* ccache
@ 2012-04-03 17:31 Gary Thomas
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-04-03 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Poky Project

Why is ccache being used for Poky/Yocto builds?  My understanding is
that it's a win for _rebuilds_ of the same/related files, but there's
not a whole lot of that going on.

If I build core-image-sato from scratch, I end up with ${BUILD}/tmp/ccache
which is 1.8GB - quite a bite!  Is there some way to disable this?, other
than not have ccache on my host computer (not an option as it is useful
for other builds I do)

* Re: ccache
@ 2012-04-03 17:36 ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2012-04-03 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> Why is ccache being used for Poky/Yocto builds?  My understanding is
> that it's a win for _rebuilds_ of the same/related files, but there's
> not a whole lot of that going on.
>
> If I build core-image-sato from scratch, I end up with ${BUILD}/tmp/ccache
> which is 1.8GB - quite a bite!  Is there some way to disable this?, other
> than not have ccache on my host computer (not an option as it is useful
> for other builds I do)

I think the default behavior of using ccache when it's installed is
extremely bad, and dangerous, in that the ccache object cache is of
both limited usefulness, as you say, and the object cache can get
corrupted, leading to extremely odd behavior (and it's rarely a place
you think to look as a cause). At Mentor we disabled this behavior,
and I really, really think we should do so in the default oe-core
bitbake.conf.
--
Christopher Larson

* Re: ccache
@ 2012-04-05  1:45 ` Ni Qingliang
From: Ni Qingliang @ 2012-04-05  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project

On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 01:31 +0800, Gary Thomas wrote:
> Why is ccache being used for Poky/Yocto builds?  My understanding is
> that it's a win for _rebuilds_ of the same/related files, but there's
> not a whole lot of that going on.
>
> If I build core-image-sato from scratch, I end up with ${BUILD}/tmp/ccache
> which is 1.8GB - quite a bite!  Is there some way to disable this?, other
> than not have ccache on my host computer (not an option as it is useful
> for other builds I do)

I add following line in the 'local.conf':
CCACHE=""

--
Yi Qingliang
niqingliang@insigma.com.cn

* Re: ccache
@ 2012-04-11  0:51   ` Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2012-04-11  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Larson; +Cc: Poky Project

On 04/03/2012 01:36 PM, Chris Larson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Gary Thomas<gary@mlbassoc.com>  wrote:
>> Why is ccache being used for Poky/Yocto builds?  My understanding is
>> that it's a win for _rebuilds_ of the same/related files, but there's
>> not a whole lot of that going on.
>>
>> If I build core-image-sato from scratch, I end up with ${BUILD}/tmp/ccache
>> which is 1.8GB - quite a bite!  Is there some way to disable this?, other
>> than not have ccache on my host computer (not an option as it is useful
>> for other builds I do)
>
> I think the default behavior of using ccache when it's installed is
> extremely bad, and dangerous, in that the ccache object cache is of
> both limited usefulness, as you say, and the object cache can get
> corrupted, leading to extremely odd behavior (and it's rarely a place
> you think to look as a cause). At Mentor we disabled this behavior,
> and I really, really think we should do so in the default oe-core
> bitbake.conf.

It would be nice / cleaner to not build out the hollow ccache directory
structure under tmp when ccache isn't installed or being used.  Seeing
it there under tmp with levels of empty sub directories beneath it is
somewhat confusing.

* Re: ccache
@ 2012-04-11 12:20     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-04-11 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Cochran; +Cc: Chris Larson, Poky Project

On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 20:51 -0400, Bob Cochran wrote:
> On 04/03/2012 01:36 PM, Chris Larson wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Gary Thomas<gary@mlbassoc.com>  wrote:
> >> Why is ccache being used for Poky/Yocto builds?  My understanding is
> >> that it's a win for _rebuilds_ of the same/related files, but there's
> >> not a whole lot of that going on.
> >>
> >> If I build core-image-sato from scratch, I end up with ${BUILD}/tmp/ccache
> >> which is 1.8GB - quite a bite!  Is there some way to disable this?, other
> >> than not have ccache on my host computer (not an option as it is useful
> >> for other builds I do)
> >
> > I think the default behavior of using ccache when it's installed is
> > extremely bad, and dangerous, in that the ccache object cache is of
> > both limited usefulness, as you say, and the object cache can get
> > corrupted, leading to extremely odd behavior (and it's rarely a place
> > you think to look as a cause). At Mentor we disabled this behavior,
> > and I really, really think we should do so in the default oe-core
> > bitbake.conf.
>

> It would be nice / cleaner to not build out the hollow ccache directory
> structure under tmp when ccache isn't installed or being used.  Seeing
> it there under tmp with levels of empty sub directories beneath it is
> somewhat confusing.

I'm tempted to move all the ccache stuff into a separate class and then
drop the inherit by default.

Patches welcome for 1.3...

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: ccache
@ 2012-04-12  9:03 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2012-04-12  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: Poky Project

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 11:31 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> Why is ccache being used for Poky/Yocto builds?  My understanding is
> that it's a win for _rebuilds_ of the same/related files, but there's
> not a whole lot of that going on.
>
> If I build core-image-sato from scratch, I end up with ${BUILD}/tmp/ccache
> which is 1.8GB - quite a bite!  Is there some way to disable this?,

CCACHE = ""

in a conf file.

Cheers,

Richard