* prevent push of irrelevant tags
@ 2012-04-12 19:47 Rolf Leggewie
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2012-04-12 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

I just ran into the situation that "git push --tags" pushed tags to the
remote repo that point to commits that do not exist there.  How can this
happen?  Well, in my case it was because I have more than one remote
repo with non-overlapping tags and they cross-polluted each other.
Another possibility that comes to mind is local tags for
work-in-progress commits, for example.

Git has the information to know that tag X will be useless in repo Y
because the commit Z it points to does not exist in Y.  It would be nice
if "git push --tags" did the right thing and excluded irrelevant tags
when pushing.  Thank you for your attention and thank you for git!

Regards

Rolf