* pnx_clocksource broken?
@ 2012-04-11  1:58 John Stultz
From: John Stultz @ 2012-04-11  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle; +Cc: Yong Zhang, linux-mips

Looking at arch/mips/pnx8550/common/time.c the pnx_clocksource never
seems to be assigned a mult/shift value before it calls
clocksource_register(). Clearly this is broken and I suspect this
clocksource is never used.

I was hoping to convert this driver over (its the last of 3 remaining)
to use clocksource_register_hz/khz() but I'm not sure what the actual
frequency of the hardware should be. Is mips_hpt_frequency the right
value here?

Even so, if this is clocksource is never used, should it just be removed?

thanks
-john

* Any NXP PNX user left (was: Re: pnx_clocksource broken?)
@ 2012-04-16 14:00 ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2012-04-16 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stultz; +Cc: Yong Zhang, linux-mips

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 06:58:09PM -0700, John Stultz wrote:

> Looking at arch/mips/pnx8550/common/time.c the pnx_clocksource never
> seems to be assigned a mult/shift value before it calls
> clocksource_register(). Clearly this is broken and I suspect this
> clocksource is never used.
>
> I was hoping to convert this driver over (its the last of 3
> remaining) to use clocksource_register_hz/khz() but I'm not sure
> what the actual frequency of the hardware should be. Is
> mips_hpt_frequency the right value here?
>
> Even so, if this is clocksource is never used, should it just be removed?

Iow PNX has not had a functioning clocksource for a very long time.  Equally
there has not been any user feedback for ages and I wonder if that makes the
PNX code a candidate for removal.

Any remaining PNX users should raise their voice now or PNX will be
toast.  Soon.

  Ralf

* Re: Any NXP PNX user left (was: Re: pnx_clocksource broken?)
@ 2013-01-22 11:54   ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2013-01-22 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Stultz; +Cc: Yong Zhang, linux-mips

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:00:40PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > Looking at arch/mips/pnx8550/common/time.c the pnx_clocksource never
> > seems to be assigned a mult/shift value before it calls
> > clocksource_register(). Clearly this is broken and I suspect this
> > clocksource is never used.
> >
> > I was hoping to convert this driver over (its the last of 3
> > remaining) to use clocksource_register_hz/khz() but I'm not sure
> > what the actual frequency of the hardware should be. Is
> > mips_hpt_frequency the right value here?
> >
> > Even so, if this is clocksource is never used, should it just be removed?
>
> Iow PNX has not had a functioning clocksource for a very long time.  Equally
> there has not been any user feedback for ages and I wonder if that makes the
> PNX code a candidate for removal.
>
> Any remaining PNX users should raise their voice now or PNX will be
> toast.  Soon.

Not soon at all but nobody's answered so I've removed all of PNX8550.

  Ralf