* [Xenomai-core] Using xenomai with standard ethernet driver
@ 2012-03-21 16:48 Roberto Bielli
From: Roberto Bielli @ 2012-03-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

i want to use xenomai for sending standard tcp/ip packets.
Is it possible to rewrite the ethernet driver for xenomai without using
rtnet ?
Or if i use rtnet is there a way to send standard tcp packet instead
rtnet packets ?

Thanks for all.

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Roberto Bielli
Sviluppo Software
Axel S.r.l.

Via Del Cannino, 3
21020 Crosio Della Valle
Varese - Italy

Telefono: +39 0332 949600
Fax:      +39 0332 969315

E-mail:   roberto.bielli@domain.hid
Web Site: www.axelsw.it

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Si precisa che le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate e ad uso esclusivo del destinatario.
Qualora il messaggio in parola Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La preghiamo di eliminarlo senza copiarlo e di non inoltrarlo a terzi,
dandocene gentilmente comunicazione. Grazie.
Informativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (D. Lgs. 196/2003).
I dati utilizzati per la spedizione del presente messaggio sono utilizzati da Axel S.r.l., titolare del trattamento,
per l'invio delle comunicazioni dei diversi settori aziendali, non essendo autorizzata la divulgazione a terzi.
Potrete rivolgere alla seguente mail richieste di verifica, rettifica o cancellazione dei Vostri dati: info@domain.hid

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain privileged information
intended for the addressee(s) only. Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody
else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this message and any attachments and advise the sender
by return e-mail.Thank you.

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

* Re: [Xenomai-core] Using xenomai with standard ethernet driver
@ 2012-03-22 15:30 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2012-03-22 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Bielli; +Cc: xenomai

On 2012-03-21 17:48, Roberto Bielli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to use xenomai for sending standard tcp/ip packets.
> Is it possible to rewrite the ethernet driver for xenomai without using
> rtnet ?
> Or if i use rtnet is there a way to send standard tcp packet instead
> rtnet packets ?

Is the TCP/IP communication itself part of your time-critical path, or
could it run with lower priority as well?

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai-core] Using xenomai with standard ethernet driver
@ 2012-03-22 16:37   ` Roberto Bielli
From: Roberto Bielli @ 2012-03-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai

I explain better the problem.

I want to use ethernet driver raw without using all the abstract layer
(tcp, socket etc....)
and my xenomai application must link to the raw driver without enter in
secondary mode.

Have i change the driver interface with xenomai calls (rtdm_......) or
is there another chance ?

Thanks a lot for your response.

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

@ 2012-03-23  9:06     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2012-03-23  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Bielli; +Cc: xenomai

On 2012-03-22 17:37, Roberto Bielli wrote:
> I explain better the problem.
>
> I want to use ethernet driver raw without using all the abstract layer
> (tcp, socket etc....)
> and my xenomai application must link to the raw driver without enter in
> secondary mode.
>
> Have i change the driver interface with xenomai calls (rtdm_......) or
> is there another chance ?

Did you check if RTnet already has support for your NIC? Then you are
fine with a stack of rtnet.ko, rtpacket.ko, and <your-nic>.ko.

If not, there are two options
 - add an RTnet driver for you hardware
 - implement some home-brewed stack

The second option may only look different on first sight. But,
specifically if your application is not kernel-hosted but a proper
userspace app, RTnet provides quite a few useful building blocks for
your scenario.

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai-core] Using xenomai with standard ethernet driver
@ 2012-03-23 11:18       ` Roberto Bielli
From: Roberto Bielli @ 2012-03-23 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai

Hi Jan,

i want to send and receive custom raw packets over ethernet.
is it possibile with RTnet or it sends only rtnet packets ?

Thanks for your response.

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

@ 2012-03-23 12:14         ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2012-03-23 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Bielli; +Cc: xenomai

On 2012-03-23 12:18, Roberto Bielli wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> i want to send and receive custom raw packets over ethernet.
> is it possibile with RTnet or it sends only rtnet packets ?
>
> Thanks for your response.

RTnet is modular, and if you use the stack a sketched, you are free to
define the payload of the sent Ethernet frames on your own.

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai-core] Using xenomai with standard ethernet driver
@ 2012-03-23 13:46           ` Roberto Bielli
From: Roberto Bielli @ 2012-03-23 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: xenomai

Hi Jan,

if i want to send a raw ethernet (for example for implement ethercat
communication) so the best practise for xenomai is
to transform the linux base driver to xenomai driver. Is it correct ?

Thanks for all

--