* cross compile linux
@ 2012-02-11  7:05 chromaticwt zac
From: chromaticwt zac @ 2012-02-11  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

what is the proper way to cross compile the linux kernel from one arch to
another? specifically,
i386 -> ppc.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* cross compile linux
@ 2012-02-11  9:15 ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2012-02-11  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM, chromaticwt zac <zac.3.14159@gmail.com> wrote:
> what is the proper way to cross compile the linux kernel from one arch to
> another? specifically,
> i386 -> ppc.

You should use a cross-compiler. I recommend you crosstool-ng.
Use google for references. [1]

thanks,
Daniel.

[1] http://forum.samdroid.net/wiki/showwiki/How+to+build+cross+toolchains+for+ARM+crosstool-NG

* cross compile linux
@ 2012-02-11 10:02   ` Matthias Brugger
From: Matthias Brugger @ 2012-02-11 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 02/11/2012 10:15 AM, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM, chromaticwt zac<zac.3.14159@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> what is the proper way to cross compile the linux kernel from one arch to
>> another? specifically,
>> i386 ->  ppc.
>
> You should use a cross-compiler. I recommend you crosstool-ng.
> Use google for references. [1]
>
> thanks,
> Daniel.
>
> [1] http://forum.samdroid.net/wiki/showwiki/How+to+build+cross+toolchains+for+ARM+crosstool-NG

Apart from that in the Makefile you have to specify with
ARCH ?= ppc
and in CROSS_COMPILE the prefix of your cross compiler (e.g. pcc-linux-)

beware that the corss compile toolchain is in you $PATH.

If you want to cross compile for an embedded Linux board, have a look at
buildroot. With this tool you can build the whole userspace environment
to get a shell running.

good luck,
matthias

--
---
http://motzblog.wordpress.com/

* cross compile linux
@ 2012-02-12 11:17 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2012-02-12 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:05, chromaticwt zac <zac.3.14159@gmail.com> wrote:
> what is the proper way to cross compile the linux kernel from one arch to
> another? specifically,
> i386 -> ppc.

Just adding to what others had said, you might also consider ptxdist
or scratchbox to automate such cross compiling things. Of course, your
mileage may vary

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* cross compile linux
@ 2012-02-12 23:38   ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2012-02-12 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:05, chromaticwt zac <zac.3.14159@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > what is the proper way to cross compile the linux kernel from one arch to
> > another? specifically,
> > i386 -> ppc.

Try this tutorial
http://free-electrons.com/docs/toolchains/

Their are automated toolchains provided on this site, i think they are
called buildroot toolchains:
 http://kegel.com/crosstools

or you can also use uClibc / busy box toolchain.
http://uclibc.org/toolchains.html

@ 2012-02-12 23:40     ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2012-02-12 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar <
chambilkethakur@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Mulyadi Santosa <
> mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 14:05, chromaticwt zac <zac.3.14159@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > what is the proper way to cross compile the linux kernel from one arch
>> > another? specifically,
>> > i386 -> ppc.
>>
> Try this tutorial
> http://free-electrons.com/docs/toolchains/
>
> Their are automated toolchains provided on this site, i think they are
> called buildroot toolchains:
>  http://kegel.com/crosstools
>
> or you can also use uClibc / busy box toolchain.
> http://uclibc.org/toolchains.html

correction kegel buildtoort can be found here
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/