* Booting DT support without U-Boot supporting it
@ 2012-04-12  4:20 ` Viresh Kumar
From: Viresh Kumar @ 2012-04-12  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree-discuss-mnsaURCQ41sdnm+yROfE0A
  Cc: spear-devel, linux-arm-kernel-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r

Hi,

My U-boot is on an older version and that doesn't have DT support for ARM.
Now, is there any way of booting Linux with DT, without U-Boot supporting DT?

Like, if we can compile dtb somehow with Linux or something else?

--
viresh

From: Viresh Kumar @ 2012-04-12  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

My U-boot is on an older version and that doesn't have DT support for ARM.
Now, is there any way of booting Linux with DT, without U-Boot supporting DT?

Like, if we can compile dtb somehow with Linux or something else?

--
viresh

* Re: Booting DT support without U-Boot supporting it
@ 2012-04-12  5:19     ` Shawn Guo
From: Shawn Guo @ 2012-04-12  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viresh Kumar
  Cc: devicetree-discuss-mnsaURCQ41sdnm+yROfE0A,
	linux-arm-kernel-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r, spear-devel

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:50:39AM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My U-boot is on an older version and that doesn't have DT support for ARM.
> Now, is there any way of booting Linux with DT, without U-Boot supporting DT?

This is how I responded to Fabio on the same query a few hours ago :)

- Turn on CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB and CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT
- cat zImage mx27pdk.dtb > zImage_dtb
- Boot zImage_dtb as you do with zImage

Regards,
Shawn

From: Shawn Guo @ 2012-04-12  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2012-04-12  7:28       ` Dirk Behme
From: Dirk Behme @ 2012-04-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viresh Kumar; +Cc: spear-devel, Shawn Guo, linux-arm-kernel, devicetree-discuss

On 12.04.2012 07:19, Shawn Guo wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 09:50:39AM +0530, Viresh Kumar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My U-boot is on an older version and that doesn't have DT support for ARM.
>> Now, is there any way of booting Linux with DT, without U-Boot supporting DT?
>>
> This is how I responded to Fabio on the same query a few hours ago :)
>
> - Turn on CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB and CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT
> - cat zImage mx27pdk.dtb > zImage_dtb
> - Boot zImage_dtb as you do with zImage

Just fyi:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2012-March/091371.html

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2012-March/091457.html

Best regards

Dirk

From: Dirk Behme @ 2012-04-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

       [not found]     ` <20120412051947.GG2445-rvtDTF3kK1ictlrPMvKcciBecyulp+rMXqFh9Ls21Oc@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-04-12  8:43       ` Dennis.Yxun
From: Dennis.Yxun @ 2012-04-12  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn Guo; +Cc: devicetree-discuss-mnsaURCQ41sdnm+yROfE0A

hi Guo:
  I guess CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB and CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT are ARM
soc specific?
  So, what if I want to boot MIPS kernel, but without bootloader support DT?
  Thanks

Dennis

@ 2012-04-12 11:37     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-04-12 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viresh Kumar
  Cc: devicetree-discuss-mnsaURCQ41sdnm+yROfE0A, spear-devel,

On Thursday 12 April 2012, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> My U-boot is on an older version and that doesn't have DT support for ARM.
> Now, is there any way of booting Linux with DT, without U-Boot supporting DT?
>
> Like, if we can compile dtb somehow with Linux or something else?

Yes, see CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB and CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT.

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-04-12 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel