
Networking forum at Fedora.  I found your site listed in one recent post
there.  I could add to it.

     Thanks in advance for any help and advice you give.

Vince Radice
> ? ?I am having a problem trying to get a Netgear WNA3100 adapter working. ?I
> have probably been through 100+ posts and threads trying to figure out what
> is happening. ?I have attached two files. ?One contains the output from
> dmesg. ?The other has the output from several commands as requested in the
> doc.

This is BCM43231, fullmac device, nothing to-be-covered by b43 driver.
The driver that may support this chipset is brcmfmac, but for now only
support for BCM4329, BCM4330 and BCM43236 was recently-added. I think
I remember Arend saying they are not working on support for BCM43231
for now. I may be wrong however.

We could try hacking support for this chipset by just extracting
firmware for BCM43231 and adding proper USB ID in brcmfmac. I don't
think anyone is working on this.

--
Rafa?

* Wireless Problem
@ 2012-02-09 19:38   ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2012-02-09 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On 02/09/2012 08:17 PM, Rafa? Mi?ecki wrote:
> 2012/2/9 Vince Radice <vhradice@cfl.rr.com>:
>>    I am having a problem trying to get a Netgear WNA3100 adapter working.  I
>> have probably been through 100+ posts and threads trying to figure out what
>> is happening.  I have attached two files.  One contains the output from
>> dmesg.  The other has the output from several commands as requested in the
>> doc.
>
> This is BCM43231, fullmac device, nothing to-be-covered by b43 driver.
> The driver that may support this chipset is brcmfmac, but for now only
> support for BCM4329, BCM4330 and BCM43236 was recently-added. I think
> I remember Arend saying they are not working on support for BCM43231
> for now. I may be wrong however.

You are correct.

> We could try hacking support for this chipset by just extracting
> firmware for BCM43231 and adding proper USB ID in brcmfmac. I don't
> think anyone is working on this.

I believe the API between driver and firmware is different so expect
problems doing that. I can inform just how different.

Gr. AvS

* Wireless Problem
@ 2012-02-09 20:55     ` Vince Radice
From: Vince Radice @ 2012-02-09 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Thank you for the quick response.  Some of the posts that I looked at
indicated success with what was available, but they never came back with
the proper list of what worked.

     As for my question about b43-fwcutter, do I do something with this
or is it done behind the scenes by a driver?

     Also, some have had success with the STA drivers.  I believe that I
have installed them with yum.  How can I tell if they are being used?
Can I somehow tie those drivers with my usb adapter?

Again, thanks,

Vince Radice

On 02/09/2012 02:38 PM, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 08:17 PM, Rafa? Mi?ecki wrote:
>> 2012/2/9 Vince Radice<vhradice@cfl.rr.com>:
>>>     I am having a problem trying to get a Netgear WNA3100 adapter working.  I
>>> have probably been through 100+ posts and threads trying to figure out what
>>> is happening.  I have attached two files.  One contains the output from
>>> dmesg.  The other has the output from several commands as requested in the
>>> doc.
>> This is BCM43231, fullmac device, nothing to-be-covered by b43 driver.
>> The driver that may support this chipset is brcmfmac, but for now only
>> support for BCM4329, BCM4330 and BCM43236 was recently-added. I think
>> I remember Arend saying they are not working on support for BCM43231
>> for now. I may be wrong however.
> You are correct.
>
>> We could try hacking support for this chipset by just extracting
>> firmware for BCM43231 and adding proper USB ID in brcmfmac. I don't
>> think anyone is working on this.
>>
> I believe the API between driver and firmware is different so expect
> problems doing that. I can inform just how different.
>
> Gr. AvS

* Wireless Problem
@ 2012-02-10  6:13       ` Rafał Miłecki
From: Rafał Miłecki @ 2012-02-10  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

W dniu 9 lutego 2012 21:55 u?ytkownik Vince Radice
<vhradice@cfl.rr.com> napisa?:
> ? ?As for my question about b43-fwcutter, do I do something with this or is
> it done behind the scenes by a driver?

No idea what are you asking about. What do you mean by "I do
something"? What are you trying to achieve?
b43 driver won't work this this card. b43-fwcutter is firmware
extractor for b43 driver. It's not needed for this card.

> ? ?Also, some have had success with the STA drivers. ?I believe that I have
> installed them with yum. ?How can I tell if they are being used? ?Can I
> somehow tie those drivers with my usb adapter?

I don't think STA supports fullmac devices (like your USB one). You
can list loaded modules by "lsmod"
hint:
lsmod | grep wl
lsmod | grep b43
etc.

lspci also shows currently used driver when using verbose mode (lspci -v):
06:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100 AGN
        Memory at d1500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
        (...)
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

P.S.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Please, bottom-post.

--
Rafa?

* Re: wireless problem
@ 2010-09-12 17:37 ` Gábor Stefanik
From: Gábor Stefanik @ 2010-09-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Baker; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Simon Baker
<simon.baker7@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> hi,just wondering if you can help me with a problem ive been having
> when running the backtrack 3 program.i have windows 7 on my hp
> pavillion laptop and my built-in wifi works fine but when i boot
> backtrack it wont work.i looked in my hp wireless assistant and it
> says i have 4 network adapter problems.could this be anything to do
> with it? ive tried to update the drivers which it says to do but for
> some reason it cant update them so im in limbo when it comes to fixing
> the adapter issues

BackTrack 3 is very old (has 2.6.21 kernel, no longer
supported/maintained). Please test with BackTrack 4.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

* wireless problem
@ 2010-09-12 12:32 Simon Baker