* Git push to samba/cifs share fails
@ 2012-03-30 16:23 Emanuel Rietveld
From: Emanuel Rietveld @ 2012-03-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I get an error message when I try to push my git repository to a share
mounted with mount.cifs.

[emanuel@faseri01 frog]$ sudo mount.cifs //windows2003/emanuel /mnt/e -o
user=emanuel,uid=500
Password:
[emanuel@faseri01 frog]$ mkdir /mnt/e/frog.git
[emanuel@faseri01 frog]$ git init --bare /mnt/e/frog.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /mnt/e/frog.git/
[emanuel@faseri01 frog]$ git push /mnt/e/frog.git/ master
Counting objects: 18, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (16/16), done.
fatal: error when closing sha1 file: Bad file descriptor
error: pack-objects died of signal 13
error: failed to push some refs to '/mnt/e/frog.git/'
[emanuel@faseri01 frog]$ du -hs
67M	.
[emanuel@faseri01 frog]$ uname -a
Linux faseri01 3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 20 18:05:40 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[emanuel@faseri01 frog]$ git --version
git version 1.7.7.6

This repository is 67M. I do not have any git hooks configured. Another,
smaller repository works without errors if I follow the same procedure.
The client is a fully up to date Fedora 16 machine. The server is a
windows 2003 server.

Is this kind of usage possible with git? I just want to back up my
repository to the fileserver.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Emanuel Rietveld

* Re: Git push to samba/cifs share fails
@ 2012-03-31 18:47 ` Sebastian Schuberth
From: Sebastian Schuberth @ 2012-03-31 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Rietveld; +Cc: git

On 30.03.2012 18:23, Emanuel Rietveld wrote:

> I get an error message when I try to push my git repository to a share
> mounted with mount.cifs.

Hmm, I wonder if this is related to msysgit's "Cannot fetch to mapped
network drives (Samba)" issue here:

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=130

Please note that the msysgit issue tracker is closed, so you should not
place any comments there. Post to the msysgit mailing list instead.

--
Sebastian Schuberth

* Re: Git push to samba/cifs share fails
@ 2012-04-04  8:35   ` Emanuel Rietveld
From: Emanuel Rietveld @ 2012-04-04  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Schuberth; +Cc: git

On 03/31/2012 08:47 PM, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> On 30.03.2012 18:23, Emanuel Rietveld wrote:
>
>> I get an error message when I try to push my git repository to a share
>> mounted with mount.cifs.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if this is related to msysgit's "Cannot fetch to mapped
> network drives (Samba)" issue here:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=130
>
> Please note that the msysgit issue tracker is closed, so you should not
> place any comments there. Post to the msysgit mailing list instead.

Thank you for the link.

I am not using msysgit. My client is Fedora Linux 16 using git version
1.7.7.6. What excuse can I use to post to the msysgit mailing list for
this non-msys git problem?

I tried a git fetch as mentioned in the ticket and it fails with the
below error message (same as git clone/git push).

[emanuel@f16machine /mnt/win2003share/frog.git]$ git fetch ~/proj/frog/
remote: Counting objects: 18, done.
fatal: error when closing sha1 file: Bad file descriptor

I tried the suggestion in comment #14, which links to
http://marc.info/?l=git&m=123797834905157&w=2 That is a very interesting
email thread, but the suggestions do not solve the problem.

Doing git config core.fsyncobjectfiles = true on both source and
destination git repositories makes no difference. Same error.

My cifs server OS is not samba on Linux, but a windows 2003 server.
A comment in the linked ticket claims that he only has problems on linux
samba shares, not on windows shares. The ticket says it was eventually
fixed on the server side. Is windows 2003 broken? Do I need to upgrade
to windows 2008 to use git over cifs shares?

Thanks for your time.

@ 2012-04-04 12:50     ` Sebastian Schuberth
From: Sebastian Schuberth @ 2012-04-04 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Rietveld; +Cc: git

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:35, Emanuel Rietveld <codehotter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not using msysgit. My client is Fedora Linux 16 using git version
> 1.7.7.6. What excuse can I use to post to the msysgit mailing list for this
> non-msys git problem?

Well, I was thinking that if there's a problem with a Linux server and
Windows client, a similar issue might exist when using a Windows
server and Linux client. You could just ask on the msysgit mailing
list whether someone has problems using Windows shares exported by a
Windows Server 2003 installation.

> samba shares, not on windows shares. The ticket says it was eventually fixed
> on the server side. Is windows 2003 broken? Do I need to upgrade to windows
> 2008 to use git over cifs shares?

I have no idea, sorry, other that just trying to use Windows Server
2008 (e.g. in a VM) to see if that solves the problem, and if so,
upgrade your installation.

--
Sebastian Schuberth