* how do I contribute to yocto
@ 2012-02-20 14:03 Joshua Immanuel
From: Joshua Immanuel @ 2012-02-20 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Hello all,
	In the process of creating my custom image, I ended up writing new
recipes for packages which does not exist in yocto. I think it will be
useful for others. I use the edison branch for my work, and I add the
new recipes to my custom layer without disturbing the edison branch. So,
how do I contribute these new recipes?

Read the wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Contribution_Guidelines
it doesn't mention about the branch to use etc.

Can someone guide me.

Regards
Joshua
--
Joshua Immanuel
HiPro IT Solutions Private Limited

* Re: how do I contribute to yocto
@ 2012-02-20 18:24 ` Scott Garman
From: Scott Garman @ 2012-02-20 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 02/20/2012 06:03 AM, Joshua Immanuel wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	In the process of creating my custom image, I ended up writing new
> recipes for packages which does not exist in yocto. I think it will be
> useful for others. I use the edison branch for my work, and I add the
> new recipes to my custom layer without disturbing the edison branch. So,
> how do I contribute these new recipes?
>
> Read the wiki https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Contribution_Guidelines
> it doesn't mention about the branch to use etc.
>
> Can someone guide me.

Hi Joshua,

I'd put your layer up on a git repo somewhere (GitHub?) and make sure
you have a note in your layer's README file that mentions that the layer
is intended for use with the edison release.

If you're looking to maintain this layer for multiple releases of Yocto,
it may make sense to maintain a similar branch structure - i.e, your
master branch aims to build with Poky master, edison branch builds with
edison, etc.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project

* Re: how do I contribute to yocto
@ 2012-02-21  5:40   ` Joshua Immanuel
From: Joshua Immanuel @ 2012-02-21  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Garman; +Cc: yocto

Hello Scott,

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 10:24 -0800, Scott Garman wrote:
> I'd put your layer up on a git repo somewhere (GitHub?) and make sure
> you have a note in your layer's README file that mentions that the
> layer is intended for use with the edison release.

But my entire layer won't be useful to everyone, as it contains recipes
for my user space applications too. But, there are certain recipes for
some useful packages which are not available in edison and master
branch. So, how to go about it?

Regards
Joshua
--

@ 2012-02-21  6:12     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2012-02-21  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Immanuel; +Cc: yocto, Scott Garman

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Joshua Immanuel <josh@hipro.co.in> wrote:
> But my entire layer won't be useful to everyone, as it contains recipes
> for my user space applications too. But, there are certain recipes for
> some useful packages which are not available in edison and master
> branch. So, how to go about it?

there are other layers which you could look into and see if those
recipe make sense to any of these layers please see
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex
if not host them in your layer if u wish to maintain them and add your
layer to above index

* Re: how do I contribute to yocto
@ 2012-02-21  6:22       ` Joshua Immanuel
From: Joshua Immanuel @ 2012-02-21  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto, Scott Garman

Hello Khem Raj,

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 22:12 -0800, Khem Raj wrote:
> there are other layers which you could look into and see if those
> recipe make sense to any of these layers please see
> http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/LayerIndex
> if not host them in your layer if u wish to maintain them and add your
> layer to above index

Ok. Will see whether any layer has the recipes that I wrote, if not I
will host them separately.

Regards
Joshua
--

@ 2012-02-22 15:49   ` Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2012-02-22 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 02/20/2012 01:24 PM, Scott Garman wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 06:03 AM, Joshua Immanuel wrote:

I ended up writing new
>> recipes for packages which does not exist in yocto. I think it will be
>> useful for others. <snip> So, how do I contribute these new recipes?
>>

> Hi Joshua,
>
> I'd put your layer up on a git repo somewhere (GitHub?) and make sure
> you have a note in your layer's README file that mentions that the layer
> is intended for use with the edison release.
>

> Scott

Doesn't this project accept new community driven / supplied recipes?

* Re: how do I contribute to yocto
@ 2012-02-22 16:47     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2012-02-22 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Cochran; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Bob Cochran <yocto@mindchasers.com> wrote:

> Doesn't this project accept new community driven / supplied recipes?

Certainly it does. Layers are part of project.